Ford to debut pickup truck with mobile office

Started by SaltyDog, November 01, 2005, 04:36:38 PM

SaltyDog

DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. says it will soon offer wireless mobile offices in its F-series pickups, an option aimed at building contractors and others who do business on the road.

Pricing isn?t finalized, but it would cost around $3,000 for a wireless-equipped computer, printer and global positioning system, Ford spokesman Alan Hall said. Add-ons like a digital camera and credit card scanner also would be available.

A Ford F-250 Super Duty truck equipped with a mobile office was being shown Tuesday at the Specialty Equipment Market Association show in Las Vegas. The annual show isn?t open to the public, but it dazzles an estimated 100,000 automotive insiders with souped-up vehicles and the latest aftermarket trends and components.

Ford expects to offer the mobile office as a dealer-installed accessory in 2006. The system uses a flat Stargate Mobile computer, powered by the truck?s battery and mounted on a stand between the driver?s seat and passenger seat.

The computer has a touch-screen option ? eliminating the need for a keyboard or mouse ? and is designed to be removed from the stand and taken to a work site. It stays connected to the Internet via a broadband wireless cellular card.

?It?s super rugged. You can drop it in the dirt, pick it up, brush it off and you?re good to go,? said Patty Dilger, director of North American automotive and industrial equipment for Microsoft Corp., which worked with Ford to develop the mobile office and provides the Windows XP Professional operating system.
Isaac Brekken / AP
The Stargate Mobile computer that will be offered as a dealer installed option in Ford F-Series vehicles includes a printer.

Dilger said this is the first time that operating system has been available as a dealer-installed option in a vehicle. Microsoft has an operating system called Windows Automotive 5.0 in about 18 vehicle models, but it?s mainly used for vehicle communication systems such as real-time traffic updates.

The computer in the Ford pickups will be equipped with office software, including Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint, and also can play music or be used for navigation. Around 60 percent of F-series buyers use their trucks for business, Hall said.

? 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9883795/

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Raza

Great...they just lumped my two favorite kind of drivers together in one vehicle.

:rolleyes:  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SaltyDog

QuoteGreat...they just lumped my two favorite kind of drivers together in one vehicle.

Who would that be?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

Secret Chimp

Hopefully they disable it when the thing is moving.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

ifcar

Quote? 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
:D

Seriously though, this isn't really all that special. Not only was it already a dealer-installed package already, but many other cars (most GM models) are also wireless internet capable, you just stick in your own computer and printer.  

footoflead

Quote? 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
:D

Stop bein a party pooper... :D  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Catman

Iffys sort of right.  Not that big a deal.  I'm working with a supplier right now on a  mount for the CVPI.  He makes stuff to fit F and E series too.  The tray can be made to fit just about any laptop, etc.  Though, if Ford can do the computer, mount, printer and GPS for $3K, that isn't that bad.  It really depends on the machine they're giving you.

TBR

Yeah, my bet is that it has some pretty crappy specs.

280Z Turbo

QuoteGreat...they just lumped my two favorite kind of drivers together in one vehicle.

Who would that be?
Arrogant truck drivin' morons and distracted cell phone talkin' morons, of course.

giant_mtb

Raza

Who would that be?
Pick up truck drivers and drivers who use too many electronic devices while driving.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SaltyDog

Who would that be?
Pick up truck drivers and drivers

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

thewizard16

I agree with the people who find this unimpressive. With some online stores there are things you can buy that let you do most of that yourself. Whoop-de-do.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

Who would that be?
Arrogant truck drivin' morons and distracted cell phone talkin' morons, of course.
Yeah, that.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

I can see my dad with something like that in his car :rolleyes:  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Submariner

Who would that be?
People who dont give a damn about the road while getting their e-mail or printing out another useless document?  :rolleyes:  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

TBR

Actually, on a positive note, this most likely won't work while the truck is moving, Ford has an ass to cover and having a fully functional computer available to drivers would be a huge liability.

SaltyDog

Who would that be?
People who dont give a damn about the road while getting their e-mail or printing out another useless document?  :rolleyes:
Like truck drivers are the only people who suck at driving?  People who drive all kinds of cars suck at it.  Infact, I've noticed that truck drivers usually are more careful and drive slower.  Especially old people.  Not the 25 year olds who have massive Dodge Rams, but the old guys who have '85 F-150s and Nissan Pickups.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

Secret Chimp

Who would that be?
Like truck drivers are the only people who suck at driving?  People who drive all kinds of cars suck at it.  Infact, I've noticed that truck drivers usually are more careful and drive slower.  Especially old people.  Not the 25 year olds who have massive Dodge Rams, but the old guys who have '85 F-150s and Nissan Pickups.
Women driving diesel pickups seem to be the worst. Or girls with Jeeps. yeesh.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

giant_mtb

The majority of bad drivers do seem to be SUV/truck drivers.  Sure, bad drivers drive cars, too.  But SUV's give you a sense of "confidence" when you drive them.  Most likely because of the elevated driving position and just the largeness, which gives you that "king of the road" feeling...so they drive like assholes.  But hey, we gotta deal with 'em.

TBR

There are just as meaning bad drivers in sedans imho, they just aren't as easy to notice.

Raza

Who would that be?
I don't know where you drive, but here, where I live, there are so many pickup truck drivers that tailgate, don't signal ever, and speed excessively, especially in neighborhoods and school zones (which even I abstain from).  Pickup truck drivers, stereotypically, are the worst.  Even worse than SUV drivers.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SaltyDog

Who would that be?
I don't know where you drive, but here, where I live, there are so many BMW drivers that tailgate, don't signal ever, and speed excessively, especially in neighborhoods and school zones (which even I abstain from).  BMW drivers, stereotypically, are the worst.  Even worse than SUV drivers.

That fits a little better imo.  I honestly haven't noticed that about pickup truck drivers.  Maybe the not signaling part, but usually in my experience they drive a bit slower and calmer.  Tailgating seems to be worst in old Honda and Nissan econocars for some reason

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

Raza

I haven't had any problems with BMW drivers that aren't women.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

QuoteI haven't had any problems with  drivers that aren't women.
there thats more like it  :P  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Fire It Up

From what I've noticed, truck drivers are generally good drivers, SUV's drivers have cell phones that must be attached to their heads, BMW drivers are good drivers, teen SUV drivers have no control of the gas or brake, other teens drive like theyre about to be killed, and old people go slow and use up two lanes.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

thewizard16

Most of the people who piss me off while driving here are truck/SUV drivers. They're either middle aged men who tend to drive like arrogant jerks, or women in their Yukon XLs that don't seem to realize their vehicle extends beyond the driver seat. Sure there are bad drivers in every type of vehicle, but the majority of annoyances I've had have definitely been with truck/SUV drivers.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.