Lightning Lap 2013

Started by SVT666, December 29, 2012, 09:03:04 AM

Onslaught

Quote from: r0tor on January 02, 2013, 10:55:50 AM
The ST would have been much faster, but the editors took off with the key on the roof and it got smashed into a million pieces so they only had limited run time
I did something like that right after I got the RX-8. I was driving out if my driveway and saw some fucking Canadian Geese swimming in my pond. Got out if the car and left it running and put the key on the roof. Ran the birds off and got into the car and drove 2 miles away and the car started beeping at me a a red light came up in the dash. My first thought was "your two weeks old and having a problem!?" Raced back home and walked forever before I found the key on the road. A car had run over it but somehow didn't even put a dent in the case. Works fine too.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on January 02, 2013, 11:27:32 AM
I did something like that right after I got the RX-8. I was driving out if my driveway and saw some fucking Canadian Geese swimming in my pond. Got out if the car and left it running and put the key on the roof. Ran the birds off and got into the car and drove 2 miles away and the car started beeping at me a a red light came up in the dash. My first thought was "your two weeks old and having a problem!?" Raced back home and walked forever before I found the key on the road. A car had run over it but somehow didn't even put a dent in the case. Works fine too.

Oh crap, I thought he was joking. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  on January 02, 2013, 11:33:57 AM
Those fucking thin ass Mazda keys are so easy to forget or fall where you don't want them too. I have one place in the house and another in the car that my key stays all the time now. If I keep it in my pocket driving it will slip out and go under the seat every time. And with those seats in the R3 it can be a bitch to get it back out. I miss normal keys.

r0tor

Quote from: Raza  on January 02, 2013, 11:33:57 AM

Im not nearly creative enough to come up with that excuse.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

FWIW the best way to interpret a cars handling from the lightening lap comparos is on a graph of lap time vs lbs/hp.

Not sure if they updated it for this year already, but C&D had this graph on their website and nearly 80% of the cars fell on a straight line.  The outliers were the cars that were much better then average or worse then average.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rich

Quote from: r0tor on January 02, 2013, 12:52:02 PM
FWIW the best way to interpret a cars handling from the lightening lap comparos is on a graph of lap time vs lbs/hp.

Not sure if they updated it for this year already, but C&D had this graph on their website and nearly 80% of the cars fell on a straight line.  The outliers were the cars that were much better then average or worse then average.

Yep, I loved oogling that graph for a few minutes.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on January 02, 2013, 12:52:02 PM

Oh, awesome.  I didn't know they did that.  Any links to past years?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

sportyaccordy

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/lightning-lap-2012-plotting-performance.pdf

Interesting graph. The split of cars on the left/right side of the line is telling.

Rich

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 02, 2013, 01:34:14 PM
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/lightning-lap-2012-plotting-performance.pdf

Interesting graph. The split of cars on the left/right side of the line is telling.

Yep.  Tire sizes and compounds, and suspensions is what seems to set them apart.  Tires more than anything
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 02, 2013, 10:18:21 AM
In my experience tires definitely can be worth a couple of minutes on a 3 minute track, but well - it's all hypothetical. And sub-3 minute or not, the performance of this Camaro is extraordinary for the price.

Actually, it wasn't better tires it was "fresh" tires that were needed/recommended; the 1LE tester had worn tires which is a big factor. A bad shift can easily be up to a second in and of itself. It was reported previously in C&D that Chevy said they themselves tested the 1LE to a sub-3 minute lap at VIR.

The REAL story IMO of the 1LE is that it's simply not a not super stiff stripped low and volume edition like the Boss 302 LS. It's still a loaded SS (leather, nav, gauges, etc.) with some enhancement.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on January 02, 2013, 01:53:09 PM
Actually, it wasn't better tires it was "fresh" tires that were needed/recommended; the 1LE tester had worn tires which is a big factor. A bad shift can easily be up to a second in and of itself. It was reported previously in C&D that Chevy said they themselves tested the 1LE to a sub-3 minute lap at VIR.

The REAL story IMO of the 1LE is that it's simply not a not super stiff stripped low and volume edition like the Boss 302 LS. It's still a loaded SS (leather, nav, gauges, etc.) with some enhancement.
The Boss is a loaded GT Premium with the addition of suede Recaro seats.  :nutty:

MrH

So what's the big difference between the SS and 1LE that makes it so much faster?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on January 02, 2013, 02:03:23 PM
The Boss is a loaded GT Premium with the addition of suede Recaro seats.  :nutty:

:facepalm: The Boss 302 gets stuffed by the 1LE. I referenced the Boss 302 LS, which is closer to the 1LE but it's super stiff and doesn't even have a back seat lol.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MrH on January 02, 2013, 02:16:47 PM
So what's the big difference between the SS and 1LE that makes it so much faster?
It's all in the suspension tuning/tires! The engine is the same as the SS.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on January 02, 2013, 02:16:47 PM

Shorter gearing in both the diff and tranny, bigger sway bars F&R, different shocks, different suspension bits (toe links, ball joints, various bracing, etc., from the ZL1), different springs, the Goodyear Supercar tires and (obviously) a whole bunch of tuning and testing.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: GoCougs on January 02, 2013, 02:31:43 PM
Shorter gearing in both the diff and tranny, bigger sway bars F&R, different shocks, different suspension bits (toe links, ball joints, various bracing, etc., from the ZL1), different springs, the Goodyear Supercar tires and (obviously) a whole bunch of tuning and testing.
Yep but the front and rear tires are the same size unlike the stagger tires on the ZL1.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

LonghornTX

Quote from: GoCougs on January 02, 2013, 02:22:46 PM
:facepalm: The Boss 302 gets stuffed by the 1LE. I referenced the Boss 302 LS, which is closer to the 1LE but it's super stiff and doesn't even have a back seat lol.
Around this track, but the BOSS is also faster in a straight line and looks and sounds infinitely better. I also wouldn't describe either BOSS as super stiff, having driven both.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

LonghornTX

You do realize the only thing that is "stripped" about the laguna seca is its rear seat being replaced by a sweet looking brace. Otherwise it has all the features of a normal mustang

LonghornTX

Quote from: HotRodPilot on January 02, 2013, 01:51:16 PM
Yep.  Tire sizes and compounds, and suspensions is what seems to set them apart.  Tires more than anything
Tires are everything on a track

Onslaught

SVT666

:facepalm: The Laguna Seca is a Boss 302 with a rear seat delete and added crossbrace in place of it.  There are a few track oriented additions, but otherwise it's the same car with all the same options.

GoCougs

Quote from: LonghornTX on January 02, 2013, 02:56:27 PM
Tires are everything on a track

Not really. Engineering a hi-po car is a holistic top-to-bottom design - chassis (stiffness, polar moment of inertia, weight balance, etc.) + suspension (geometry, unsprung weight, spring tuning (progression profile, rate), etc.) + tires (contact patch, sidewall stiffness, grip, etc.), and then of course all of that analyzed/tested/tuned as whole. Otherwise hi-po cars would simply come from the factory with really stiff springs, huge sway bars, wide wheels, and mega sticky low profile meats.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on January 02, 2013, 03:08:37 PM

:facepalm: The Laguna Seca is a Boss 302 with a rear seat delete and added crossbrace in place of it.  There are a few track oriented additions, but otherwise it's the same car with all the same options.

Quote from: LonghornTX on January 02, 2013, 02:55:17 PM
You do realize the only thing that is "stripped" about the laguna seca is its rear seat being replaced by a sweet looking brace. Otherwise it has all the features of a normal mustang

A car with a base MSRP of $49,950 with a removed back seat, no nav, no leather, and by way of further Googlism, only the base amenities of the $22,000 version of the car (base stereo, no dual zone climate, no fog lights) is most definitely stripped.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on January 02, 2013, 03:53:20 PM
A car with a base MSRP of $49,950 with a removed back seat, no nav, no leather, and by way of further Googlism, only the base amenities of the $22,000 version of the car (base stereo, no dual zone climate, no fog lights) is most definitely stripped.
Nah.  Stripped is what my 1996 Mustang GT was.  It had A/C.  That's it.  No cruise control, no ABS, no traction control, no power seats. No power windows, power locks, or even power mirrors.  Nothing but A/C.  That's stripped.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on January 02, 2013, 03:41:25 PM
Not really. Engineering a hi-po car is a holistic top-to-bottom design - chassis (stiffness, polar moment of inertia, weight balance, etc.) + suspension (geometry, unsprung weight, spring tuning (progression profile, rate), etc.) + tires (contact patch, sidewall stiffness, grip, etc.), and then of course all of that analyzed/tested/tuned as whole. Otherwise hi-po cars would simply come from the factory with really stiff springs, huge sway bars, wide wheels, and mega sticky low profile meats.
The margin of error on all that shit is much higher than the wrong rubber... what good is all that shit if you don't have the rubber to utilize it?

On the flip side, good tires will make an MKZ slalom faster than an M5. Obviously there's more to that than a fast lap time, but assuming everything works (brakes dont burn up, transmission is obedient), tires are huge

Quote from: GoCougs on January 02, 2013, 03:53:20 PM

All its missing from a base GT is the rear seat, what other than that has it been stripped of?

LonghornTX

Quote from: GoCougs on January 02, 2013, 03:41:25 PM
Yes really. Tires are by far the single most impactful variable of a car's performance on a track, all other things being equal. Mainly because they affect so many different things (confidence, cornering, braking, traction, etc.). If you have ever tuned a car for the track, you would know that. Yes, of course, you will not take a car that is very poorly engineered in other ways and make it a track star simply by slapping on additional rubber, but good rubber (and lots of width) will hide a great many things.

Having 285 width tires all around most certainly does a whole lot for the handling of Camaro SS, more so than any of the other handling changes they made to the car.

LonghornTX

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 02, 2013, 04:33:20 PM
The margin of error on all that shit is much higher than the wrong rubber... what good is all that shit if you don't have the rubber to utilize it?

On the flip side, good tires will make an MKZ slalom faster than an M5. Obviously there's more to that than a fast lap time, but assuming everything works (brakes dont burn up, transmission is obedient), tires are huge
All its missing from a base GT is the rear seat, what other than that has it been stripped of?
That article about Edmunds is hilarious to me. Them bitching about the car performing well because it was equipped with a factory performance option is one of the reasons I don't bother reading their articles. Do your research Edmunds, this stuff is available on Lincoln's website.

GoCougs

Quote from: LonghornTX on January 02, 2013, 05:48:39 PM
Yes really. Tires are by far the single most impactful variable of a car's performance on a track, all other things being equal. Mainly because they affect so many different things (confidence, cornering, braking, traction, etc.). If you have ever tuned a car for the track, you would know that. Yes, of course, you will not take a car that is very poorly engineered in other ways and make it a track star simply by slapping on additional rubber, but good rubber (and lots of width) will hide a great many things.

Having 285 width tires all around most certainly does a whole lot for the handling of Camaro SS, more so than any of the other handling changes they made to the car.

Again, not really. Put 20" 285 Sport Cups at all four corners of the base Camaro SS and watch it not do a whole lot better, in addition to probably picking up some undesirable handling traits. Again, if it was mostly tires, that's probably what GM would have done for for the 1LE trim package. It's about holistic automotive engineering not bolting on stuff from out of a catalog.

LonghornTX

Quote from: GoCougs on January 02, 2013, 06:04:00 PM
Again, not really. Put 20" 285 Sport Cups at all four corners of the base Camaro SS and watch it not do a whole lot better, in addition to probably picking up some undesirable handling traits. Again, if it was mostly tires, that's probably what GM would have done for for the 1LE trim package. It's about holistic automotive engineering not bolting on stuff from out of a catalog.

Your hypothetical example proves my point even more. No doubt, you need a ton of pieces to be tuned for a car to handle just right, but you can certainly cut down lap times in a hurry by putting on a lot of rubber that is of a high quality, especially on a car that already has a lot of power and a decent suspension. All of the other changes they made to the 1LE wouldn't do much without increased mechanical grip. Stiffer springs and sway bars allow you to take advantage of the increased mechanical grip provided by wider, stickier tires. Having a square setup on a track is ideal, especially when you can run so much rubber on the front end. That allows you a lot more freedom in how you tune the car.

But, I can't imagine you have ever actually driven on a track, much less tuned a car for a track, now have you?

hotrodalex

Quote from: LonghornTX on January 02, 2013, 06:16:06 PM
Stiffer springs and sway bars allow you to take advantage of the increased mechanical grip provided by wider, stickier tires.

Wider, stickier tires allow you to take advantage of the handling characteristics produced by suspension tuning.

Stick less grippy tires on a good handling car and it's still going to handle well. Track times start with getting the right set up and are only aided by grippy tires that allow you to push limits.