Top Gear Z06 review

Started by ifcar, October 31, 2005, 04:09:41 PM

ifcar

http://www.topgear.com/drives/CB/A1/roadtests/03/01.html

Chevrolet Corvette Z06

It took Chevrolet five years camping in the world's most famous race tracks (and a whole lot of investment) to come up with their fastest road car ever, the new Corvette Z06.

Named after a rare racing version of the 1963 Stingray, this ?ber 'Vette will be on sale across Europe by the end of the year. It boasts some impressive stats, courtesy of the largest displacement small-block V8 ever produced by Chevrolet: try 3.7 seconds 0-60mph and a top speed of 198mph.

On this first and rather exclusive encounter with the Z06 - both on a track in Virginia and on the public roads around it - it soon becomes apparent that this is a more visceral Corvette than previous cars.

The larger grille opening makes this a front breather, whereas the regular C6 'Vette takes its intake air from below. Then there are the wider, carbon-fibre front wings, wider quarter panels to house the larger rear wheels, the quartet of trumpet-like machined exhaust outlets and the duck-tail spoiler to further reduce lift.

Other than that, it is pretty much the conventional low, long-nosed Corvette shape.

Once inside, the good news is that the steering wheel has shrunk 2cm in diameter, but the bad news is the lack of improvement in materials and finish. Considering that in this rarefied market segment, we Europeans will hardly settle for anything poorer than a few soft touch plastics and an excess of hand-stitched leather.

Still, a headup display, keyless entry and pushbutton ignition are standard, while a DVD satnav system (the first satnav offered in a Corvette), and seven-speaker Bose hi-fi are options.

There's fairly good in-car stowage in the doors and centre console, plus a whopping (for a supercar) 640-litre boot. In fact, by combining this functionality with the relatively discreet sound effects produced by the engine below 3,000rpm, Chevrolet has created a supercar that can almost be used as a daily commuter.
Moreover, because economy verges on respectability (again for a supercar, at least), it's the first such extreme fun car to escape the American 'gas guzzler' tax, which adds $6,400 to the cost of owning a Lamborghini Gallardo, for instance.

The relatively light clutch pedal makes this a disarmingly simple car to drive too, and the steering is quick and communicative, but never frenetic. On the other hand, the weighty but precise shift action of the Tremec six-speed gearbox needs some getting used to, but to be fair, it is engineered to deal with the massive loads of torque on offer.

This is coupled to that Chevy small-block, now expanded to 7011cc and generating 512bhp and 470lb ft of torque - or 108bhp and 67lb ft more than the already very swift standard 'Vette has to offer.

The engine is nicely upgraded thanks to a co-development with the Corvette C6R Le Mans racer. That explains the titanium connecting rods and intake valves, and other lightweight components that help it now rev up to 7,000rpm.

The acceleration borders on cataclysmic: the Z06 blasts to 100mph in just over seven seconds and approaches the double-ton barrier like no product of the GM empire has ever done before. Keep your foot held down and the engine shows no sign of relenting.

The chassis provides an overall balanced feel, progressively releasing grip at either end, depending on how you play with the pedals. The car flows well over uneven asphalt and stays settled over corner bumps.

The conventional cross-drilled, ventilated brakes feature vast six-piston front and four-piston rear calipers and are convincing too, with no sign of fade. Ceramic brakes were considered too costly to fit as standard; as is the case with a Porsche 911, but these may be made available in the future (albeit for around ?2,000 extra).
Defying commonly held perceptions of such large and fast, all-American sports cars, the Z06 combines a degree of precision and refinement to the way it handles. What helps significantly is the fact that at 1,421kg, this is a relatively light car - especially impressive given the size of its engine.

The use of aluminium and carbon-fibre structural components in place of the steel of the regular 'Vette, plus a magnesium engine and suspension cradle, all assist weight reduction efforts and give an improved distribution of weight, too. The battery was even shifted back to the boot for this cause.

On the race track, it covers distance quickly, while retaining a reasonable margin of safety. The stability control system can be shut off or you can select a 'competition' mode that allows more slip before intervening than the fully active mode.

I start the first couple of laps round the 3-and-a-bit mile circuit with all the electronic aids on and then - as the knowledge of both the track and the car rise - turn it off, and then disengage the competition mode. Even the trickiest sections are handled with no major scares. And after a few hot laps the Z06 continues to feel stable and keyed in, all the way through.

Did I say 'hot laps'? Well, that's how it feels just after crossing the finish line a dozen times, already imagining headlines announcing a lap record pulverized by a non-professional driver and obviously a wasted talent.

But things are put into perspective after I sit next to Johnny O'Connell (Le Mans GT1 class winner with Chevrolet this year and involved in the production development of the Z06) and realise I had been barely doing warm-ish laps before he took to the wheel.

This ultimate incarnation of the Corvette provides its driver with the best of several scenarios. It's planted enough to massage the egos of most potential owners and their abilities, yet is comfortable enough to consider driving regularly in town.

And there's one further good reason for those with the means to seriously ponder buying one: the ?60,000 price tag. Driven back to back with a Lamborghini Gallardo or a Ferrari F430, the Z06 would be every bit as rapid; yet you could buy yourself two of these for the price of either.

jadewolf123

Finally, some Europeans recognize the Z06 as the performance bargain it is.
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

footoflead

*not to side track the topic...but...what has happened to top gear...they give us 10 episodes and then it dissappears...WTF...[/off topic]
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

MaxPower

Quote*not to side track the topic...but...what has happened to top gear...they give us 10 episodes and then it dissappears...WTF...[/off topic]
here are two threads from C/D about the demise of Top Gear on Discovery.
top gear
top gear again
Basically it looksl like they ran out of American-ized episodes.

And about the Z06, I wonder when they'll stop picking on the interior.  Sure it's not up to the standard set by Italian supercars, but it is a performance machine, not a luxury car.

On the same vein, when will GM give the Corvette a high quality luxury interior?  Ever?

footoflead

Quote*not to side track the topic...but...what has happened to top gear...they give us 10 episodes and then it dissappears...WTF...[/off topic]
here are two threads from C/D about the demise of Top Gear on Discovery.
top gear
top gear again
Basically it looksl like they ran out of American-ized episodes.

And about the Z06, I wonder when they'll stop picking on the interior.  Sure it's not up to the standard set by Italian supercars, but it is a performance machine, not a luxury car.

On the same vein, when will GM give the Corvette a high quality luxury interior?  Ever?
I never look at C/D anymore unless i'm 1. Bored out of my mind or 2. The site is down ;)  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

Hmm...the Z06 is such a great value because the interior isn't as well put together with the best materials.  If they were to spend more money on the interior, it would translate to a higher sticker price.  You don't get a car that laps Gingerbread Man 1 second behind a Ford GT for 60K without skimping somewhere.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

I dont understand why people grip about the interior of vettes, nobody actually buys one for the interior.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

VetteZ06

QuoteHmm...the Z06 is such a great value because the interior isn't as well put together with the best materials.  If they were to spend more money on the interior, it would translate to a higher sticker price.  You don't get a car that laps Gingerbread Man 1 second behind a Ford GT for 60K without skimping somewhere.
I'll agree that the materials aren't the type you'd find in a luxury car, but since when is build quality bad? The C6 I got a chance to sit in was actually very well put-together, and I would easily be able to live with it on a day-to-day basis.

As for impressive Z06 lap times, it also turned in a stellar performance at the Nurburgring (and "stellar" might even be an understatement).  :praise:  

TBR

I believe C/D got faster times with the Viper...But, only because the Z06's suspension is quite soft compared to the Viper's (apparantly it was very unsettled on bumps and the track they tested them at had many of them).

MX793

Holy crap!  An article about the Vette from Top Gear and they didn't mention the leaf springs  :o  
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

QuoteHmm...the Z06 is such a great value because the interior isn't as well put together with the best materials.  If they were to spend more money on the interior, it would translate to a higher sticker price.  You don't get a car that laps Gingerbread Man 1 second behind a Ford GT for 60K without skimping somewhere.
I'm doubt that a nicer interior would translate to a high additional cost per vehicle.

Raza

QuoteHmm...the Z06 is such a great value because the interior isn't as well put together with the best materials.  If they were to spend more money on the interior, it would translate to a higher sticker price.  You don't get a car that laps Gingerbread Man 1 second behind a Ford GT for 60K without skimping somewhere.
I'm doubt that a nicer interior would translate to a high additional cost per vehicle.
Really?  So spending more money on a car won't translate into a higher consumer cost?  Companies don't was to offset expenditures to maximize profit?  

Yes, build quality and materials cost money to the consumer.  Why do you think there are cars that focus in on it and there are cars that don't, and rather spend more money on the engineering.  I'd personally rather have them spend more money on the suspension than soft touch plastics.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteI believe C/D got faster times with the Viper...But, only because the Z06's suspension is quite soft compared to the Viper's (apparantly it was very unsettled on bumps and the track they tested them at had many of them).
From what I remember from Automobile, they said the suspension was so rock solid that it made it not nearly as practical for everyday use as the last model.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

C/D went the completely different route, they said that Z06 engineers focused too much on everyday driveability. And, Raza, better materials do add cost, but not enough to matter, especially to someone who can afford a $65k sports car.

Raza

QuoteC/D went the completely different route, they said that Z06 engineers focused too much on everyday driveability. And, Raza, better materials do add cost, but not enough to matter, especially to someone who can afford a $65k sports car.
Yes, it does.  To make a car like the Z06 with a Lexus interior, you'd probably push the price up the high 70 range, and at that point, people will begin to look for cars that are more exclusive.  

Car companies spend billions of dollars developing cars.  Every little bit costs more.  Why do you think companies move to hard plastics for buttons to save money?  They save a lot of money by doing that.  No, imagine filling your interior with twice as much leather, adding brushed aluminum, wood, and/or carbon fiber, tougher inspection process to make sure the panel gaps are tighter and everything is built to spec, on top of the cost of designing the interior with the proper ergonomics.  Car reviewers rant and rave about ergonomics, whether they are bad or good, why would they if it didn't matter?  This shit all costs a lot of money.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

I hope you don't seriously think the LS430's interior costs Toyota $10k, because it doesn't. Leather, plastic, and wood just aren't that expensive, particularly for 2 door coupe. I actually think the weight would be more detrimental than the cost.

And, I was remembering the results of the C/D comparo wrong, the Vette was actually 1.5 seconds faster around Grattan (in your face 93JC ;) :lol:), but they were much more impressed with the Viper's composure, it just didn't have enough power (that sounds rather silly, but it is true).

Raza

I don't mean it costs them 10K, but with the higher quality and expenditures, Chevrolet would see themselves justifying a higher profit margin.

And that's consistent with Automobile, which said that of the GT, Z06, and Viper, the Viper was the easiest to drive fast.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

QuoteCar companies spend billions of dollars developing cars.  Every little bit costs more.  Why do you think companies move to hard plastics for buttons to save money?  They save a lot of money by doing that.  No, imagine filling your interior with twice as much leather, adding brushed aluminum, wood, and/or carbon fiber, tougher inspection process to make sure the panel gaps are tighter and everything is built to spec, on top of the cost of designing the interior with the proper ergonomics.  Car reviewers rant and rave about ergonomics, whether they are bad or good, why would they if it didn't matter?  This shit all costs a lot of money.
The amount of money isn't significant per car, that cost-cutting only makes sense for high production vehicles. A nicer interior wouldn't add much to the cost of each vehicle, and certainly not a cost that couldn't be added to the car's MSRP without attracting undue attention.