2004 Ford Escape shuddering?

Started by MrH, December 04, 2012, 06:52:25 AM

MrH

I was carpooling with my roommate today.  He has a 2004 Ford Escape.  V6 AWD with about 140k-150k miles.

It started when we were at a stand still.  Engine started shuddering.  Not a consistent shake, just basically like "kicks".  At first I actually thought it was the bass from the Mustang next to us I was feeling, but something in the drive train was just getting occasional kicks. Happened in short spurts of maybe 5-10 "kicks" too while on the highway every couple minutes.  No codes were thrown.  Any one have any idea what this could be?

Felt like there was a baby in the oven.  Is the Escape pregnant? How is babby formed?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Dirty MAF causing it to idle weird?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on December 04, 2012, 08:14:14 AM
Dirty MAF causing it to idle weird?

It's always the MAF with you. I think your MAF is dirty.

Hard to say. Misfires always throw codes after drive cycles are complete.

Could be any sensor, ignition, or fuel problem. I think it's time for a c-section.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CJ

Could be something with the AWD?  Rear differential binding?

Eye of the Tiger

I was thinking that it could be that the clutch is out of adjustment, and therefore no longer fully disengaging.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

150K, probably never had a spark plug change because you have to take off the intake manifold. It's an 80% chance it's a bad coil. It will likely need plugs, too.
You need to look at the PCM mode 6 data to see where it's misfiring and replace those coils.

That'll be $102 dollars for the diagnosis.  :lol:

FoMoJo

I agree with a bad coil.  One of mine went at about that distance.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

sparkplug

Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

S204STi

I'd start with checking spark and fuel, and see how those are doing.

J86

Quote from: shp4man on December 04, 2012, 01:51:28 PM
150K, probably never had a spark plug change because you have to take off the intake manifold. It's an 80% chance it's a bad coil. It will likely need plugs, too.
You need to look at the PCM mode 6 data to see where it's misfiring and replace those coils.

That'll be $102 dollars for the diagnosis.  :lol:

I've got a 2003 Mazda6 V6 that has that some GODDAMN STUPID FEATURE of needing to remove the intake manifold to access something so basic as a freaking sparkplug.  I had the same shuddering issue a couple of months ago, which ended up being bad coils.  Thanks Ford, for turning what should have been a simple job into an access nightmare.

sportyaccordy

Sounds like motor mount. Would "kick" on any kind of sudden change in load. On highway I imagine trans is fully locked, so any kick ups or downs will prompt clunk. Slush would mask on take off. Best bet, go to engine when its cold and just try to rock the motherfucker. It shouldn't move much, if at all. If it feels loose in anyway... prob a mount.

I dont buy the MAF or spark plugs cause the engine would run rough and have other symptoms. You can have a healthy motor on bad mounts.

That thing sounds like a fuel economy nightmare.

AutobahnSHO

bad motor mounts can also sometimes be seen while looking at the engine and having someone rev it.
Will

shp4man

Quote from: J86 on December 09, 2012, 08:18:31 AM
I've got a 2003 Mazda6 V6 that has that some GODDAMN STUPID FEATURE of needing to remove the intake manifold to access something so basic as a freaking sparkplug.  I had the same shuddering issue a couple of months ago, which ended up being bad coils.  Thanks Ford, for turning what should have been a simple job into an access nightmare.

Some Toyotas and BMW's have the same setup. Engineers don't give a shit about ease of service.  ;) :lol:

MrH

Bad coils.

+1 to Fomojo and shp4man on this one.  You guys are good.  Thing still drives like absolute crap I think :lol: but hey, at least it goes.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Quote from: shp4man on December 19, 2012, 04:22:22 PM
Some Toyotas and BMW's have the same setup. Engineers don't give a shit about ease of service.  ;) :lol:

Yeah, ease of manufacturing is infinitely more important to OEMs.  No reason to add cost to the manufacturing process in order to save cost on potential repairs waaaaay down the road.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

J86

Quote from: MrH on December 21, 2012, 09:32:27 AM
Bad coils.

+1 to Fomojo and shp4man on this one.  You guys are good.  Thing still drives like absolute crap I think :lol: but hey, at least it goes.

I confirmed w my anecdotal experience :lol: