Time to buy a new F-150...

Started by saxonyron, October 27, 2005, 09:31:53 PM

saxonyron

Not a romantic purchase - just time for a new F-150 in the company fleet.  This will join an '04 F-150, 2 '04 E-150's, 1 '03 E-150, and 1 '01 E-150.  I bought the '04 for about $29k 2 years ago, but it stickered at $ 31,775.  We're talking about 4.6L V8 engine, 8' bed, 4x4, power windows and locks.  Nothing fancy.  This year, we have an '06 F-150, basically same spec but with 5.4 L V8, but sticker is $35,000!  What the hell is going on with pickup trucks????

I had a dealer trying to sell me an 06 XL with a V6 and crank windows and manual locks for $31,800.  WTF?? $32k for a truck, and you have to do the Fred Flintstone crank up the window?  What's next, manual starter crank sticking out the grille?? I guess it's a sign of the times - all the options and crap we "expect" in a car gets translated to a truck, and the price rises accordingly.  I bought a Ford because that's all I've bought in the last 10+ yrs.  The dealer gets me a decent price, runs the plates, drops the truck off, etc.  I never have to leave my desk.  

I should have pics tomorrow, but it should be a twin of the '04.  These trucks are reliable and don't owe me a thing.  It's not unusual for me to trade a 5 yr old truck with 130k mile and little or no repair issues.  "Cost of Doing Business" keeps ringing in my head!  It still hurts though.....  :blink:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raghavan

OMG Ford dropped the ball big time.

saxonyron

FWIW, we're down to a little over $28k for the beast.  That's almost 20% under MSRP - a victory in my book!  :rockon:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raghavan

QuoteFWIW, we're down to a little over $28k for the beast.  That's almost 20% under MSRP - a victory in my book!  :rockon:
Get a Tundra.

TBR

Why would he want to do that? They aren't much cheaper and the size of their beds would probably really limit him.  

Raghavan

QuoteWhy would he want to do that? They aren't much cheaper and the size of their beds would probably really limit him.
They aren't? For some reason i thought they start in the 20s

saxonyron

THe F150's start in the teens.  That's for 2 wd, short bed, V6 etc.  For a usable truck, you're talking $30k sticker, or more.  A non-"supercab" truck to me is nuts.  Basic for any pickup is extended cab, 4 wd, V8.  Any one of those 3 missing, and the truck is marginalized or downright useless.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Raghavan

QuoteTHe F150's start in the teens.  That's for 2 wd, short bed, V6 etc.  For a usable truck, you're talking $30k sticker, or more.  A non-"supercab" truck to me is nuts.  Basic for any pickup is extended cab, 4 wd, V8.  Any one of those 3 missing, and the truck is marginalized or downright useless.
Why 4wd?

saxonyron

QuoteTHe F150's start in the teens.  That's for 2 wd, short bed, V6 etc.  For a usable truck, you're talking $30k sticker, or more.  A non-"supercab" truck to me is nuts.  Basic for any pickup is extended cab, 4 wd, V8.  Any one of those 3 missing, and the truck is marginalized or downright useless.
Why 4wd?
I'm in the snow belt.  A 2 wd pickup truck in the snow is as useless as boobies on a bull.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

J86

He's a contractor, and he's in New England...

Sax- you get all your vehicles the same color?

Raghavan

QuoteTHe F150's start in the teens.? That's for 2 wd, short bed, V6 etc.? For a usable truck, you're talking $30k sticker, or more.? A non-"supercab" truck to me is nuts.? Basic for any pickup is extended cab, 4 wd, V8.? Any one of those 3 missing, and the truck is marginalized or downright useless.
Why 4wd?
I'm in the snow belt.  A 2 wd pickup truck in the snow is as useless as boobies on a bull.
Oh, ok. I didn't know that.

saxonyron

QuoteHe's a contractor, and he's in New England...

Sax- you get all your vehicles the same color?
Vans are white, pickups are "true blue".  Errrr....the A6 is black.  They look good when parked in formation! B)  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

280Z Turbo

QuoteTHe F150's start in the teens.? That's for 2 wd, short bed, V6 etc.? For a usable truck, you're talking $30k sticker, or more.? A non-"supercab" truck to me is nuts.? Basic for any pickup is extended cab, 4 wd, V8.? Any one of those 3 missing, and the truck is marginalized or downright useless.
Why 4wd?
WRONG!

My dad drove his '98 Dakota 4x2 through a Michigan winter just fine thanks to some common sense and some weight in the bed. And the tires are really bad!

Before that, he drove my '86 Ranger 4x2 through nearly 20 winters. He's never been in the ditch, never smashed it up. I drove it last winter and I did fine as well.

Don't say it can't be done, because it can, with some weight.

And complaining about cranking up your window... :rolleyes: I prefer crank windows because you can open and close them without the key and they're less complex (one less thing to break).

Speed_Racer

2WD is alright.

4WD is better. Why make a sacrifice?

Plus, if your bed is weighted down with ballast for traction, where is anything else going to go. He's getting the 8' bed to fit 8' worth of stuff.

saxonyron

QuoteWRONG!

My dad drove his '98 Dakota 4x2 through a Michigan winter just fine thanks to some common sense and some weight in the bed. And the tires are really bad!

Before that, he drove my '86 Ranger 4x2 through nearly 20 winters. He's never been in the ditch, never smashed it up. I drove it last winter and I did fine as well.

And complaining about cranking up your window... :rolleyes: I prefer crank windows because you can open and close them without the key and they're less complex (one less thing to break).
First of all, I'm buying these for employees, so I need them to be capable as is.  I drove a 2wd pickup for an employer years ago (Chevy S-10) and was amazed how useless and unstable it was on snow and ice.  Sure, ballasting the bed is helpful, but it's a flea peeing into a volcano when you compare it to the capability of 4wd.  My guys need to get to job sites every day, so we drive in crappy weather (unless its extremely nutty).  I don't know of anyone in this area who drives a 2 wd Pickup.  Its like showing up at a Harley bar on a Honda Scooter!  (No offense to your dad - I admire his driving skills.  All I'm saying is I get enough thrills in life without adding some needless ones.)

Regarding electric windows, my point was for $30K, you'd think they could kick in a couple electric windows.  My E-150's are all manual cranks, but cost $22k or so.  Never had an elec window break down on me - almost 20 yrs of owning many electric window cars.  Not a high maintenance item!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

SaltyDog

Power windows in a work truck?  So much for keeping cost down.  Then you have the cloth and carpets that get dirty.  Why not the "XL" work truck for much less money?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

saxonyron

QuotePower windows in a work truck?  So much for keeping cost down.  Then you have the cloth and carpets that get dirty.  Why not the "XL" work truck for much less money?
The dealer with the XL wouldn't go lower than $31,800 (before rebates, etc.)  I scored the XLT for $31,900.  Unfortunately, inventories are apparently low - at least for "True Blue" trucks - I need to keep the colors consistent from a fleet perspective.  All 3 dealers I was working with ended up vying for the same 2 trucks - one in NJ, one in NH.  Not much of a selection - so my decision was an easy one.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

SaltyDog

QuotePower windows in a work truck?? So much for keeping cost down.? Then you have the cloth and carpets that get dirty.? Why not the "XL" work truck for much less money?
The dealer with the XL wouldn't go lower than $31,800 (before rebates, etc.)  I scored the XLT for $31,900.  Unfortunately, inventories are apparently low - at least for "True Blue" trucks - I need to keep the colors consistent from a fleet perspective.  All 3 dealers I was working with ended up vying for the same 2 trucks - one in NJ, one in NH.  Not much of a selection - so my decision was an easy one.
I'm not trying to confront your business choices, but why do they all have to be blue?  Most XLs I see around are white and I'll bet more of those were in stock.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

280Z Turbo

QuoteWRONG!

First of all, I'm buying these for employees, so I need them to be capable as is.  I drove a 2wd pickup for an employer years ago (Chevy S-10) and was amazed how useless and unstable it was on snow and ice.  Sure, ballasting the bed is helpful, but it's a flea peeing into a volcano when you compare it to the capability of 4wd.  My guys need to get to job sites every day, so we drive in crappy weather (unless its extremely nutty).  I don't know of anyone in this area who drives a 2 wd Pickup.  Its like showing up at a Harley bar on a Honda Scooter!  (No offense to your dad - I admire his driving skills.  All I'm saying is I get enough thrills in life without adding some needless ones.)

Regarding electric windows, my point was for $30K, you'd think they could kick in a couple electric windows.  My E-150's are all manual cranks, but cost $22k or so.  Never had an elec window break down on me - almost 20 yrs of owning many electric window cars.  Not a high maintenance item!
Yeah, I was going to add something about comercial use, but I guess I forgot.

My point was that, your average Joe can use a 2WD pickup in the snow. It's really not that hard to drive in the snow with a 2WD.

Even in a Michigan winter, I've never felt limited by 2WD and I don't feel that 4WD is a big advantage. A dumbass will still end up in the ditch regardless of power to the front wheels.

I agree with you on the cost thing. 30-40k is way too expensive for a pickup truck! Unless it's one of those luxury models or a heavy duty with all the frills.

TBR

HD trucks top $50k these days  :o  :blink:  

Catman

I remember when pickups were the best valuse going.  Those days are over.  I agree wholeheartedly with the selection of 4wd.  4wd will pay for itself in productivity at the worksite.  You can't work if you can't get to the site.  As for color selection, I stongly believe in vehicle uniformity.

We have a new supervisor car coming so I'll do a thread on it when it arrives in a couple weeks. ;)

saxonyron

Salty Dog - believe it or not, supply and demand worked in reverse here.  Everyone wants white trucks - that's why there were only 2 blue ones that met my needs.  After seeing all the trouble we were going thru, I told the salesguy, "OK, obviously the blue is an issue. Get me your best price on a white truck."  He quoted me $1,000 more for exactly that reason - more people want the white, so they charge accordingly - high demand = higher price.  You can't win.  

I guess there's a reason every cruiser in town has the same paint, Catman!  There's an identity.  The extra trouble or money it takes to get the right color for the "fleet" pays for itself in corporate identity, employee team building/morale, and it just makes me feel good.  You'd be surprised at how the guys think.  "Oh, Ron got me a white truck, just like the crews' vans.  I thought I was management, but I guess not! :angry: "  Sometimes it's like working with small children, but it's reality.  :rolleyes:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

JWC

I only want to add one thing.

If you get cloth seats, scotch-guard them immediately.  Every customer I have with cloth seats in their F150 complains that even water stains them. I had one customer trade his 05 (with 11,000 miles)  in because he couldn't get the cloth seats clean.  He traded it in for the exact same truck, but with leather.

I don't know who Ford used for their supplier of seat covers, but the cloth material sucks.

SaltyDog

QuoteSalty Dog - believe it or not, supply and demand worked in reverse here.  Everyone wants white trucks - that's why there were only 2 blue ones that met my needs.  After seeing all the trouble we were going thru, I told the salesguy, "OK, obviously the blue is an issue. Get me your best price on a white truck."  He quoted me $1,000 more for exactly that reason - more people want the white, so they charge accordingly - high demand = higher price.  You can't win.
Never would have guessed!  Well here's to many reliable miles on your new truck :rockon:  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

saxonyron

QuoteSalty Dog - believe it or not, supply and demand worked in reverse here.  Everyone wants white trucks - that's why there were only 2 blue ones that met my needs.  After seeing all the trouble we were going thru, I told the salesguy, "OK, obviously the blue is an issue. Get me your best price on a white truck."  He quoted me $1,000 more for exactly that reason - more people want the white, so they charge accordingly - high demand = higher price.  You can't win.
Never would have guessed!  Well here's to many reliable miles on your new truck :rockon:
Thanks!  It'll be delivered on Monday - I'll get some pics and more details then. It's funny negotiating for and buying a truck without ever leaving my desk!  As I said, fleet sales are not too emotional.  The dealer will run the DMV for plates, and drive it right into my parking lot.  All I need is for me to drive by the dealer once and sign the papers.

And JWC, thanks for the heads up on the cloth.  Scotchguard will go on!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

JWC

QuoteSalty Dog - believe it or not, supply and demand worked in reverse here.  Everyone wants white trucks - that's why there were only 2 blue ones that met my needs.  After seeing all the trouble we were going thru, I told the salesguy, "OK, obviously the blue is an issue. Get me your best price on a white truck."  He quoted me $1,000 more for exactly that reason - more people want the white, so they charge accordingly - high demand = higher price.  You can't win.
Thanks!  It'll be delivered on Monday - I'll get some pics and more details then. It's funny negotiating for and buying a truck without ever leaving my desk!  As I said, fleet sales are not too emotional.  The dealer will run the DMV for plates, and drive it right into my parking lot.  All I need is for me to drive by the dealer once and sign the papers.

And JWC, thanks for the heads up on the cloth.  Scotchguard will go on!
Ok two things.

If this is a base model truck, watch the front tire wear very closely. I'm having a horrible problem with front tires eating away in the inside and/or outside edge of the base model truck with Hancock tires. There is a TSB for 2004 models that says to replace the upper control arms for this problem, but 2005 were having the same problem. Ford says only 2004 need the upper control arms be replaced. Hopefully, the 2006 F150 has been corrected, but keep an eye on them just in case. The problem occurs within 9,000 miles..with the edge of the front tires completely gone in that period.

TBR

saxonyron

QuoteIsn't that only one thing? :lol:
The 1st thing was the cloth seats.  :P

JWC, I'll keep an eye out for the front end.  Our '04 has been fine so far - with 50K miles.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

SaltyDog

You might want to order a healthy supply of ball joints, tie rods, and power steering parts, but I'm sure you know all about that :D   But seriously, you can't beat F150s for work trucks imo.  When I did landscaping last summer my boss had the '82 F-250 he bought back when he started the business.  He said he couldn't remember how many times the odometer turned over and it was still on the original 4.9L straight-six.  That thing was fun to drive and ran great.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

Secret Chimp

Seems like an XL and a half-decent blue paint job would have come in cheaper than the XLT, but what do I know.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.