What was the last "game changer"?

Started by sportyaccordy, December 29, 2012, 12:27:51 PM

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 29, 2012, 06:54:53 PM
Market is headed towards the integration of devices, not haptic interfaces. That none of the Japanese OEMs have offered touch screen replacement for HVAC controls, but are offering shit like Hondalink, says it all.Pilot? Why not the Highlander, which came out 2 years earlier?
Agree on Prius.
Mustang success prob did give Hyundai the confidence to do the Genesis coupe. I think the 350Z was more successful in this regard though.
CLS is a good one.
Fit is another good one. Def a step up from the likes of the Aspire and old Accent. I don't know if the Fiesta is legit. If any subcompact made the case for the premium subcompact it was the Mini. I wouldn't call the Fiesta premium.

I don't think the Fit or Fiesta (although good cars) were as influential in that segment as the xB and Mini were. The Fit drove nicely, but the Toyota twins matched them on comfort and quality.

And sales of the Fiesta have generally been mediocre.

ifcar

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 29, 2012, 06:54:53 PM

Pilot? Why not the Highlander, which came out 2 years earlier?

I was giving Honda credit for the third row, which became the feature to have. (Buick was technically first among mainstream crossovers, but the Rendezvous didn't change any games for it.)

I don't know if the Fiesta is legit. If any subcompact made the case for the premium subcompact it was the Mini. I wouldn't call the Fiesta premium.

The Mini was really a niche car, building on the success of the New Beetle. Whereas Ford was essentially saying "I see your Aveo and Rio and raise you a Fiesta" -- just a very different type of vehicle for a mainstream segment, and one that led the way to most competitors moving upscale.

Quote from: 2o6 on December 29, 2012, 07:36:11 PM
I don't think the Fit or Fiesta (although good cars) were as influential in that segment as the xB and Mini were. The Fit drove nicely, but the Toyota twins matched them on comfort and quality.

The xB didn't attract attention to the class the way the Fit did. It was an oddity; the Fit was mainstream.

And sales of the Fiesta have generally been mediocre.

They dropped only after so many competitors introduced a Fiesta-like car.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on December 29, 2012, 08:01:05 PM
I was giving Honda credit for the third row, which became the feature to have. (Buick was technically first among mainstream crossovers, but the Rendezvous didn't change any games for it.)

The Mini was really a niche car, building on the success of the New Beetle. Whereas Ford was essentially saying "I see your Aveo and Rio and raise you a Fiesta" -- just a very different type of vehicle for a mainstream segment, and one that led the way to most competitors moving upscale.

But it isn't selling all that well, and IMO it's not that upscale. All other competitors had better offering in the wings (and were introduced right after the Fiesta came out). It's not like the Fiesta sat on the market for quite some time in a unique place and everyone emulated it. Arguably, the Fiesta is an also-ran in the segment.

The Mini has such more of cult following, and given the fact that it was as popular as it was (especially in small car timid) USA, the Mini is more of an upscale small car than the Fiesta.

hotrodalex

While Mini sales might not be super high, everyone knows what a Mini is and it's definitely had an impact on the image of small cars. Might be a "niche" but it's a very well-known niche.

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 29, 2012, 08:16:14 PM
While Mini sales might not be super high, everyone knows what a Mini is and it's definitely had an impact on the image of small cars. Might be a "niche" but it's a very well-known niche.

It wasn't that low of sales. Quick research shows that 2002 Minis were 24K yearly. xB's (not counting 2003, it was only available in California) - 47K.  Honda Fit (introduction) - 27K. The Yaris is on the same plane as the Fit, and upon introduction in 2007, it sold 70K units.

I think the Mini paved more for the acceptance for small cars than the Fit and especially Fiesta did.

sportyaccordy

Yah... Mini would not have been able to create niches within niches had it not been for its success. Plus without the Mini there would be no 500. I think the New Beetle did kind of pave the way for the Mini, but that's a shakier connection than the Mini ---> 500.

In a way the Mini set off the wave of current subcompacts.

Laconian

The Mini pushed the price ceiling for small cars sky high. Who would drop $35k on a compact? An awful lot of people, as Mini has proven...

Renault Espace/Chrysler Minivan - have these been mentioned?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on December 29, 2012, 08:59:10 PM
The Mini pushed the price ceiling for small cars sky high. Who would drop $35k on a compact? An awful lot of people, as Mini has proven...

The Chrysler vans were.

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 29, 2012, 08:33:16 PM
Yah... Mini would not have been able to create niches within niches had it not been for its success. Plus without the Mini there would be no 500. I think the New Beetle did kind of pave the way for the Mini, but that's a shakier connection than the Mini ---> 500.

In a way the Mini set off the wave of current subcompacts.

Yeah, the Beetle was not that successful IMO in terms of transforming the marketplace compared with MINI.

93JC

'83 Camry? O_o

Most people scarcely even remember there was a Camry going that far back. It wasn't until the late '80s or early '90s that the Camry broke into the top 10 in annual US sales, and it took until 1997 for it to actually take top spot. I'd argue the Camry didn't really change the game in any significant way, it was merely a finely honed take on an old concept. You can make the argument that that in itself is game-changing, in the same way that the Miata was merely a finely honed version of the traditional small sports car, but in the Camry's case the Honda Accord did the same thing and did it first (and arguably better). If the Camry's concept was a game-changer in any way then the representative example of that should instead be the '82 Accord, the first time a 'Japanese' car was made in North America, or the 1990 Accord, the first time a 'foreign' car was the most popular in the United States.

In the same vein I would say the 1980 GM X-body cars were a game-changer: the Citation was the first front-drive car to ever top the annual US sales charts; a rear-drive car has scarcely held that position ever since. It was the first truly popular transverse-engine, front-drive, mid-size car. Every mainstream mid-size car in North America since then has been a riff on that basic idea.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Laconian on December 29, 2012, 08:59:10 PM
Yea I mentioned the Caravan in the first post. Mentioned them in another thread too; people disagreed lol.

When MINIs came (back) out they were a fresh idea. Granted, VW had that segment on lock with the high trim GTIs but w/e. Now MINIs are 3300lb I don't know whats. But they make money which is the name of the game.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 29, 2012, 10:15:41 PM
Yea I mentioned the Caravan in the first post. Mentioned them in another thread too; people disagreed lol.

When MINIs came (back) out they were a fresh idea. Granted, VW had that segment on lock with the high trim GTIs but w/e. Now MINIs are 3300lb I don't know whats. But they make money which is the name of the game.

No they don't....

CALL_911

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 29, 2012, 10:15:41 PM

fux u talkin bout

Yeah, the AWD Countryman S weighs 3,200 lbs. The Cooper S weighs like 2700 lbs.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sportyaccordy

A little hyperbole never hurt nobody.

Payman

Nobody mentioned the Chrysler 300C yet. Introduced for the '95 model year, it brought back the big RWD American sedan, but with a modern platform, killer looks, and performance unheard of for a big American car.

SVT666

Quote from: Rockraven on December 30, 2012, 01:17:50 PM
Nobody mentioned the Chrysler 300C yet. Introduced for the '95 model year, it brought back the big RWD American sedan, but with a modern platform, killer looks, and performance unheard of for a big American car.
Yet Chrysler is still the only one making big RWD mainstream sedans.  It didn' t change anything.

Laconian

Yeah, it didn't exactly spark a renaissance for sedans.

Payman

Okay, how about the New Beetle? It influenced the return of the Mini and 500.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on December 30, 2012, 02:50:11 PM
Okay, how about the New Beetle? It influenced the return of the Mini and 500.

Yeah, but it soldiered on for far too long unchanged.

Laconian

I think it is game changing because it sparked the retro craze of the early to mid aughts.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Rockraven on December 30, 2012, 01:17:50 PM

'05? And yea that is a good one.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on December 30, 2012, 01:50:06 PM
Yet Chrysler is still the only one making big RWD mainstream sedans.  It didn' t change anything.
I don't think Chrysler would be here today w/o the 300. Industry wide influence is one measure of impact, but a company's trajectory is another.

Laconian

Ummmm. What trajectory? They were given away to Fiat for FREE.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Laconian on December 30, 2012, 03:57:49 PM
Ummmm. What trajectory? They were given away to Fiat for FREE.
Lol touche. Well, maybe they wouldn't even have made it that far. They were having a good run for a while.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 30, 2012, 03:23:37 PM
I don't think Chrysler would be here today w/o the 300. Industry wide influence is one measure of impact, but a company's trajectory is another.
I disagree.  If it's a game changer then it must change the game.  It didn't.  The 1991 Ford Explorer was a game changer. The Chrysler minivans were game changers.  The 1994 Dodge Ram was a game changer.  The 1964 Mustang was a game changer.  The 300C was an important car for Chrysler but it didn't change anyone else's game even a little bit.

Raza

Quote from: MrH on December 29, 2012, 03:36:36 PM
People said the same about cell phones :huh:

And I maintain that you shouldn't be using a phone as the driver of a moving car.  Driving my brother's S4 today, with its dizzying array of electronics, was a keen reminder of why all these features in newer cars can be a bad thing.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: SVT666 on December 30, 2012, 04:29:29 PM
I disagree.  If it's a game changer then it must change the game.  It didn't.  The 1991 Ford Explorer was a game changer. The Chrysler minivans were game changers.  The 1994 Dodge Ram was a game changer.  The 1964 Mustang was a game changer.  The 300C was an important car for Chrysler but it didn't change anyone else's game even a little bit.

One could argue that it forced other full-size sedans to emphasize style over practicality, as automakers saw the success of the 300 compared to the Five Hundred.

93JC

Quote from: SVT666 on December 30, 2012, 04:29:29 PM
The 1991 Ford Explorer was a game changer.

Said it before and I'll say it again: didn't change shit.

SVT666

It absolutely did.  It wasn't the first,  but if it had not been built and had not taken the market by storm the way it did,  the SUV craze would not have happened...or at least not for several more years.  SUVs until then were off road trucks.  The Explorer made them mainstream and a livable and comfortable daily driver.