Snow tires lol...

Started by VTEC_Inside, November 01, 2012, 07:33:18 AM

SVT666

850CSi

Quote from: SVT666 on November 02, 2012, 10:15:20 AM
:rolleyes:

5 Chicago winters, RWD, all-season tires. Drove several times in blizzards. Never had a problem. Don't know a single person who runs two sets of tires.

I apologize for disagreeing with the assertion that we're all stupid.

SVT666

Quote from: 850CSi on November 02, 2012, 10:18:51 AM
5 Chicago winters, RWD, all-season tires. Drove several times in blizzards. Never had a problem. Don't know a single person who runs two sets of tires.

Disagreeing doesn't change reality.

850CSi

Quote from: SVT666 on November 02, 2012, 10:23:09 AM
Disagreeing doesn't change reality.

Hope the horse you rode in on has snow hooves

SVT666

Quote from: 850CSi on November 02, 2012, 10:24:23 AM
Hope the horse you rode in on has snow hooves
I'm allergic to horses.

mzziaz

You know what, why don't you rip out the seatbelts on the car too, while you're at it. I'm sure you haven't needed those the last five years either.
Cuore Sportivo

850CSi

Quote from: mzziaz on November 02, 2012, 11:05:57 AM
You know what, why don't you rip out the seatbelts on the car too, while you're at it. I'm sure you haven't needed those the last five years either.

You're actually comparing using all-season tires in the winter to driving without a seatbelt?

Are you serious, or am I getting trolled?

S204STi

FWIW, my dad has never purchased dedicated snows for his last two vehicles, but he does run fairly aggressive A/T tires.  He's never been off the road or wrecked in the snow.

He has also performed some impressive driving feats on snow-covered passes on worn all-seasons on our old Geo Prizm.

Driver skill is of first priority.  Then tires, but the tires are a huge deal IMO, and I prefer to have the best available grip.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

GoCougs

Not buying these "never had a problem" declarations...

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on November 02, 2012, 12:53:37 PM

I've never had a problem in FWD or RWD on all seasons.  Of course, that depends on how you define problem.  I got stuck twice in the Passat trying to ram snowbanks, but that's my fault, not the tires.  I'm not saying that it wasn't more work on all seasons, but it's easily doable--I'd say the VAST majority of drivers run all seasons all year round and don't ever have serious issues.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

I've had a RWD car with rear snows stuck in the deep stuff (off the edge of my 'rents groomed driveway in the mountains).  That was driver error.  Other than that, I drove it successfully in the snow for a season without issue.

MX793

Did the same, except replace "Chicago" with "Syracuse" (much snowier).  Oh, and my RWD car didn't have any driver aids (ABS/TCS/ESP).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

VTEC_Inside

Whats not to buy?

I have as a fact never had a problem without having dedicated snows during my entire driving career. I've gotten stuck all of twice and it was because the snow was so deep the car got high sided on it. My closest incident was solely due to my stupidity.

I've even driven through a blizzard on worn out all-seasons that had little right to be used on a summers day without issue, I just drove ridiculously slow.

It seems the pro-snow crowd here are suggesting that a car will instantly swirl into a 360 the instant its all-season tires touch a surface near freezing.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

850CSi

Quote from: MX793 on November 02, 2012, 03:47:35 PM
Did the same, except replace "Chicago" with "Syracuse" (much snowier).  Oh, and my RWD car didn't have any driver aids (ABS/TCS/ESP).

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on November 02, 2012, 07:27:44 PM
It seems the pro-snow crowd here are suggesting that a car will instantly swirl into a 360 the instant its all-season tires touch a surface near freezing.

Nah bros you guys are per se stupid for driving without winter tires/seat belts.

Soup DeVille

If you look for the problems and avoid them, its not that hard to believe.

Have I ever really gotten in trouble driving with poor tires in the snow? No. But, I've also adjusted my driving accordingly, and sometimes avoided areas altogether that I wouldn't have to if i'd had the proper equipment.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

On the other hand, driving in the snow would be faster, easier, and wholly better with snows, and it's pretty hard to deny that.

[/stirthepotSPIN]
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on November 02, 2012, 10:49:04 PM
On the other hand, driving in the snow would be faster, easier, and wholly better with snows, and it's pretty hard to deny that.

[/stirthepotSPIN]

On the other hand, I once spent a couple of weeks driving a car around with one working brake; and never got into any trouble doing that either!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

850CSi

Quote from: Rupert on November 02, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

[/stirthepotSPIN]

On the other hand, not faster, easier, and wholly better enough to justify the assertion that not having two sets of tires = stupid . . . unless you live in Alaska.

SVT666

MexicoCityM3

Impressed with all the testosterone-laden "I don't need no stinkin' snow tires meself, a REAL driver doesn't need that shit." going on here.

Everything about driving is managing traction on your 4 contact patches. Said traction is incredibly better on snow tires on snow vs all-seasons on snow. Why would anyone not want that added margin in a place with significant snow every year is beyond me.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

mzziaz

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 03, 2012, 10:41:38 AM
Impressed with all the testosterone-laden "I don't need no stinkin' snow tires meself, a REAL driver doesn't need that shit." going on here.

Everything about driving is managing traction on your 4 contact patches. Said traction is incredibly better on snow tires on snow vs all-seasons on snow. Why would anyone not want that added margin in a place with significant snow every year is beyond me.

:lol: Very true.

Cuore Sportivo

Habitual Speeder

Simply for the challenge.  :praise:

Payman

Mandating winter tires is fucking stupid. First of all, you can't predict when it snows. I've seen snow well into May back in my home province. Here in SoOntario, I pushed 3-4" of snow off my driveway 3 whole times last year, and we didn't have much more than 11 days of sub-zero temperatures. Secondly, snow tires and rims cost at least $1000/set. Mandating winter tires forces people to buy bald winter tires off Kijiji... tires that are far more dangerous than the all-seasons that were on their car. All in the name of a stupid provincial law. Lastly, many new all-season tires, like the Hankook Optimo 4S, are even better than many winter tires. Any way you cut it, Craig, BC can keep its communism ICBC, its carbon tax, and its stupid winter tire law. Remember, I lived there 6 years and my wife is from there, so I'm well aware of how such a beautiful place can be so ass-backward.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Rockraven on November 03, 2012, 01:23:19 PM
Mandating winter tires is fucking stupid. First of all, you can't predict when it snows. I've seen snow well into May back in my home province. Here in SoOntario, I pushed 3-4" of snow off my driveway 3 whole times last year, and we didn't have much more than 11 days of sub-zero temperatures. Secondly, snow tires and rims cost at least $1000/set. Mandating winter tires forces people to buy bald winter tires off Kijiji... tires that are far more dangerous than the all-seasons that were on their car. All in the name of a stupid provincial law. Lastly, many new all-season tires, like the Hankook Optimo 4S, are even better than many winter tires. Any way you cut it, Craig, BC can keep its communism ICBC, its carbon tax, and its stupid winter tire law. Remember, I lived there 6 years and my wife is from there, so I'm well aware of how such a beautiful place can be so ass-backward.

I agree (besides the BC part since I've never lived there). Buying shitty used tires (which is what many people can only afford) would be a terrible idea in the snow instead of just using what they already have, provided what they already have is in better condition.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Payman

Quote from: thecarnut on November 03, 2012, 02:09:38 PM
I agree (besides the BC part since I've never lived there). Buying shitty used tires (which is what many people can only afford) would be a terrible idea in the snow instead of just using what they already have, provided what they already have is in better condition.

I wouldn't be surprised if some 80% buy used over new just so they are in compliance with the law.

850CSi

I think you're misunderstanding the argument.

I think snow tires are an excellent investment. I just don't think it makes you an irresponsible stupid person to drive in the snow without them, I don't think they're remotely the same thing as seat belts, and I don't think they should be mandatory.

Payman

Quote from: 850CSi on November 03, 2012, 03:01:37 PM

I think snow tires are an excellent investment. I just don't think it makes you an irresponsible stupid person to drive in the snow without them, I don't think they're remotely the same thing as seat belts, and I don't think they should be mandatory.

Exactly the way I see it.

VTEC_Inside

^This^
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

MexicoCityM3

Got it. However, there is some line beyond which it would be irresponsible. I can't place it very well but think about this. Say for example you lived in Alaska and decided that all-seasons were fine. It would probably be as irresponsible as going on a camping trip without enough equipment for the conditions you would likely face. Can you manage with less? Possibly. Responsible. Probably not.

It is a matter of degree. If all you get are say, 10 days of snow per year I'd think all seasons are responsible. If however you get more than a month, that would probably cross that line in my opinion.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)