Engine braking question

Started by 2o6, December 26, 2012, 04:49:18 PM

S204STi

Nah, that's fine.  Public roads aren't always crowded.  Though I'd start on an empty lot somewhere.

S204STi

Quote from: 2o6 on December 29, 2012, 09:40:01 AM
I was just asking if a persons theory was plausable. Where do you get the impression that ive never driven in snow before? This is my third car with my third winter.....

The driveshaft issus sounded plausable, but it didnt really mesh up with my personal exeprience.

Woah there, billy-jean. I'm not trying to insult you, just pointing out that with experience that claim in and of itself would instantly be implausible.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: S204STi on December 29, 2012, 10:56:33 AM
Nah, that's fine.  Public roads aren't always crowded.  Though I'd start on an empty lot somewhere.

I really don't think encouraging your kids to do stupid stuff while learning to drive is very smart... I've done a ton of stupid things thanks to inexperience. Having my dad tell me to drive even faster probably wouldn't have helped. Parking lot or track would be fine but public roads? No thanks.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: thecarnut on December 29, 2012, 11:23:12 AM
I really don't think encouraging your kids to do stupid stuff while learning to drive is very smart... I've done a ton of stupid things thanks to inexperience. Having my dad tell me to drive even faster probably wouldn't have helped. Parking lot or track would be fine but public roads? No thanks.

I disagree. Education under controlled conditions is better than figuring it out the hard/deadly way.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: thecarnut on December 29, 2012, 11:23:12 AM

You did dumb stuff in a car. I did dumb stuff in a car.
(in fact very first time with no adult in the car I was going "the long way" and ended up on a gravel road, coming around a hilly corner too fast and there were a bunch of kids in the road. I panicked, lifted, and spun out. Luckily didn't hit any of them or go off the road. And sheepishly looked to see if they'd heard me.)

*I* have the judgement to know when it's safe to do some 'extra training'. Maybe it WILL be in an empty lot. Obviously it won't be their first time behind the wheel. Obviously not when traffic is coming. Obviously not when I think there's possibility of hurting the car. And it will NEVER be STUPID, it WILL be more than usual lame driving. I will scare them. I will make them respect the responsibility that comes with driving.

All so they DON'T go doing it when it's unsafe.
Will

Cookie Monster

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 29, 2012, 11:51:32 AM
You did dumb stuff in a car. I did dumb stuff in a car.
(in fact very first time with no adult in the car I was going "the long way" and ended up on a gravel road, coming around a hilly corner too fast and there were a bunch of kids in the road. I panicked, lifted, and spun out. Luckily didn't hit any of them or go off the road. And sheepishly looked to see if they'd heard me.)

*I* have the judgement to know when it's safe to do some 'extra training'. Maybe it WILL be in an empty lot. Obviously it won't be their first time behind the wheel. Obviously not when traffic is coming. Obviously not when I think there's possibility of hurting the car. And it will NEVER be STUPID, it WILL be more than usual lame driving. I will scare them. I will make them respect the responsibility that comes with driving.

All so they DON'T go doing it when it's unsafe.

You're the parent, I'm not, so don't take it as me telling you what to do. All I know is, my parents yelling at me to slow down and not be an idiot while driving helped me slow down and not be an idiot. :lol:

And wrt your last comment - being teenagers, they will do it when it's unsafe. It's bound to happen.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

I did a sweet dorifto around a roundabout type thing in a local park yesterday. :rockon:

giant_mtb

When I was 14 and we had our '93 Explorer, I convinced my mom to take me to an empty parking lot during the winter so I could "practice winter driving." Which really just meant...spin donuts for 15 minutes. She didn't ride in the car with me, either, because she didn't want to get motion sickness. :lol:

hotrodalex

My dad took me out to a parking lot and pulled the handbrake anytime I turned the wheel, forcing me to correct the slide. And then he took over and did 180s and stuff.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: thecarnut on December 29, 2012, 11:54:08 AM
You're the parent, I'm not, so don't take it as me telling you what to do. All I know is, my parents yelling at me to slow down and not be an idiot while driving helped me slow down and not be an idiot. :lol:

There's a time and a place for everything. My goal is to teach them some of the limits of the car so they can respond to an emergency.

And wrt your last comment - being teenagers, they will do it when it's unsafe. It's bound to happen.

Yup. But if they learn how quickly it can get out of control in a more controlled environment, then mebbe they won't kill themselves.
Will

Rupert

I'm with SHO on this.

If it snows an inch tonight, I might get some PorchRitos in.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

I had hoped for snow, but it never stuck and now it's totally stopped. :(
Will

Cookie Monster

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 29, 2012, 06:12:18 PM
There's a time and a place for everything. My goal is to teach them some of the limits of the car so they can respond to an emergency.

Yup. But if they learn how quickly it can get out of control in a more controlled environment, then mebbe they won't kill themselves.

I think the "go too fast into a turn and brake hard" thing just didn't seem right to me. Seems like a good way to crash.

That's just me.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: thecarnut on December 29, 2012, 08:17:27 PM
I think the "go too fast into a turn and brake hard" thing just didn't seem right to me. Seems like a good way to crash.

That's just me.

Obviously you find somewhere with no stuff to crash into. Why would I want to wreck MY car or get injured??????????? 
Use some common sense here...   ;)
Will

S204STi

Luckily I grew up driving in an area with little to no winter traffic, so I had plenty of opportunities to explore emergency handling at lower speeds (25-ish) on snow and ice.

shp4man

When I was a teenager, my buddie's dad had just bought a new 1970 Impala hardtop, small block 400, nice car.
There was a paved over berm in town. Dude took it at 100mph. Impalas can fly. For a while.  :nutty:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on December 31, 2012, 02:12:57 PM
When I was a teenager, my buddie's dad had just bought a new 1970 Impala hardtop, small block 400, nice car.
There was a paved over berm in town. Dude took it at 100mph. Impalas can fly. For a while.  :nutty:

car was made deaded??
Will

shp4man

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on December 31, 2012, 03:40:38 PM
It made it through- the dad never found out.

wowsers!!

I took off a muffler or two on the really old Datsun the Subaru I was "lent".. 
Will

Rupert

A friend once put his parents' MPV in a ditch at 90, and they never found out.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on December 27, 2012, 07:21:21 PM
I agree on the steep mountain pass. But that's the extent of the usefulness of engine braking.
In a car, yes. On the bike, if I can't use engine braking, I'm either going too fast or following too closely. Plus those clutches are made to be used more frequently. Driving a car at engine speeds where engine braking can bring the car to a stop is a PITA but on a bike its recommended.

I think its prob most logical to rely on the brakes in the car, but mastering engine braking + rev match downshifting never hurts. For example, if your car's brakes are overheated, shifting down a few gears will help you slow down. Since the brakes are so far below threshold, the risk of locking anything up is much lower.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 01, 2013, 02:40:42 PM
In a car, yes. On the bike, if I can't use engine braking, I'm either going too fast or following too closely. Plus those clutches are made to be used more frequently. Driving a car at engine speeds where engine braking can bring the car to a stop is a PITA but on a bike its recommended.

I think its prob most logical to rely on the brakes in the car, but mastering engine braking + rev match downshifting never hurts. For example, if your car's brakes are overheated, shifting down a few gears will help you slow down. Since the brakes are so far below threshold, the risk of locking anything up is much lower.

Most high performance bikes have slipper clutches to limit the force of engine braking, which is far more sophisticated than the sprung clutch discs and driveline lash on most cars.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 01, 2013, 02:40:42 PM

Agree.