Really bad knock

Started by AutobahnSHO, October 07, 2012, 08:10:48 AM

AutobahnSHO

So besides Subie's CEL woes, I apparently broke it.  From driving while it was less than optimal.  Last week noticed a SUPER LOUD knock from somewhere inside, once per revolution of engine. The valves have always sounded noisy, but this is louder. 

Is it dead?
Is it safe to drive to a garage or get it towed??
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Dumb question: Does it have oil in it?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

rohan

if it was a pushrod engine i'ld say it's dead.   Sounds really bad though.  Best of luck. 
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Eye of the Tiger

LOL, because pushrods matter when you have a bad rod bearing.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 07, 2012, 08:57:17 AM
Dumb question: Does it have oil in it?

First thing I checked, it's full/cold.

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 07, 2012, 10:48:28 AM
LOL, because pushrods matter when you have a bad rod bearing.
This is what I fear- it's how my SHO died. (although that was at 100mph..)

Also I noticed the front pulley (for belts) wobbles.

How much to rebuild the crankshaft/rods/whatever?????
Will

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Secret Chimp

Is this only when it's cold? Subaru engines can get some kind of scary-sounding piston slap. Otherwise it sounds like a bearing suddenly let go.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

AutobahnSHO

It's always had a LOT of clatter from the valves, but this is definitely new- and I drove it on the interstate like that. (!!  to get home..)
No change after it warmed up.

So I could find an engine for under $1500(longblock no accessories) but then would have to do all the work, much potential for me messing it up.  If I pull the oilpan will I be able to tell if the cranshaft/bearings need replaced? And I'm guessing it's still above my skill level.  Sigh.

So for fun I was browsing used cars- I really can't afford one now, would have to use tax refund in February-ish..

I didn't want to drive Miata all winter. :(
Will

Secret Chimp

On boxer blocks you have to split the block in half to do anything with the bearings, if I remember right. If it were an inline sometimes you can get away with dropping the pan if it's a main that went out.

If you can find a longblock, it'll be easy. Installing an engine isn't that hard to do, especially on an older car. I swapped the engine in my Miata inside of a couple of days, and that was with having to mess with the transmission brace and changing the clutch and other time-wasters.

Eye of the Tiger

It may be difficult to tell anything if you pull the oil pan, unless you find actual debris in the pan.

At least you have the Miata in the mean time, and it won't be all bad in the winter.

AutobahnSHO

I'm halfway tempted to order a motor from Autozone- rebuilt, 3yr warranty, but $3k.
Subie has virtually no rust, everything works well..
Will

S204STi

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 07, 2012, 11:47:37 AM
First thing I checked, it's full/cold.
This is what I fear- it's how my SHO died. (although that was at 100mph..)

Also I noticed the front pulley (for belts) wobbles.

How much to rebuild the crankshaft/rods/whatever?????

Sounds like you broke something m8.  Sorry ,time to buy a new car.  Or find a junkyard motor.

S204STi

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 07, 2012, 02:22:49 PM
On boxer blocks you have to split the block in half to do anything with the bearings, if I remember right. If it were an inline sometimes you can get away with dropping the pan if it's a main that went out.

If you can find a longblock, it'll be easy. Installing an engine isn't that hard to do, especially on an older car. I swapped the engine in my Miata inside of a couple of days, and that was with having to mess with the transmission brace and changing the clutch and other time-wasters.

On a Scoob it's very easy.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 07, 2012, 02:38:23 PM
I'm halfway tempted to order a motor from Autozone- rebuilt, 3yr warranty, but $3k.
Subie has virtually no rust, everything works well..

How much is the rest of the car worth? Seems like dumping $3k into that car isn't worth it...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: thecarnut on October 07, 2012, 03:06:10 PM
How much is the rest of the car worth? Seems like dumping $3k into that car isn't worth it...

Around $2k.  But buying another used car for $3k who knows what you get..

I think I'll look into the engine swap- I do have a garage (although that means getting into a cold car every morning at 0530hrs...)
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 07, 2012, 02:22:49 PM
On boxer blocks you have to split the block in half to do anything with the bearings, if I remember right.

Definitely true with VWs.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

S204STi

AutobahnSHO

HELP-

Most motors would be $1000-2000 for shipping (or get the refurbished Autozone motor).

junkyard 2 miles from my door has a 96 Outback 2.2L Automatic, looks like it was T-boned, the drivers' doors are all mangled but the rest of the car looks good. 211k miles on the odometer.

It's missing the transmission, timing belt covers, and some of the littler stuff, but has alternator, pumps, etc... 
$300.  WITH accessories. (So I'd have spares!)

The mileage concerns me, should I grab it? 
What kind of work besides install would I need to do for refurbishment??
Will

shp4man

Well, I think you may have figured out the misfire codes. My opinion? Get out of it now or have a tiger by the tail. Autozone engine? Holy crap! Sometimes you have to put on 5 or 6 of those cheapass alternators they sell before you get one with normal charging voltage.
Find another low relatively low mileage heap- maybe pay somebody to check it out beforehand.

mzziaz

Quote from: shp4man on October 08, 2012, 02:13:46 PM
Well, I think you may have figured out the misfire codes. My opinion? Get out of it now or have a tiger by the tail. Autozone engine? Holy crap! Sometimes you have to put on 5 or 6 of those cheapass alternators they sell before you get one with normal charging voltage.
Find another low relatively low mileage heap- maybe pay somebody to check it out beforehand.

+1

You dont swap in a motor with 200k+ on it, especially if you have never swapped engines before. Get a new car.
Cuore Sportivo

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on October 08, 2012, 02:13:46 PM

pfft, I always check out my beaters myself thoroughly beforehand. :lol:
They have all lasted me at least 2yrs with minimal repairs, usually we've had to move or whatever or they'd all be 3+ years..

I wouldn't mind a project car, I have plenty of time in the evenings. But I don't want to frustrate myself to death and/or drain the little savings we have on it..

--------------------------------

New set of questions then- what's the most cost-effective way to unload it?
-Don't want to deal with parting it out for months
-wouldn't sell it without telling buyer the issue
-everything else in the car is quite good.
-do salvage yards buy cars?

Will

mzziaz

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 08, 2012, 02:46:21 PM
pfft, I always check out my beaters myself thoroughly beforehand. :lol:
They have all lasted me at least 2yrs with minimal repairs, usually we've had to move or whatever or they'd all be 3+ years..

I wouldn't mind a project car, I have plenty of time in the evenings. But I don't want to frustrate myself to death and/or drain the little savings we have on it..

--------------------------------

New set of questions then- what's the most cost-effective way to unload it?
-Don't want to deal with parting it out for months
-wouldn't sell it without telling buyer the issue
-everything else in the car is quite good.
-do salvage yards buy cars?

List it on CL for a few hundred bucks.
Cuore Sportivo

AutobahnSHO

well- found a "modified import repairs" shop that says he can put a LOW mileage JDM engine in for about $1500-1700. On the phone very familiar with Subarus- says he does mostly head gasket work and turbo builds, that most people keep their Subarus "forever"..

Googling appears that Japanese cars rust out pretty quick and they don't drive them all that much- so when they finally get rid of them they're low mileage. This website sells used 'low mileage' motors from $1-2k
http://enginesus.com/faq.html#comefrom

I'll have it towed this week then have the guy swap if he can't repair what I have.  I really can't find another decent used car for under $2k. This one has all the utility I need and will be a good first car for eldest son, who starts driving in April 2014.

(((((Although I'd LOVE to go newer car shopping I'd end up with something for $5k and a car payment I don't need now..  2005 Outbacks are GORGEOUS.. ))))
Will

cawimmer430

Japanese car with problems? Get out of here!!!  :devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Secret Chimp

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 08, 2012, 06:25:23 PM
Japanese car with problems? Get out of here!!!  :devil:

The fuck up: shut

GoCougs

Sorry to hear but IMO a DIY job will only make it worse; time, stress and money. Dump it for a few hundred $$$ and then buy the best you can (which means IMO selling the Miata too).

AutobahnSHO

The best I can would still be 7-12 years old many cars that age/mileage are sold because it's time for the big maintenance. We're going for the pro to engine swap, and can get another 50+k out of the car, hopefully.
Will

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

This is a fairly common occurrence. People have a sometimes illogical desire to keep a dying car going.  :huh:

S204STi

The least costly vehicle is the one you already own, usually.