Non-Power antenna....

Started by AutobahnSHO, December 01, 2012, 07:47:45 PM

AutobahnSHO

So I ponied up the $22 at autozone for a mast.

Issue is it goes in and I lock it all down but when it comes back up it's pushing the antenna all the way out.     :facepalm:
I dissassembled the entire thing and shoved extra plastic teeth into the assembly then had it pull the antenna in but it's still pushing it all the way out.

I'm obviously doing something wrong. The package was pre-opened (returned?) but seems nothing was missing or damaged...
Will

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 01, 2012, 07:47:45 PM

Issue is it goes in and I lock it all down but when it comes back up it's pushing the antenna all the way out.     :facepalm:
I dissassembled the entire thing and shoved extra plastic teeth into the assembly then had it pull the antenna in but it's still pushing it all the way out.

I'm obviously doing something wrong. The package was pre-opened (returned?) but seems nothing was missing or damaged...

I recommend a wire coat hanger.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Haha. Not.   Seriously this thing has me perturbed.
And I have a big hole I need to patch or plug. :(

If I just go with a regular antenna, I can cut a pound or two....
Will

Rupert

And a regular antenna won't break.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

VTEC_Inside

Stubby ftw.

Just make sure there isn't any exposed metal around the hole. Buggers can rust quick.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Rupert

I know one of the Miata websites sells/sold a good stubby antenna, but it seems like AutO'Really's would have the same thing.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on December 02, 2012, 02:56:08 PM
Stubby ftw.

Just make sure there isn't any exposed metal around the hole. Buggers can rust quick.

I have red maaco paint over the original white- all seems to be well for now. The power antenna has a drain tube believe it or not- going into the bottom of the trunk next to the battery...
Will

Byteme

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 01, 2012, 07:47:45 PM

Issue is it goes in and I lock it all down but when it comes back up it's pushing the antenna all the way out.     :facepalm:

Is this on a Miata?  I had to replace the mast on my power antenna.  I followed instructions I found on Miata.net and it worked perfectly.  I can't give you a link but go to miata.net and search for power antenna mast replacement and you will be led to detailed instructions.

AutobahnSHO

I had followed the instructions, too. Seems the cheapo autozone universal mast didn't work out.

I finally wussed out and got a universal foot-long black plastic one. $9 for regular but I splurged and went $19 for the amplified one + a $3 fuse holder, I now get stations that my van barely picked up. Did some soldering and plugged it all in and twist-tied the 3ft of excess cable behind the battery.

I was worried as a testdrive it was bending in the wind at 50mph (but not 45mph. ?) but at 75mph it was bent the same as at 50mph..

-------------------------------------------------------------

So what should a power antenna motor + assembly (minus mast) go for on ebay?
Mine has ALL the pieces, more complete than this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAZDA-MIATA-ANTENNA-POWER-MOTOR-90-91-92-93-94-95-96-97-MX5-OEM-/120859936609?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c23d04761&vxp=mtr
Will