Fiat, It's Mine!

Started by Rupert, November 10, 2012, 10:44:36 PM

hotrodalex

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 13, 2012, 04:51:13 PM
BTW even heavy petting and french kissing are discouraged before marriage. They are "gateway sex" actions.....

Yeah I know it's discouraged, just don't know what happens if you do it.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: ChrisV on November 13, 2012, 01:28:06 PM
Congrats on the car! Love the 124 Spiders, and the early ones especially. The 2 liter is the better engine, especially after the emissions are removed and it's allowed to breathe, though the fuel injection is MUCH nicer to live with than the carbs (it's bosch after all and easy to work on/reliable).

Look for the book by Guy Croft on these Fiat and Lancia engines.

Wiring is actually quite simple, just make sure the connections are kept clean and use a good dielectic grease in the connectors to keep them from corroding (poor russian alloys are a bad mix in these cars, but keeping the connectors clean means they can be daily driveable reliable)

Again, here's mine:

http://home.comcast.net/~cvetters3/fiat_spider.htm

Thanks Chris!

I would love to move to fuel injection, but having a Weber is pretty cool, too. There aren't any wiring problems that I've found other than the stuff the DPO did. He had a couple of hacked together wires (oh, here's 3 inches, here's 8 inches, here's 4 inches-- stick 'em together for 15 inches!), used only a twist with electrical tape (except the one without even that), and ran them right across the top of the engine.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 13, 2012, 06:55:10 PM
Yeah I know it's discouraged, just don't know what happens if you do it.

It's not like the FBI investigates you.  
When you go in to chat with the bishop before going to the temple or be a missionary (or advancement in priesthood), he asks if you're living "morally clean". You do a self-examination and answer. Fornication or adultery would make you ineligible for all, would take a while to work back to being ready..     Lesser offenses would be discussed and worked appropriate repentance.   (repentance involves praying, fixing the issue if possible, making recompense to those you've wronged, discussing it with the bishop again later, etc...)
Will

hotrodalex

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 14, 2012, 05:53:41 AM
It's not like the FBI investigates you.   

Unless you also happen to be a 4 star General. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 14, 2012, 06:16:36 PM
Unless you also happen to be a 4 star General. :lol:

There's a Yahoo news article about a book that derides the "tenure" Generals get in our military...
Will

Byteme

Quote from: Rupert on November 10, 2012, 10:44:36 PM
I just got back from WA with my newest old-ass car, this 1972 Fiat 124 Sport Spider:

It's got new suspension and exhaust, a mostly very good interior, those pretty wheels with real tires, the motor from the later 2000 models (as opposed to the stock 1600) with a new Weber carb (not sure which one yet), new fuel system, and so many spare parts I can open my own mail-order business. Parts highlights include the original 1600 engine (apparently runs good), a transmission, the original hood (bigger engine = hood with the lumps), a wood steering wheel, and a dual carb set-up (Webers, but the PITA to use).

It just needs some alternator figuring (he said he installed a new one and it "flash" when he turned the car on or something-- I think he might have just wired it wrong :huh: ), a little coolant gasket thing, some temp sensors of some kind (?), and the crappy wiring he did redone (not much of that, fortunately).

:rockon:

You are going to have fun with that car.  A 72 still had the reasonable bumpers and minimal smog devices.  It is also easy to work on and fairly cheap to keep running.  I had a 68 and a 78 and loved them both.  Once you get it sorted it will be reliable.

Byteme

Quote from: ChrisV on November 13, 2012, 01:28:06 PM

Wiring is actually quite simple, just make sure the connections are kept clean and use a good dielectic grease in the connectors to keep them from corroding (poor russian alloys are a bad mix in these cars, but keeping the connectors clean means they can be daily driveable reliable)

Good advice.  Many electrical problems can be traced to bad, corroded grounds.  Make sure yours are tight and clean. 

Rupert

Quote from: MiataJohn on November 15, 2012, 05:31:50 PM
You are going to have fun with that car.  A 72 still had the reasonable bumpers and minimal smog devices.  It is also easy to work on and fairly cheap to keep running.  I had a 68 and a 78 and loved them both.  Once you get it sorted it will be reliable.

:praise:

Rupert

Fuckfuckfuck.

See Garage thread.

CJ

FoMoJo

Nice little car. 1 or 2 Webers?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Rupert

Thanks! One Weber, but I have a manifold and a pair of IDFs if I lose my mind a bit. :lol: