Yes.
7 (38.9%)
No.
11 (61.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

2o6

How do you feel about CVT's?

GoCougs

Nah, they didn't (or haven't) turned into the MPG and performance boon they could be. Need wider ratio range and more efficient mechanicals.

CJ

No.  The new Accord gets close to being as good as a traditional automatic, but I'd still prefer a traditional automativ.

2o6

I'm saying Yes; mostly because I am not fond of these automatics with too many speeds. They never know what gear to be in.

Granted, CVT's have their issues too, but I actually love the smoothness of a CVT. The gear spread issue seems to be an issue, but companies like Nissan seem to be getting around it, (Versa has a 2-speed at the end of the CVT).

Raza

No.  Had one for a couple of days.  Droning on and on and getting no power, no manual control.  Just awful.  The worst kind of automatic. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28222.msg1791170#msg1791170 date=1349810749
No.  Had one for a couple of days.  Droning on and on and getting no power, no manual control.  Just awful.  The worst kind of automatic.  

I never understood the "droning" issue; regular automatics hold the engine note when under a constant load. And the "no power" sensation is due to the fact that there's no shift shock. They're generally the same performance as a traditional automatic.

I hate CVT's that fake shift points. That is a totally stupid idea.

Cookie Monster

No. I prefer manuals.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on October 09, 2012, 01:36:02 PM
No. I prefer manuals.

I mean, in comparison to other types of automatic transmissions. It's a little stupid to throw a tradtional 5-speed in the mix.

Speed_Racer

It depends on the tuning. My parents SX4 has the CVT. It does good things for gas mileage (31 combined) but "shifts" to the fuel saving ratio at 15 mph. So it always feels and sounds like its bogging. Accelerating always requires planning ahead.

Push pedal, computer thinks about what ratio to use, engine speed increases, then finally it rubber bands forward until you it the speed you want. If you literally don't start this process 5 sec before you want to pass someone, you will miss the opportunity. Frustrating.

At the same time, I owned a Polaris ATV with a CVT and it was awesome. Quick response and always in its powerband.

But I don't think I'll ever own a cvt car. I'm not patient enough

SVT666

I owned one for 3 years and it took some getting used to, but I didn't like the sensations.  Acceleration was like a snowmobile and I didn't like it at all.  I did like that the speed absolutely never changed going up and down hills with cruise control on because it just varied the ratio to keep the speed without that annoying kick down automatics do.  But, other than that, there was no benefit.

2o6

Quote from: Speed_Racer on October 09, 2012, 01:47:30 PM
It depends on the tuning. My parents SX4 has the CVT. It does good things for gas mileage (31 combined) but "shifts" to the fuel saving ratio at 15 mph. So it always feels and sounds like its bogging. Accelerating always requires planning ahead.

Push pedal, computer thinks about what ratio to use, engine speed increases, then finally it rubber bands forward until you it the speed you want. If you literally don't start this process 5 sec before you want to pass someone, you will miss the opportunity. Frustrating.

At the same time, I owned a Polaris ATV with a CVT and it was awesome. Quick response and always in its powerband.

But I don't think I'll ever own a cvt car. I'm not patient enough

Yeah, all CVT's aren't created equal (like all DSG's and traditional automatics). The one in the Dodge/Mitsubishi products sucks balls.

The Nissan ones are generally great.

2o6

I think they're great, but obviously they're not all created equal. I've heard they're developing them for large trucks (tractor-trailers) and that sounds like a brilliant idea. Ideally, it'll always be in the meat of the powerband. Providing good performance and economy.

ifcar

They're great for people who won't be flooring the throttle regularly, because then you don't feel the droning sensation. This works well with bigger engines in part because you don't have to work them hard routinely and in part because they often sound better, like the Nissan V6.

Where they're awful is in a car that's wheezy and slow, because the lack of shifting just accentuates that.

68_427

Our snowmobile works fine.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on October 09, 2012, 01:27:58 PM
I never understood the "droning" issue; regular automatics hold the engine note when under a constant load. And the "no power" sensation is due to the fact that there's no shift shock. They're generally the same performance as a traditional automatic.

I hate CVT's that fake shift points. That is a totally stupid idea.

It was also a Sentra, so that definitely added to the no power issue.  There was no power.  You had to floor that thing everywhere just to get around.

But traditional automatics don't drone like that.  Revs increase and the sound changes, then it changes up as you let off and the revs go down and are quiet again. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

My first exposure was on snowmobiles when I was a kid (and before they ever started using them in mainstream autos).  Didn't care for them in that application, and based on my limited experience with them in automobiles, I'd prefer a fixed number of cogs there as well.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Nasty. They totally sap the soul of a car. They make the engine moan low and long, like the undead.

0mph... uHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHhhhhhhhh.. 60mph
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

The inherent slipping nature of them doesn't sit well with me.  A big fat NO.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

I only like the Prius' CVT, because it's elegant, efficient, and so perfectly suited to hybrid applications.

2o6

I would take a CVT over a 10 speed automatic.

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on October 09, 2012, 03:11:49 PM
I would take a CVT over a 10 speed automatic.

Because there are so many cars out there with 10 speed automatics...:facepalm:

I wonder what the hell is going through your mind when you post things like this.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on October 09, 2012, 03:13:35 PM
Because there are so many cars out there with 10 speed automatics...:facepalm:

I wonder what the hell is going through your mind when you post things like this.
:rolleyes:

Last time I checked, Chrysler is developing 9 and 10ATs for FWD applications.

I dont particurally care for the 6AT in the Chevy Cruze; it never knows what gear to select. I cant picture that level of indecisiveness coupled with four more gears to choose from.

Laconian

Aside from cost and complexity, what's wrong with more speeds? You don't have to go through each one in sequence.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Laconian on October 09, 2012, 03:21:47 PM
Aside from cost and complexity, what's wrong with more speeds? You don't have to go through each one in sequence.

Having more speeds = having a greater requirement for good shift programming, something automakers seem to struggle with even with 6-7 speed autos.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Secret Chimp

The ones I've tried in Fords seem to work pretty well. However I'm completely unconvinced about their longevity compared to traditional automatics.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

S204STi

I think they have their uses.  Good for runabouts, possibly good for heavy vehicles and trucks, but not so much for performance cars or luxo-barges.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on October 09, 2012, 03:16:42 PM
  :rolleyes:

Last time I checked, Chrysler is developing 9 and 10ATs for FWD applications.

I dont particurally care for the 6AT in the Chevy Cruze; it never knows what gear to select. I cant picture that level of indecisiveness coupled with four more gears to choose from.

My car has six gears and I always know what gear to put it in. Most 6 speed autos are fine.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

thewizard16

I like the CVT in the Altimas well enough. It makes a car with mediocre power feel quicker to respond and it was really smooth overall. It seems like they would get a bit of a mileage edge out of them though, and I'm not sure that they do. In the Versa however it was just a volume pedal. Press down more, get more noise. Your rate of speed increase remains low.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

sportyaccordy

I am not sure if the Versa I drove had it. PRetty sure it had a 4AT. In any case not crazy about em. Had one in a 2.5 Altima. Whole car including transmission sucked.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 09, 2012, 09:52:50 PM
I am not sure if the Versa I drove had it. PRetty sure it had a 4AT. In any case not crazy about em. Had one in a 2.5 Altima. Whole car including transmission sucked.

Some older models have 4-speeds, some have CVT's. The new ugly sedan is CVT only.