Fiat, It's Mine!

Started by Rupert, November 10, 2012, 10:44:36 PM

Rupert

I just got back from WA with my newest old-ass car, this 1972 Fiat 124 Sport Spider:

It's got new suspension and exhaust, a mostly very good interior, those pretty wheels with real tires, the motor from the later 2000 models (as opposed to the stock 1600) with a new Weber carb (not sure which one yet), new fuel system, and so many spare parts I can open my own mail-order business. Parts highlights include the original 1600 engine (apparently runs good), a transmission, the original hood (bigger engine = hood with the lumps), a wood steering wheel, and a dual carb set-up (Webers, but the PITA to use).

It just needs some alternator figuring (he said he installed a new one and it "flash" when he turned the car on or something-- I think he might have just wired it wrong :huh: ), a little coolant gasket thing, some temp sensors of some kind (?), and the crappy wiring he did redone (not much of that, fortunately).

:rockon:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

How does one mis-wire a one-wire alternator? Well, it certainly wouldn't be the strangest thing I've ever seen.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on November 10, 2012, 10:48:04 PM
:rockon:

Fix it again!

I've been meaning to get some coveralls. I'll make sure the name tag says Tony.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 10, 2012, 10:51:07 PM
How does one mis-wire a one-wire alternator? Well, it certainly wouldn't be the strangest thing I've ever seen.

Two wires, I think? I haven't really looked closely. If not that, then WTF, since it's a new alternator? All I know is he installed it and then there was a flash; I don't even know if he turned the car on first.

MexicoCityM3

Congrats man, very nice. I hope it gets running soon.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Colin

That's really nice............ though of course you would expect me to say that of any old Italian car.

The chrome bumpered models look better than the later cars, and were reputed to be far sweeter to drive.

dazzleman

Have fun with it!  I love those old Fiats.

What year is it?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

cawimmer430

Congrats! Fiat 124s are awesome in all their iterations!  :rockon:

Welcome to the RWD club! You're now part of the Carspin Elite Society!  :praise:

Quote from: dazzleman on November 11, 2012, 05:09:24 AM
What year is it?

Put 'em glasses on, grandpa!  :devil:  :lol: j/k

Quote from: Rupert on November 10, 2012, 10:44:36 PM
I just got back from WA with my newest old-ass car, this 1972 Fiat 124 Sport Spider:

:cheers:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Rupert

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 11, 2012, 06:27:26 AM
Congrats! Fiat 124s are awesome in all their iterations!  :rockon:

Welcome to the RWD club! You're now part of the Carspin Elite Society!  :praise:

Put 'em glasses on, grandpa!  :devil:  :lol: j/k

:cheers:

Put on your own glasses, Wims! I already own two other RWD vehicles, and have only owned one car that was FWD.  :mrcool:

Rupert

Quote from: Colin on November 11, 2012, 01:50:46 AM
That's really nice............ though of course you would expect me to say that of any old Italian car.

The chrome bumpered models look better than the later cars, and were reputed to be far sweeter to drive.

I like the looks much better than the big bumpers. Fortunately with this car (unlike, say, an MGB), the big bumpers are pretty easy to remove, and it looks really good without them.

Rupert

Onslaught

Better keep that trailer! Just joshing. Hope you have fun with her.

TBR

It's times like this I wish I had at least a little mechanical ability.

Regardless, looks like fun and good luck. A gorgeous car, and that's a great color for it.

mzziaz

An old Porsche AND an old Fiat?

You will stay poor forever - and single.

:evildude:
Cuore Sportivo

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Quote from: mzziaz on November 11, 2012, 11:59:20 AM
An old Porsche AND an old Fiat?

You will stay poor forever - and single.

:evildude:

Poor, maybe, but girls love old cars!

<_<

>_>

Rupert

Quote from: TBR on November 11, 2012, 11:21:48 AM
It's times like this I wish I had at least a little mechanical ability.

Regardless, looks like fun and good luck. A gorgeous car, and that's a great color for it.

Me too. :lol:

mzziaz

Quote from: Rupert on November 11, 2012, 12:50:33 PM
Poor, maybe, but girls love old cars!

<_<

>_>

Sigh. If only this was true..
Cuore Sportivo

Rupert

I had a girlfriend that liked the MG because she was British. I've known a couple other women that liked some of my cool cars, too.

But having the car has never ever resulted in even a casual conversation in the parking lot with a woman, let alone anything interesting.

Sure is a great way to meet middle aged dudes, though. :P

Rich

Quote from: Rupert on November 11, 2012, 02:10:30 PM
I had a girlfriend that liked the MG because she was British. I've known a couple other women that liked some of my cool cars, too.

But having the car has never ever resulted in even a casual conversation in the parking lot with a woman, let alone anything interesting.

Sure is a great way to meet middle aged dudes, though. :P

:lol:  Congrats on la macchina/l'automobile

Mustang inspired quite a few looks and a couple of conversations with decent looking women

Miata sparks a shit ton of conversation with middle aged men :lol:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rupert

Yeah, I think most girls like flashy cars more than handling cars. I could have had a "conversation" with a car of college girls in Chapel Hill when I was there in that rental Mustang, but my dad was in the car.

CALL_911

Funny, girls aren't impressed by the GTI.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sportyaccordy

Dude you are living the dream

Good stuff

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 11, 2012, 04:30:56 PM
Funny, girls aren't impressed by the GTI.

It's a small volkswagon.   Add RIMZ and lights and flashy crap and you might get some attention.

(girls can't read trims, btw... )
Will

Speed_Racer

Just in time for top down winter cruises :lol:

Looks awesome, congrats!

hotrodalex

Every girl that has ridden in the BMW has commented on it - how it's a nice car in general and also how hard the bass kicks. :lol: