Snow tires lol...

Started by VTEC_Inside, November 01, 2012, 07:33:18 AM

VTEC_Inside

Saw a lady this morning standing outside her Matrix on the side of the road on her phone looking at the car. I noticed the chunky snow tires at about the same time I noticed that she had cleared the curb with all 4 of them.

Granted this is a fairly tight corner on a downhill, but I made it on Goodyear all-seasons that have pretty shitty wet weather grip lately.

What's going to happen when it actually freezes?

I prompt the question because the topic of making snows a requirement has come up from time to time here (law in Quebec), and it always pisses me off. I've never had snows and have driven through some pretty miserable shit and always made it home in one piece.

I guess I'm not really surprised that they wouldn't focus on the root cause, poor drivers, but I needed to rant.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

SVT666

Winter tires are law in BC too and I like the law.   Too many dumbasses try to navigate our high mountain passes on all-seasons and end up causing huge accidents.   Our highway accident rates have dropped dramatically since the law came into effect.  Your tires are the only thing connecting you to the road,  and I have no idea why people think tires don't matter.

GoCougs

Dedicated snow tires are borderline dangerous on wet pavement so no surprise there.

The consequences for poor driving are so lax that laws like this are inevitable.

Some of it is poor driving sure but dedicated snows offer a HUGE advantage in snow and ice. A moderate portion of "good driving" is recognizing the need for proper equipment.

SVT666

I can see not having winter tires in areas like Vancouver or Seattle or Portland, but in areas that actually get snow and/or sub-freezing temperatures all winter and not just every couple years, snow tires should be mandatory.

giant_mtb

A lot of times, it's not about the tires...it's the driver's ability.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: SVT666 on November 01, 2012, 08:06:26 AM
Winter tires are law in BC too and I like the law.   Too many dumbasses try to navigate our high mountain passes on all-seasons and end up causing huge accidents.   Our highway accident rates have dropped dramatically since the law came into effect.  Your tires are the only thing connecting you to the road,  and I have no idea why people think tires don't matter.

I'm not suggesting that tires don't matter, rather that a dumbass is a dumbass no matter what tires are on his/her car. I have a buddy that swears by the things, maybe I would too if we actually had winters here, but its difficult to argue the fact that I've never had any trouble driving on all-seasons, I've just gone slower.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

SVT666

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 01, 2012, 10:50:21 AM
You live in Ontario. You get lots of snow and cold weather.  Winter tires would benefit you a great deal.  I used to think the same way until I actually was forced into buying them because my car had summer tires.  That first winter with proper snow tires was all the convincing I needed.

SVT666

Sure,  but why would you purposefully put yourself at a huge disadvantage by not having winter tires?

Habitual Speeder

Quote from: SVT666 on November 01, 2012, 12:14:14 PM
You live in Ontario. You get lots of snow and cold weather.  Winter tires would benefit you a great deal.  I used to think the same way until I actually was forced into buying them because my car had summer tires.  That first winter with proper snow tires was all the convincing I needed.

I live in Ontario, as well (Ottawa, but grew up in Toronto). 

I never had snow tires until last year. And, the only reason I have them is that a pal had an extra set and I took them off his hands.  With decent all-season tires, you can cope quite well.

When the current set wear out, I doubt I'll replace them.

SVT666

Sorry, I just think that's fucking stupid.  Winter tires provide massive improvements in braking and traction, not just on snow or ice, but also on dry pavement that is below freezing.  One thing you guys get in Ontario is really cold temperatures and winter tires dramatically improve performance.  All-Seasons get worse the colder it gets regardless of ice or snow.

Habitual Speeder

Quote from: SVT666 on November 01, 2012, 01:11:39 PM
Sorry, I just think that's fucking stupid.  Winter tires provide massive improvements in braking and traction, not just on snow or ice, but also on dry pavement that is below freezing.  One thing you guys get in Ontario is really cold temperatures and winter tires dramatically improve performance.  All-Seasons get worse the colder it gets regardless of ice or snow.

Well, thank fuck you're not an MPP in Ontario.  ;)

I'm not suggesting specialized equipment doesn't work better for the circumstance, for which, it was designed, but I'm not prepared to be legislatively told to purchase a product I might have a proper use 11 days a year (keep in mind the roads are salted tae fuck 'round here and nothing short of metal studs works on ice).

280Z Turbo

Quote from: GoCougs on November 01, 2012, 09:33:37 AM
Dedicated snow tires are borderline dangerous on wet pavement so no surprise there.

The consequences for poor driving are so lax that laws like this are inevitable.

Some of it is poor driving sure but dedicated snows offer a HUGE advantage in snow and ice. A moderate portion of "good driving" is recognizing the need for proper equipment.

I have Continental ExtremeWinterContacts and they are fine for dry and wet driving. Sure, I wouldn't run them at Road America on an 80 degree day, but they are a huge advantage in the winter months. The softer compound compensates for below freezing temps.

SVT666

Quote from: Habitual Speeder on November 01, 2012, 01:27:36 PM
Well, thank fuck you're not an MPP in Ontario.  ;)

I'm not suggesting specialized equipment doesn't work better for the circumstance, for which, it was designed, but I'm not prepared to be legislatively told to purchase a product I might have a proper use 11 days a year (keep in mind the roads are salted tae fuck 'round here and nothing short of metal studs works on ice).
11 days a year?  Whatever man.  That's BS and you know it.  Ottawa has no less than 3 months where the average daily high is well below freezing.  The temperature alone affects the performance of your tires, and all-seasons start suffering quite badly once the temperature gets below freezing...salt or not.  Ottawa also receives an average of 92" of snow over 60-70 days every year.  So 11 days, my ass.

It's people with your thought process that make me glad our government legislated winter tires for our highways.  Our winter accident rates have dropped dramatically since the legislation came into effect.

Habitual Speeder

Quote from: SVT666 on November 01, 2012, 01:47:38 PM
11 days a year?  Whatever man.  That's BS and you know it.  Ottawa has no less than 3 months where the average daily high is well below freezing.  The temperature alone affects the performance of your tires, and all-seasons start suffering quite badly once the temperature gets below freezing...salt or not.  Ottawa also receives an average of 92" of snow over 60-70 days every year.  So 11 days, my ass.

It's people with your thought process that make me glad our government legislated winter tires for our highways.  Our winter accident rates have dropped dramatically since the legislation came into effect.

It's funny: I just typed out a lengthy response and I realized I can't be bothered, so, I erased it.

You buy the accessories you let your local government force on you, and I'll fight to ensure this province isn't as daft. Sadly, Ontario might not listen to me...

SVT666

Quote from: Habitual Speeder on November 01, 2012, 02:28:03 PM
It's funny: I just typed out a lengthy response and I realized I can't be bothered, so, I erased it.

You buy the accessories you let your local government force on you, and I'll fight to ensure this province isn't as daft. Sadly, Ontario might not listen to me...

I was buying winter tires a long time before I was ever forced to because it's the smart thing to do.  Ontario has some of the dumbest traffic and highway legislation in the country, so if they mandate winter tires, it will be one of the first smart things they have ever done.

280Z Turbo

I don't think it could ever happen in Michigan. Someone who works at a factory for $8.75 an hour barely gives a shit about life.

They sure as hell don't care about their rusted piece of shit '87 Regal. They don't have money for snow tires. They don't even have money for regular tires.

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 01, 2012, 02:51:02 PM
I don't think it could ever happen in Michigan. Someone who works at a factory for $8.75 an hour barely gives a shit about life.

They sure as hell don't care about their rusted piece of shit '87 Regal. They don't have money for snow tires. They don't even have money for regular tires.
In Quebec, I believe the law is that winter tires are mandatory everywhere, but here in BC the law is that winter tires are mandatory on highways.  Almost all of our highways go through or over mountain ranges in BC so you're an idiot to travel those roads without winter tires anyway.

Galaxy

Winter Tires are generally better at tempretures below 7 deg Celsius. Not all winter tires are optimized for deep snow. Many work well on dry, wet, or roads with only think layers of snow.

Take the Michelin Alpin PA2 for example.

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT666 on November 01, 2012, 12:14:14 PM

What?? I live in Michigan. :confused:

I don't have winter tires because I can't afford them. My parents have winter tires and they're great.

My point is that people try too often to drive beyond the limits of their tires. It's often user error, not the tire. The tire performed as well as it possibly could but the driver was too inexperienced to realize that limit.

I wish I could have winter tires.

SVT666

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 01, 2012, 04:33:11 PM
What?? I live in Michigan. :confused:

I don't have winter tires because I can't afford them. My parents have winter tires and they're great.

My point is that people try too often to drive beyond the limits of their tires. It's often user error, not the tire. The tire performed as well as it possibly could but the driver was too inexperienced to realize that limit.

I wish I could have winter tires.
Sorry dude.  I quoted the wrong post.  :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: SVT666 on November 01, 2012, 01:11:39 PM
Sorry, I just think that's fucking stupid.  Winter tires provide massive improvements in braking and traction, not just on snow or ice, but also on dry pavement that is below freezing.  One thing you guys get in Ontario is really cold temperatures and winter tires dramatically improve performance.  All-Seasons get worse the colder it gets regardless of ice or snow.
That's, pretty much, true.  Especially for an inexperienced or marginal driver.  I make sure that the snows are on my wife's car before the first snowfall.  That's, usually, the most dangerous one.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

S204STi

100% of the time you can outrun your talent level, and grip, if you drive like a coked-out squirrel.

Snows a great, but they don't mean you can continue to text and be a retard when it's slick out.

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on November 01, 2012, 09:33:37 AM

When the ambient temps drop below a certain temp, all-seasons and summer tires are rock-hard.  Winter tires remain pliable. 

280Z Turbo

It's foolish to say that snow tires on all vehicles in the snow would not prevent accidents.

S204STi

No, I'd say it's completely accurate.  you couldn't state that it prevents *all* accidents, but it does prevent some.  I watched 2 out of an eventual total of 7 cars slide off the road on the same 100yd stretch, and I passed through at the speed limit without issues.  Tires were the only discernable difference that I could see between those two cars and my own.

Rupert

Quote from: S204STi on November 01, 2012, 07:14:18 PM
if you drive like a coked-out squirrel.

Do you know about Achewood?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

850CSi

Quote from: SVT666 on November 01, 2012, 09:37:11 AM
I can see not having winter tires in areas like Vancouver or Seattle or Portland, but in areas that actually get snow and/or sub-freezing temperatures all winter and not just every couple years, snow tires should be mandatory.

:rolleyes:

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 01, 2012, 09:31:38 PM
It's foolish to say that no driving in the snow would not prevent accidents.

mzziaz

Driving in actual winter conditions without dedicated winter tires is fucking stupid. I use studded snow tires on all three of my cars.
Cuore Sportivo

S204STi

850CSi

Quote from: mzziaz on November 02, 2012, 10:00:24 AM
Driving in actual winter conditions without dedicated winter tires is fucking stupid.

:rolleyes: