Today's Shoot: 1972 Citroen DS 23 Pallas - You better believe it!

Started by cawimmer430, November 03, 2012, 01:07:29 PM

cawimmer430

I N C R E D I B L E

That's the only word I can think of to describe this masterpiece, this work of art and this automotive legend. What a car. I am so in love and amazed by it. The shoot ended five hours ago and yet I still feel the excitement and enthusiasm for it. My heart is still pounding with automotive enthusiasm for this incredible machine.

This is the top-of-the-line Citroen DS 23 Pallas. 2.3-l 4-cylinder engine with 126-horsepower powering the front wheels, a 4-speed semi-automatic transmission (no clutch), swiveling headlights and full leather interior. The car oozes QUALITY inside and out. The exterior is unrestored and so is the interior. There are some rust spots inside the engine bay though which he plans to have taken care off next year.

The owner of the car actually has two Citroen DSs!!! This is his pristine condition car and he also has a run down and rusty yellow DS 21 with 400,000 km (!!!) [250,000 miles] - Suck on that, Consumer Reports! The owner has nothing but praise for both his DS's. Although very complex cars, he claims to have never had any major mechanical issues with them. The hydropneumatic suspension of his DS 21 needed an overhaul at 200,000 km and again at 400,000 km but that's about it. Rust and paint quality are the biggest problems on these cars. But if you maintain them right and drive them on a daily basis, they'll last forever according to him.

When the owner starts the motor, the car slowly rises from the ground up courtesy of the hydropneumatic suspension. It takes about 20 seconds for this process to finish. When the car is shut off, the car slowly sinks to the ground again. This process takes about 10 minutes.

One of the downsides to the DS 23 is that the engine is not suitable for high speed travel. He says this is because the engine suffers from poor cooling at high speeds. The best speed to drive with a DS is at a relaxed 130-140 km/h according to him. The car is basically capable of short bursts of high speed but you shouldn't overdo it because that's the best way to destroy the engine. Personally, this doesn't bother me because if I had such a car I'd just cruise around in it nice and slow. Incidentally, the owner does take his DS 23 on vacations across Europe.

The best thing about this car is the comfort. My god! Those seats are so soft you just sink into them. And the hydropneumatic suspension really makes the car glide over the crappiest of roads and you don't feel a thing as a passenger. Amazing. I thought the 2006 Mercedes S500 W221 that I once drove was "comfortable" - uh no!!! The Citroen DS has it beat!!! Take my word for it!!! The car was so comfortable that when I took those detailed interior shots, front and back, I did not want to exit the car. The comfort is simply amazing!!!

Here are some shots. Beautiful car. I am in love.  :wub:

VIDEO of the Citroen DS being driven into its next shooting position:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHIHEAjtW5Q

Wimmer and the Goddess.  :rockon:

I did not want to exit the car. Those seats...Jesus H Christ now THAT IS COMFORT!!!!  :wub:

I highly recommend you guys experience a Citroen DS. They're such amazing cars. I want one!!!  :mrcool:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

Oh man, the car is divine. Its shape is the embodiment of optimism for the space-age future. Everything else is boring by comparison.

It also looks way too small for you, Christian. :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Colin

Magnifique!

I can attest to the comfort, as a rather tatty ID Safari was one of the cars in which I used to be taken to school. That one was less luxurious inside, but it sure was comfortable.

The market has woken up to the splendour of these cars, though, and a good one is now around ?20,000.

Cookie Monster

How do you use the semi-auto? Do you just clunk that big lever around?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Laconian

Quote from: thecarnut on November 03, 2012, 02:00:14 PM
In the videos I've seen, it's pretty civilized - it just takes a light push to the left or to the right.

MexicoCityM3

Nice car. Is the steering wheel wrapped in something? Looks like a shitty aftermarket wrap or maybe I just don't know.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on November 03, 2012, 01:22:56 PM
Oh man, the car is divine. Its shape is the embodiment of optimism for the space-age future. Everything else is boring by comparison.

Indeed. This car is a work of art and a technological marvel and masterpiece. The design isn't for everyone but nobody can deny the role this car played in the history of the automobile. For that and the daring risk Citroen took with it I admire it so much.  :mrcool:

Quote from: Laconian on November 03, 2012, 01:22:56 PMIt also looks way too small for you, Christian. :lol:

As I mentioned on Facebook, "Looks can be deceiving". The seats are so soft you sink into them so there is ample headroom in the front and in the back. There is so much generous leg space in the front and in the rear. In fact the whole interior floor is completely flat thanks to the FWD layout.

If you are ever in Munich we can visit this guy. He offered me his car whenever I need it for photo projects etc. A really great guy and true car enthusiast.  :mrcool:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Colin on November 03, 2012, 01:48:38 PM
Magnifique!

I can attest to the comfort, as a rather tatty ID Safari was one of the cars in which I used to be taken to school. That one was less luxurious inside, but it sure was comfortable.

The market has woken up to the splendour of these cars, though, and a good one is now around ?20,000.

A good example will cost 25,000+ Euros here. That's actually still reasonable! In the future the prices for a good example will skyrocket! The owner said he's never going to give this car away. That's how much it means to him. And he's owned mostly classic Mercedes-Benzes in the past.

A good condition Citroen 2CV changes hands here for 15,000 to 20,000 Euros!!!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: thecarnut on November 03, 2012, 02:00:14 PM

Yep. You just "flick it" gently with your hand. Very relaxed.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AjmLmG16Nw

Quentin Wilson explains how you operate the gear lever. Go to 4:00 in the video.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 03, 2012, 02:26:50 PM
Nice car. Is the steering wheel wrapped in something? Looks like a shitty aftermarket wrap or maybe I just don't know.

It's a cloth covering. The steering wheel of the DS looks rather slippery, so I think the owner had this put on for extra hand grip.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Pommes-T

The car was so futuristic, even in the late eighties people thought a car in the future would look like it.

Old Citroens are awesome.  :ohyeah:
'00 BMW 523i

cawimmer430

First completed image of the '72 Citroen DS 23 Pallas. Such a beautiful car.  :wub:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 03, 2012, 06:43:29 PM
First completed image of the '72 Citroen DS 23 Pallas. Such a beautiful car.  :wub:

Very good work as usual Christian. I like this composition very much.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 03, 2012, 06:47:05 PM
Very good work as usual Christian. I like this composition very much.

Thanks Hector.  :cheers:

Autumn is great time to shoot IMO because of the softer light and the beautiful colors of the leaves on the trees. A lot of shots in this series will have backlighting from the sun in them - makes for some dramatic stuff!  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Colin

That is indeed a particularly excellent photo, even by your high standards, Herr W.

I look forward to seeing some more!

Laconian

Why does it need a spare tire? If you puncture a tire, just remove the wheel and drive on like nothing happened. :mrcool:

cawimmer430

Quote from: Colin on November 04, 2012, 01:42:09 AM
That is indeed a particularly excellent photo, even by your high standards, Herr W.

I look forward to seeing some more!

Thanks.  :cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on November 04, 2012, 01:48:02 AM
Why does it need a spare tire? If you puncture a tire, just remove the wheel and drive on like nothing happened. :mrcool:

In case it has another flat tire, you do need a backup! :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

sportyaccordy

Great shots, great car. Photos look way better after processing too

Laconian

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 08, 2012, 08:22:14 AM
Great shots, great car. Photos look way better after processing too

Thanks! If you ever get a chance you need to experience the DS. What a car! It might be a 1972 car, but it still impresses to this day. Wow!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Some images I've completed so far. The rest are still in various stages of post-production.

www.wimmerfotografie.de