Lincoln Pulls Back the Covers on '07 Aviator

Started by BMWDave, October 27, 2005, 09:18:04 PM

BMWDave

REVEALED: Lincoln Pulls Back the Covers on '07 Aviator
Date Posted 10-27-2005

DEARBORN ? Lincoln has released the first official photo of its all-new 2007 Aviator. The next-generation Aviator, which makes its debut in January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, has a passenger-car base, unlike the current Aviator, which shares its underpinnings with the Ford Explorer.

The new Aviator was first seen earlier this year in concept form at the New York show. It will continue to be positioned below the Navigator in size and price.

A companion to the new Ford Edge, the '07 Aviator borrows heavily from the basic architecture of the Mazda 6 and will share some components with the new 2006 Lincoln Zephyr sedan. Power will come from a new twin-cam 3.5-liter V6 tuned to deliver about 250 horsepower. It will be mated to a six-speed automatic transmission.

Front-wheel drive will be standard, with all-wheel drive available as an option. Both the Edge and the Aviator will be assembled in Oakville, Ontario.

What this means to you: Lincoln's Lexus fighter will rely heavily on Mazda underpinnings.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

Don't care for the design of the back anyway. And, 250hp seems a little weak.

Secret Chimp

QuoteDon't care for the design of the back anyway. And, 250hp seems a little weak.
Probably didn't want to nail fuel economy in the ass by using more-than-adequate power.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

ifcar

250 is fine with a good engine behind it. An RX330 makes only 223, and you don't see complaints about its power, and I'm looking at the RX as the biggest competitor in the 5-passenger upscale SUV market.  

giant_mtb

250 HP is more than enough for daily driving, even in an SUV.  At least in my experience...and that's considering there's two SUV's in my family with less than 250 HP, and they do perfectly fine on the roads.

ifcar

But they're not priced well over $30,000, where standards are higher.  

TBR

My concern is that the Rav4 has more, which means the RX will be getting 260-270hp when it is redesigned. Same with the MDX.

cozmik

The pic there is fugly. It's like an odd cross between a B9, an XC90, and a beetle (like a real beetle, not the car).

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

ifcar

QuoteMy concern is that the Rav4 has more, which means the RX will be getting 260-270hp when it is redesigned. Same with the MDX.
250 should be sufficient if the engine is as good as the hype suggests. The RX330 will undoubtedly soon become the 268-hp RX350, but performance figures still up in the air.

TBR

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. But, I do know this much, the 3.5l had better be a better engine than the 3.0l is or Ford is in a pickle.  

ifcar

It would be hard for it not to improve. Another half-liter of displacement, another 47 horsepower, and a newer design couldn't make it anything but better.  

Catman

JYODER240

I admire the design, its a little ackward, but at least it isn't bland like a RX330 or MDX.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Colonel Cadillac

Looks fine to me, and 250HP seems perfectly adequate. I wouldn't be too surprised if it handled decently too.  

Catman

The shape is far more attractive than the Lexus IMO.

thewizard16

QuoteThe shape is far more attractive than the Lexus IMO.
Really? I thought the opposite, but I rather like the side profile of the RX.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

I like the RX's front end, but the hatchback-on-steroids profile and the giant Altezza taillights ruin the overall look IMO.  

Raza

I get a lot of Tribeca in the shape.  Anyone else?  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Catman

QuoteNot seeing any Tribeca.

The silouette and wheel well arches are very similiar.  As is the lower blacked out sills and lower bumpers.  

ifcar

It doesn't look as though the Aviator will have the same downward slope of the roofline near the back of the car. The rear is also cleaner, has a taller bumper, and a shorter overhang.

Catman

Of course there's differences but there is also alot of general similarities.

ifcar

I don't even see similarities in the basic shape. The windowline is entirely different, the rooflines are different, and the profile seems to be quite different towards the rear. Not to mention slab-sided vs. edgy.  

Catman

QuoteI don't even see similarities in the basic shape. The windowline is entirely different, the rooflines are different, and the profile seems to be quite different towards the rear. Not to mention slab-sided vs. edgy.
That's fine iffy, you're allowed to feel that way. ;)  

giant_mtb

I agree with Catman...I see quite a bit of resemblance between the two.

crv16

QuoteI like the RX's front end, but the hatchback-on-steroids profile and the giant Altezza taillights ruin the overall look IMO.
I agree.

The new Aviator has a much better appearance.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

ichi_ban1

I'll be interested to see how this one does and Ford's further plans to help Lincoln out.

Wake up and Drive an EVO

TBR