My friend is buying a 944

Started by BMWDave, October 27, 2005, 05:37:19 PM

Raghavan

QuotePerhaps the one you went in had something wrong with it.
No, he was just expecting more from a Porsche.

Run Away

Only other explanation I can think of.:shrug:

BMWDave

Hmmm---acceleration for a 86 NA is listed at 8.9-it definitely felt faster than that.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

QuoteHmmm---acceleration for a 86 NA is listed at 8.9-it definitely felt faster than that.
NOt bad actually.

Run Away

QuoteHmmm---acceleration for a 86 NA is listed at 8.9-it definitely felt faster than that.
That's actually about what it felt like, about the same as my car (depending on the mag).

BMWDave

That's actually about what it felt like, about the same as my car (depending on the mag).
Did you get that whooshing feeling in your stomach?

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Dave, how long is your friend plannign to keep the car???

Run Away

???
I don't remember, it just felt like any other car that accelerates at the same pace...

I can't say I quite know what you're talking about though.

BMWDave

???
I don't remember, it just felt like any other car that accelerates at the same pace...

I can't say I quite know what you're talking about though.
When a car accelerates rather quickly, I seem to get a strange feeling in my stomach, sort of like when you drop in an airplane very quickly.  Its hard to explain.

When the car was floored, it was on a slight downward slope, perhaps that contributed something to it.

2007 Honda S2000

Run Away

Can't say I've ever felt that before, other than going over a crest or something.
Then I get a pretty queasy stomach, that's why I avoid rollercoasters (never been on one).

Raghavan

Dave, is your friend planning to mod the 944? Some new rims would be in order. :rockon:

BMWDave

QuoteDave, is your friend planning to mod the 944? Some new rims would be in order. :rockon:
No mods, but perhaps a new set of turbo twist wheels, (if I can convince him).  They look so damn good on 944s. B)  

2007 Honda S2000

JYODER240

QuoteCan't say I've ever felt that before, other than going over a crest or something.
Then I get a pretty queasy stomach, that's why I avoid rollercoasters (never been on one).
excuse my hijack, but you dont like roller coasters :o , you should go to Cedar Point sometime and ride the Millenium Force and the Top Thrill Dragster.  The Dragster goes from 0-120 in 4s, and then climbs 420ft in the air, then spirals you straight back down :rockon:  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raghavan

QuoteDave, is your friend planning to mod the 944? Some new rims would be in order. :rockon:
No mods, but perhaps a new set of turbo twist wheels, (if I can convince him).  They look so damn good on 944s. B)
YOu mean the ones on 996 911 Turbos? That'd be the coolest looking car on the block! :praise:  :rockon:  

Raghavan

QuoteCan't say I've ever felt that before, other than going over a crest or something.
excuse my hijack, but you dont like roller coasters :o , you should go to Cedar Point sometime and ride the Millenium Force and the Top Thrill Dragster.  The Dragster goes from 0-120 in 4s, and then climbs 420ft in the air, then spirals you straight back down :rockon:
NO thanks. I went to great america, rode on all the coasters, and felt like i was going to barf on the way back.

End of thread jack. :lol:  

saxonyron

My bro-in-law has an old 944 - NA, I think an '86, same grey color.  Has over 250K miles.  He loves the thing.  I looked up the stats, and I think it is a 9 sec 0-60, but we're talking mid-range torque (30-50 mph range) and handling balance.  I can still kick his but in a straight line, but eventually, he'd beat me on a  track because of handling.  Nice ride - I hope your friend enjoys it!  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

BMWDave

QuoteMy bro-in-law has an old 944 - NA, I think an '86, same grey color.  Has over 250K miles.  He loves the thing.  I looked up the stats, and I think it is a 9 sec 0-60, but we're talking mid-range torque (30-50 mph range) and handling balance.  I can still kick his but in a straight line, but eventually, he'd beat me on a  track because of handling.  Nice ride - I hope your friend enjoys it!

The NA felt powerful enough, the turbo must be a bomb.  :o  

2007 Honda S2000

RS200

I booted around in an 87 NA version a few months ago. I can tell you that yes, it was definitely slow and it felt like the 16 second car that it was. Back seat is absolutely useless except for 6 year olds. The car you showed was badly beaten on. Mine had 150k  miles and the interior looked very good. I'd say pass on that car and drop the wad of extra cash on the turbo version. By simply upgrading the turbo to a bigger one and chipping it you can make 350hp. I wouldn't buy another NA 944 at any price (we had $2500 into ours), but I'd definitely consider the turbo.

BMWDave

QuoteI booted around in an 87 NA version a few months ago. I can tell you that yes, it was definitely slow and it felt like the 16 second car that it was. Back seat is absolutely useless except for 6 year olds. The car you showed was badly beaten on. Mine had 150k  miles and the interior looked very good. I'd say pass on that car and drop the wad of extra cash on the turbo version. By simply upgrading the turbo to a bigger one and chipping it you can make 350hp. I wouldn't buy another NA 944 at any price (we had $2500 into ours), but I'd definitely consider the turbo.
It wasnt badly beaten on, if you could say that.  The car had been sitting since 2001, so thats why the interior is so dirty and dusty.  But the exterior of the car is in very good condition.  The guy at PSH Motorsports takes 944s and fixes them completely up (sort of like what your family does with cars).  So the car got a new engine, timing belts, water pump all in the last week.  I'll clean up the interior, and show you what a difference it makes.-My flash lit up the whole interior, so all the dust got illuminated.

2007 Honda S2000

SaltyDog

The NA has it's purpose imo.  If you don't need blistering acceleration but enjoy they Porsche feel and handling, the turbo would just be an extra cost and tricky maintanance item.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

BMWDave

QuoteThe NA has it's purpose imo.  If you don't need blistering acceleration but enjoy they Porsche feel and handling, the turbo would just be an extra cost and tricky maintanance item.
Its only really a tricky maintenance item in a older mileage 944, but my friend didnt really want to pay extra for a turbo, as he is by no means a drag racer.  So a NA serves his purpose just fine.  

2007 Honda S2000

SaltyDog

QuoteThe NA has it's purpose imo.  If you don't need blistering acceleration but enjoy they Porsche feel and handling, the turbo would just be an extra cost and tricky maintanance item.
Its only really a tricky maintenance item in a older mileage 944,
Which is what you would get for $2,000...right?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

BMWDave

QuoteThe NA has it's purpose imo.? If you don't need blistering acceleration but enjoy they Porsche feel and handling, the turbo would just be an extra cost and tricky maintanance item.
Its only really a tricky maintenance item in a older mileage 944,
Which is what you would get for $2,000...right?
Turbos tend to need to be replaced with high miles-and they put more strain on the engine, so youre better off with a NA + high miles, than with a turbo +high miles.  

The car was listed at 3K.

2007 Honda S2000

280Z Turbo

QuoteThe NA has it's purpose imo.? If you don't need blistering acceleration but enjoy they Porsche feel and handling, the turbo would just be an extra cost and tricky maintanance item.
Its only really a tricky maintenance item in a older mileage 944, but my friend didnt really want to pay extra for a turbo, as he is by no means a drag racer.  So a NA serves his purpose just fine.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Does anybody who buys an old Porsche care about "tricky maintainence"? :lol:

Besides, I'm going to have my T3 turbo rebuilt for $100-125 this winter at a diesel mechanic. I don't know what kind of turbo the 944 has, but I can't imagine it would cost $1000 to rebuild one. As long as it does go "clang-clang-clang" (been there <_< ) when you rev it up, maintainence shouldn't be that expensive for just one turbo. I really don't know why people think turbos are so damn expensive.

The only thing I would worry about is whether or not the rest of the car can handle the extra power that comes with forced induction. If my Saab was built to handle turbo power, it would probably still be on the road.

I'm not knocking the N/A at all, but I find it hard to believe that a Turbo is that much more expensive to maintain than the N/A. Although, I am by no means a Porschephile.

BMWDave

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Does anybody who buys an old Porsche care about "tricky maintainence"? :lol:

Besides, I'm going to have my T3 turbo rebuilt for $100-125 this winter at a diesel mechanic. I don't know what kind of turbo the 944 has, but I can't imagine it would cost $1000 to rebuild one. As long as it does go "clang-clang-clang" (been there <_< ) when you rev it up, maintainence shouldn't be that expensive for just one turbo. I really don't know why people think turbos are so damn expensive.

The only thing I would worry about is whether or not the rest of the car can handle the extra power that comes with forced induction. If my Saab was built to handle turbo power, it would probably still be on the road.

I'm not knocking the N/A at all, but I find it hard to believe that a Turbo is that much more expensive to maintain than the N/A. Although, I am by no means a Porschephile.
No one said it was much more to maintain-thats not a reason my friend didnt buy a turbo.  He just didnt need all the acceleration, and a NA version suffices for him.

I think that turbos in general put a larger strain on the engine (in terms of high mileage cars).  So even when the turbo breaks, you might have to replace major stuff in the engine if you plan on putting lots of miles on the car.

2007 Honda S2000

280Z Turbo

No one said it was much more to maintain-thats not a reason my friend didnt buy a turbo.  He just didnt need all the acceleration, and a NA version suffices for him.

I think that turbos in general put a larger strain on the engine (in terms of high mileage cars).  So even when the turbo breaks, you might have to replace major stuff in the engine if you plan on putting lots of miles on the car.
That's why I alluded to the Saab. If a high performance model is properly engineered, it will be beefed up to cope with the extra power.

I'm not sure what the case is with the 944, because like I said, I'm no Porschephile.

TBR

With as long as Porsche has been turboing engines I imagine it can handle the stress.