Bicycles and traffic laws

Started by JWC, October 29, 2005, 06:42:29 AM

JWC

My understanding of how the regulations read for riding a bicycle on a public road is  the bike is subject to all laws that apply to a motor vehicle. Especially, stop signs, red lights, etc.

Last week while riding to work, I turned a corner and there was a school bus sitting in the street, waiting for come children to come out of their house. The normal flashing lamps were on, but not the signs and signals to stop traffic.

Untill, I got there. Just as I approached, the driver looked at me and reached over and pulled the lever, throwing out the stop sign and all the stop lamps for traffic. The bus was facing me, so I could see the bus driver when she smiled as she did this.  Since there was a park and no house for any children to cross my path, I felt she did this purely out of spite and to see what I would do.

I stopped. It is a 300.00 fine (500.00?) fine to failing to stop for a school bus. If the driver can reads lips, she saw the word bitch several times.

I should have dismounted and walked past the bus, just to spite her, but it didn't occur to me at the time. B)

I talked to DMV enforcement earlier this week and asked how likely it was I would have gotten a ticket. He didn't know. In his words, "I would have road past her." He basically said that a bicycle isn't subject to the same laws as a motor vehicle, but I think he is wrong.

What would you have done?
Is this a "ticketable" offense in your state?

I was going to post this under the "close calls" thread, but it isn't really a close call.

giant_mtb

I've ridden past a few school buses with the red lights flashing and signs out...but I always make sure I know there aren't any kids anywhere first, but I've never gotten dirty looks or anything.

And yes, bicyclists are subject to all the laws of a motor vehicle.  Proof of that would be my driver's ed book, which I no longer have, but we spent a day on bike and pedestrian safety.  :)  

JWC

I stopped, more because I suspected a police car might be in the area. I ride the same route to work everyday. I know just about every policeman in town, but we have a new police chief and I wasn't sure if of his policies yet.  

And it was odd she waited for me to get almost to the front of the bus to toss the sign out. Usually, I time myself to miss the busses and I've ridden past this one several times before she has come to a stop.

I suspected the DMV officer was wrong, but I haven't checked NC laws. When I lived in Caifornia, I've known several friends who were ticketed for running lights, stops signs, and one for speeding.

Catman

Good question.  The answer is yes and no. <_<   Very few municipalities fine for bicycle violations simply because they do not adopt the MA bicycle laws into their bylaws/ordinances.  Technically, a bicycle should follow the same rules of the road, but in reality they're not held to the same standard.  The exception is cities that have a large bicycle population (i.e. college towns like Cambridge MA).  Glad I could help. :P  

JWC

QuoteGood question.  The answer is yes and no. <_<   Very few municipalities fine for bicycle violations simply because they do not adopt the MA bicycle laws into their bylaws/ordinances.  Technically, a bicycle should follow the same rules of the road, but in reality they're not held to the same standard.  The exception is cities that have a large bicycle population (i.e. college towns like Cambridge MA).  Glad I could help. :P
Talked to a town cop today about this. He said I would have to have been going pretty fast for him to bother with a ticket.  Getting off the bike and walking past the bus would have been a good choice.

He also told me that last week, he clocked someone doing almost 55mph in a 45 zone on a bike, just down the road from the dealership. This is flat land around here, no hills. Didn't tell me if he gave him a ticket or not.  :blink:

I don't know about that.

Catman

QuoteGood question.? The answer is yes and no. <_<?  Very few municipalities fine for bicycle violations simply because they do not adopt the MA bicycle laws into their bylaws/ordinances.? Technically, a bicycle should follow the same rules of the road, but in reality they're not held to the same standard.? The exception is cities that have a large bicycle population (i.e. college towns like Cambridge MA).? Glad I could help. :P
Talked to a town cop today about this. He said I would have to have been going pretty fast for him to bother with a ticket.  Getting off the bike and walking past the bus would have been a good choice.

He also told me that last week, he clocked someone doing almost 55mph in a 45 zone on a bike, just down the road from the dealership. This is flat land around here, no hills. Didn't tell me if he gave him a ticket or not.  :blink:

I don't know about that.
That was Rag on his MTB! :o  

footoflead

QuoteGood question.? The answer is yes and no. <_<?? Very few municipalities fine for bicycle violations simply because they do not adopt the MA bicycle laws into their bylaws/ordinances.? Technically, a bicycle should follow the same rules of the road, but in reality they're not held to the same standard.? The exception is cities that have a large bicycle population (i.e. college towns like Cambridge MA).? Glad I could help. :P

I don't know about that.
That was Rag on his MTB! :o
Careful Catman ;)  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

From what I know, bicycles are subject to all of the same laws as a motor vehicle, and more.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.