Engine braking question

Started by 2o6, December 26, 2012, 04:49:18 PM

2o6

I was driving a customer home in our shuttle Chevy Cruze, and I was using the manumatic function to control engine braking when going downhills to maintain control. The customer was quite a gearhead, and had a lot of technical knowledge, and he said that using transmission engine braking in a FWD car can actually be harmful and facilitate a spin because since the driveshafts are usually unequal, the engine braking on the front wheels will be uneven.

That sounds like it makes sense, but wouldn't unequal engine braking be better than none at all?

hotrodalex

I never had a problem with it in my Saturn.

VTEC_Inside

Unless you are on snow/ice the difference would be meaningless IMO. Even then it's not likely to be anything you'd notice.

Consider that you usually have to floor it to notice any torque steer, and that the braking force applied while coasting is a fraction of that acceleration force.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

2o6

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 26, 2012, 05:15:24 PM
Did you notice a problem?

Not really, but I just asked if it could be, since the customer said what he did with such certainty.

GoCougs

He's generally right but for the wrong reason.

Different length half shafts aren't a factor. The different in torsional deflection would be immeasurably slight especially on a slick surface. However, grabbing a lower gear with a large RPM drop (especially without rev matching downshifting) is not too much different than stabbing the brakes on only two sets of wheels, which can cause problems when on slick surfaces.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on December 26, 2012, 05:27:23 PM

Different length half shafts aren't a factor. The different in torsional deflection would be immeasurably slight especially on a slick surface. However, grabbing a lower gear with a large RPM drop (especially without rev matching downshifting) is not too much different than stabbing the brakes on only two sets of wheels, which can cause problems when on slick surfaces.

I thought so, but when I downshift I generally rev match. Downshifting in the automatic Cruze seems like it wouldn't do that much difference; the AT computer won't let me do it that fast, and I wasn't going very fast anyways.

giant_mtb

If you're on slippery shit and you downshift, there's a good chance the driven wheels will break traction because there isn't enough traction on the snow/slush/whatever to brake the vehicle and, depending on the  ABS's reaction, you could slide one way or another.  It'll happen in any car, FWD or not. :huh:

280Z Turbo

Too much engine braking in the RX-7 used to get the car fishtailing. It was a lot worse than what you'd get in a FWD car.

CJ

280Z Turbo

If I don't have to change gear, I'm not going to. I don't need my car patronizing me.

giant_mtb

Laconian

"D" = dumper? :lol:

On many manumatic transmissions there is a noticeable lurch during downshifts, which could upset traction, I suppose.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Laconian on December 26, 2012, 07:02:25 PM
"D" = dumper? :lol:

On many manumatic transmissions there is a noticeable lurch during downshifts, which could upset traction, I suppose.

He's pretty noticeable, I guess

S204STi

Engine braking is fine, and in fact my preference. Just don't downshift in a situation where the sudden deceleration could cause loss of control, and realize that as you lift the throttle your car will pitch more due to decel than it would have in a taller gear.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on December 26, 2012, 04:49:18 PM
I was driving a customer home in our shuttle Chevy Cruze, and I was using the manumatic function to control engine braking when going downhills to maintain control. The customer was quite a gearhead, and had a lot of technical knowledge, and he said that using transmission engine braking in a FWD car can actually be harmful and facilitate a spin because since the driveshafts are usually unequal, the engine braking on the front wheels will be uneven.

That sounds like it makes sense, but wouldn't unequal engine braking be better than none at all?

He's a kook, and is way over thinking things.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

S204STi

And anyway, a slide is preferred to plowing the nose wide.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Rupert

This sounds like it's from the realm of yeeaaahhh, I gueesssss, kinda, but, eh, meh.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

AutobahnSHO

At highway speeds wont do anything bad. On extreme snow and ice with auto you might need to throw it into neutral under 10mph so the tranny isn't fighting your braking...
Will

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on December 26, 2012, 05:27:23 PM

Both front wheels starting to slide simultaneously won't cause you to spin.  It will generally cause the front end to pull to one side due to the crown in the road and potentially cause you to slide off the road in certain extreme cases.

Honestly, it's pretty hard to cause a FWD car to spin via unequal braking force between the left and right front wheels.  As long as the rear wheels have decent lateral grip, it's going to take a fair bit of lateral brake imbalance to induce yaw.  You would really need essentially full traction at one front wheel and zero at the other three to induce a spin with the brakes.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MexicoCityM3

In most performance driving schools one of the first thing they tell you is to forget about engine braking. It's for 18 wheelers is a recurrent phrase. Basically it's much harder to modulate your "braking" with the engine than with the brakes and thus it's easier to get in a situation where you can break traction without intending to do so.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on December 27, 2012, 07:31:03 AM
In most performance driving schools one of the first thing they tell you is to forget about engine braking. It's for 18 wheelers is a recurrent phrase. Basically it's much harder to modulate your "braking" with the engine than with the brakes and thus it's easier to get in a situation where you can break traction without intending to do so.

+1

It's not even great for 18-wheelers on snow and ice, as the inbalance makes it more likely to jackknife.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

My doctrine regarding engine braking on public roads, regardless of weather, is this:  basically, be in the correct gear for a corner such that opening or closing the throttle will produce an impact on the attitude of the car.  I'm not a performance driver, however.  I'm just basing this on years of driving on snow-packed and icy roads (which it might surprise some to find out don't occur only in the U.P....)  I prefer to have the ability to slightly alter the yaw rate of the car with the throttle, as well as having brakes as a backup.  Also, I don't ride my brakes much if at all on any road.  I brake deliberately when traction allows, but otherwise use throttle to control the attitude of my car when I'm on slick surfaces.

On a track I imagine that since the best lap times are generally produced when you are using full application of your controls at all time (i.e. WOT as soon as possible, on the brakes as late and as hard as possible at all times) then yes, engine braking becomes moot.

280Z Turbo

I'm not exactly sure what that means. Anybody who comes up to a corner with the clutch in is not going to be fast.

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on December 27, 2012, 07:25:52 AM
Both front wheels starting to slide simultaneously won't cause you to spin.  It will generally cause the front end to pull to one side due to the crown in the road and potentially cause you to slide off the road in certain extreme cases.

Honestly, it's pretty hard to cause a FWD car to spin via unequal braking force between the left and right front wheels.  As long as the rear wheels have decent lateral grip, it's going to take a fair bit of lateral brake imbalance to induce yaw.  You would really need essentially full traction at one front wheel and zero at the other three to induce a spin with the brakes.

Yep, hence my lack of the use of the term "spin" in that reply.  ;).

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 27, 2012, 01:56:36 PM
I'm not exactly sure what that means. Anybody who comes up to a corner with the clutch in is not going to be fast.

You don't use the engine for braking, that doesn't mean that you go into a corner with the clutch in. You downshift as necessary during braking, that's what heel & toe is for.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Rupert

Engine braking is very useful in the non-performance driving world. That's what it means to put the car in a lower gear as you head down a steep mountain pass, for example. You shouldn't ever really be shifting down to slow down for a curve or stop light, though I do sometimes, just for shits.

hotrodalex

I downshift for stoplights all the time (when I drive a stickshift car). Might as well. :huh: A little bit of brake pressure to keep the brake lights on, but downshifting can almost get me to a stop if I spot a red light early enough.