Lightning Lap 2013

Started by SVT666, December 29, 2012, 09:03:04 AM

SVT666

The Shelby GT500 finally turns an impressive lap at 3:00 flat...but then the Camaro 1LE with 240 fewer horsepower turns a 3:01, and the ZL1 turns a 2:57.  I gotta admit...those Camaros are pretty damn impressive.  Ugly, but impressive.

The Ferrari 458 trips the clock at 2:49.  The only 4 cars faster all wore R-coumpound rubber.  That's really fast.

I don't have a link to the article,  but I do have a screenshot feom my phone of the results page.

Gotta-Qik-C7

That 1LE is really impressive!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

Judging by the low peak speed, the 1LE just handles better than anything else.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

68_427

The Genesis coupe weighs as much as the 1LE and GT500...
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

The 1LE has a bit shorter gearing (3.45 vs. 3.92:1) than the SS, which should have been done from the outset (EPA mileage remains unchanged), resulting in a bit better accel times: 0-60 in 4.3 sec. and 12.7 sec @ 112 mph 1/4 mile.

Rich

Do they have these times included in a master list somewhere in this issue?  I'd like to see that
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

sportyaccordy

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 29, 2012, 12:22:35 PM
Do they have these times included in a master list somewhere in this issue?  I'd like to see that
I think they might on C&D's website. I will check when I get back from the gym.

Very good line up this year, but I'm kind of disappointed in the lack of surprises. Also hoped they would get their hands on an MP4-12C. I'm hoping next year they can get that, the Aventador, F12B and maybe the Huayra together. We'll see

Rich

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 29, 2012, 12:30:37 PM
I think they might on C&D's website. I will check when I get back from the gym.

Very good line up this year, but I'm kind of disappointed in the lack of surprises. Also hoped they would get their hands on an MP4-12C. I'm hoping next year they can get that, the Aventador, F12B and maybe the Huayra together. We'll see

I think if you saw the ZL1/1LE included with previous years, there would be surprise.  I find it surprising that the BRZ is 3 seconds faster than the Focus ST

GoCougs

Got my issue today. The 1LE also had worn tires...

"Remove the one regrettable slip-up (poorly timed 3-2 downshift) and add a fresh set of Goodyears, and you have a sub-three-minute care for the low, low price of $37,390."

Rich

68_427

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 29, 2012, 12:41:24 PM
I think if you saw the ZL1/1LE included with previous years, there would be surprise.  I find it surprising that the BRZ is 3 seconds faster than the Focus ST

They broke the Focus' key which means it didn't run the second day.  All the cars ran their fast laps on the second day.  They figure take another 5 seconds or so off the Focus' time.
'racecar is die'
no

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on December 29, 2012, 12:19:41 PM
The 1LE has a bit shorter gearing (3.45 vs. 3.92:1) than the SS, which should have been done from the outset (EPA mileage remains unchanged), resulting in a bit better accel times: 0-60 in 4.3 sec. and 12.7 sec @ 112 mph 1/4 mile.

Taller?

S204STi

Quote from: 68_427 on December 29, 2012, 10:18:39 PM
They broke the Focus' key which means it didn't run the second day.  All the cars ran their fast laps on the second day.  They figure take another 5 seconds or so off the Focus' time.

:facepalm:

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

LonghornTX

Absolutely ridiculously fast times for the Camaro twins. I expected as much for the ZL1, but not the 1LE
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

SVT666

Quote from: LonghornTX on December 31, 2012, 12:00:58 PM
Absolutely ridiculously fast times for the Camaro twins. I expected as much for the ZL1, but not the 1LE
None of the comparos with the ZL1 and the GT500 have a clear cut winner in terms of lap times.  Some are won by the Camaro and others by the Shelby, but in this one the ZL1 spanked the Shelby.  I'm not sure if it is because the GT500's brakes were starting to experience fade with this lap being twice as long as any other I've seen them do,  or if this track is twistier than the other tracks, or both.  The 1LE blew me away though.  Faster than the Boss 302 and just over a second slower than the GT500 that has 240 MORE hp.  The 1LE doesn't even have the magnetowhatever shocks.

LonghornTX

Quote from: SVT666 on December 31, 2012, 01:07:15 PM
None of the comparos with the ZL1 and the GT500 have a clear cut winner in terms of lap times.  Some are won by the Camaro and others by the Shelby, but in this one the ZL1 spanked the Shelby.  I'm not sure if it is because the GT500's brakes were starting to experience fade with this lap being twice as long as any other I've seen them do,  or if this track is twistier than the other tracks, or both.  The 1LE blew me away though.  Faster than the Boss 302 and just over a second slower than the GT500 that has 240 MORE hp.  The 1LE doesn't even have the magnetowhatever shocks.
I have read all those comparos too, and the majority of them go to the ZL1 in track times. Only the tracks with long straights are where the GT500 stands a chance. I would still get either of the Mustangs over either of the Camaros because I don't buy my muscle cars solely for track times, but I have to admit that these two Camaro models are faster than their Mustang competitors, at least around a track. In a straight line they get smoked.

SVT666

Even though the testers all pick the ZL1 as the winner the testers have almost unanimously stated the GT500 is more fun.  I want fun when I drive.

LonghornTX

Quote from: SVT666 on December 31, 2012, 01:58:57 PM
Even though the testers all pick the ZL1 as the winner the testers have almost unanimously stated the GT500 is more fun.  I want fun when I drive.
I'm sure both cars are a ton of fun to drive. My main gripe with the Camaro is the visibility and ergonomics of driving the car fast. The SS I drove was hard to feel comfortable (for me) driving fast in because of the poor visibility, especially placing it in corners. It just feels huge, in a way that the similarly large Mustang doesn't. I also think they kind of look silly, inside and out.

But they are damn fast around a track it seems, at least as a ZL1 or 1LE. Honestly, I believe most of it has to do with the amount of rubber they can run on the front versus the Mustang. With the standard strut, Mustang can only run 265, versus 285 in the Camaro. That makes a big difference on the track. The brakes on the GT500 also seem to be a bit weak.

For me, I am keeping my 08' GT forever, so I plan to eventually put a Griggs SLA on the front and 305s all the way around. I just got in the parts to do a 3.73 gear and BOSS Torsion differential swap. After that will be a procharger most likely.

SVT666

I feel the same way about the SS I drove.  Exactly the same way.  It was fun and very fast in a straight line though.

305s are really wide for the front.  That will absolutely destroy steering feel and you will suffer from wide tire syndrome. 

LonghornTX

Quote from: SVT666 on December 31, 2012, 02:47:25 PM
I feel the same way about the SS I drove.  Exactly the same way.  It was fun and very fast in a straight line though.

305s are really wide for the front.  That will absolutely destroy steering feel and you will suffer from wide tire syndrome. 
With the SLA, the weight it removes from the front (something like 200 lbs), the new steering rack that will be utilized, and the ability to run Cups, I am not too worried about the steering being that much different. There is already a noticeable difference with the mods I have made in the steering feel and it is night and day when compared with the electric systems in the 11-13's. They will tramline like a b*tch, but that is ok. With that setup, plus some other weight reduction measures, the car should be around 3000lbs and once I get the blower and stroker kit in, it should be around 600hp at the crank. I will probably be done by that point haha

CJ

The first car I did massive burnouts and powerslides in was a Camaro SS, then a Mercedes S500. 

68_427

Quote from: SVT666 on December 31, 2012, 01:07:15 PM
None of the comparos with the ZL1 and the GT500 have a clear cut winner in terms of lap times.  Some are won by the Camaro and others by the Shelby, but in this one the ZL1 spanked the Shelby.  I'm not sure if it is because the GT500's brakes were starting to experience fade with this lap being twice as long as any other I've seen them do,  or if this track is twistier than the other tracks, or both.  The 1LE blew me away though.  Faster than the Boss 302 and just over a second slower than the GT500 that has 240 MORE hp.  The 1LE d

oesn't even have the magnetowhatever shocks.

They also said the 1LE would have run under 3:00 without a bad shift and worn tires.  Very hard to believe.
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

The Boxster S beat the RS5, M5, and M6.  That's pretty impressive. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

I just got the iPad edition yesterday with this article. It is very interesting reading through their comments for each car because it gives a lot of context.

I'd say the champ for this edition is definitely the 1LE. It is basically a sub-3 minute bargain car. The LTE is also great. It intrigued me enough to go look at one, but there were none at the dealership I visited. I think it would be fun to humiliate Porsches at track events with a Camaro of all things.

They have nothing but high praise for the 335i as usual.

The M5/M6 were praised for the heroic engine, criticized for brakes mostly. These are GT's, not track cars and performed about as expected. After all, they are about 6 seconds faster than the previous gen. The S6 was a bit disappointing on track but they still love it and consider it best in class.

The Boxster S. What a fantastic car. Also went to a Porsche dealership to take a look. What an incredible car. I think that will be my first Porsche. I am really tempted.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SVT666

Take that "sub 3 minute" guestimate with a grain of salt.  They can't say for sure that it would be and I highly doubt it would be over a second and a half quicker than it was. Maybe a few tenths, but not almost 2 seconds.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: SVT666 on January 02, 2013, 10:12:41 AM
Take that "sub 3 minute" guestimate with a grain of salt.  They can't say for sure that it would be and I highly doubt it would be over a second and a half quicker than it was. Maybe a few tenths, but not almost 2 seconds.

In my experience tires definitely can be worth a couple of minutes on a 3 minute track, but well - it's all hypothetical. And sub-3 minute or not, the performance of this Camaro is extraordinary for the price.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

r0tor

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 29, 2012, 12:41:24 PM

The ST would have been much faster, but the editors took off with the key on the roof and it got smashed into a million pieces so they only had limited run time
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 02, 2013, 10:18:21 AM
In my experience tires definitely can be worth a couple of minutes on a 3 minute track, but well - it's all hypothetical. And sub-3 minute or not, the performance of this Camaro is extraordinary for the price.
Oh, it absolutely is extraordinary for the price, but I highly doubt it would be 2 seconds faster.  That would put it within 2 seconds of the ZL1 and I really have a hard time believing that.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on January 02, 2013, 09:02:36 AM
The Boxster S beat the RS5, M5, and M6.  That's pretty impressive. 

HP helps but the real measure of track prowess is weight to tire contact patch. Bimmer's front tires are basically doubly loaded compared to the Boxster. S6 for example IS doubly loaded compared to Boxster. No grip, can't turn, can't go around the track. Just another reason why these technobarges suck.

Cheesy as it sounds I learned this in Forza. Tire patch size, weight distribution, weight and drive wheels are way more important than HP