C7 Corvette

Started by Cookie Monster, December 29, 2012, 11:09:40 PM

S204STi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 28, 2013, 10:19:30 PM
Oh, just set up your setting for that. Yeah.

Technically, you're right: that is the fastest way to get around the track.

But, you don't get testing time at a HPDE day. Although it could be done, I've never actually seen somebody bring in a couple speare sets of tires and the equipment to dial in their stock suspensions with, and I don't think they'd really get the time to do so anyways. You'll see guys with the white shoe polish trick, you'll even see guys with instant read thermometers jiggering their tire pressures. But in the end, track days are more about the driving experience than the best time.

Most guys doing these have little real track experience (pro racers don't do track days: hell, most amateur wheel to wheel racers don't either), and most wouldn't know when their car is properly set up for that corner or not even if they were able to do it.

Sure, I get that.  I just find the innane mockery of the idea of adjusting the suspension at all to be puzzling...

r0tor

Quote from: S204STi on September 28, 2013, 11:00:26 PM
Sure, I get that.  I just find the innane mockery of the idea of adjusting the suspension at all to be puzzling...

Im mocking it because you are so excited by information that would be
A) not used by the average owner
B) could be gotten from any forum, primarily because....
C) the setting that even the clueless people would start at anyawy
D) anyone this serious about racing would be using modified arms or bushings to increase the adjustability range and then find. their perferred setting.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on September 29, 2013, 08:45:03 AM

Manufacturer recommended tire pressure isn't used by the average owner, what's you're fucking point?

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on September 29, 2013, 08:45:03 AM
B) could be gotten from any forum, primarily because....
C) the setting that even the clueless people would start at anyawy
D) anyone this serious about racing would be using modified arms or bushings to increase the adjustability range and then find. their perferred setting.

You're butt hurt by the strangest things...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

S204STi

Yeah, still not getting the rage about providing suggested settings...

Soup DeVille

If you take it that it wouldn't be unusual for a guy to have a set of track day tires (and its not), havign the suspension re-aligned for track day as well would only be another $100 or so; and a guy that can afford to track a brand new Z51 can probably afford that a couple of times a year.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: S204STi on September 29, 2013, 04:06:36 PM
Yeah, still not getting the rage about providing suggested settings...
:hesaid:
Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 29, 2013, 05:14:00 PM
If you take it that it wouldn't be unusual for a guy to have a set of track day tires (and its not), havign the suspension re-aligned for track day as well would only be another $100 or so; and a guy that can afford to track a brand new Z51 can probably afford that a couple of times a year.
:high5:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Gotta-Qik-C7

Raza

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on October 11, 2013, 12:00:26 AM
First recorded street race?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBGX1xTQfCQ&feature=player_embedded#at=143

Oh, of the C7.  Not ever.  I was expecting Model T vs. Model T.

Can the auto-rev-match be turned off?  Stupid feature.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Auto rev match is toggled on and off via the faux shift paddles on the steering wheel.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Onslaught

I've seen two of these things. I'm not liking the back end in person at all. That black plastic shit around the tail lamps must go. The front bumper emblem is HUGE. It looks way out of place on the car. The interior is 8 million times better then any Vet before. If they would tone down the American redneck on it just a little it be a good looking car.

What is American's fascination with chrome? Are we all crow and like shiny things?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Onslaught on October 11, 2013, 07:20:34 AM
I've seen two of these things. I'm not liking the back end in person at all. That black plastic shit around the tail lamps must go. The front bumper emblem is HUGE. It looks way out of place on the car. The interior is 8 million times better then any Vet before. If they would tone down the American redneck on it just a little it be a good looking car.

What is American's fascination with chrome? Are we all crow and like shiny things?

USA #1 :neverforget:

12,000 RPM

Are you some kind of Muslim???? What do you mean "tone down the American redneck"???

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT666

GM is still doing chrome wheels? 

MrH

GM:  Confusing chrome with good design since forever.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MrH on October 11, 2013, 08:55:30 AM
GM:  Confusing chrome with good design since forever.

I remember when they added some metallized rings around the gauges and vents on the G6 and thought it fixed a horribly shitty interior.

280Z Turbo

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 11, 2013, 10:26:58 AM
Afraid so.
Son of a bitch.  Chrome wheels stopped being cool before they were cool.

Lebowski

There's a certain age bracket that will always opt for chrome wheels on a car like the corvette.  It isn't for me though and never has been.

MX793

There are a few cars on which chrome/polished wheels look good.  None of them are sports/performance cars.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FlatBlackCaddy

Some people will never be satisfied.

"tone down the American redneck"

They have been rolling in ferrari esque design cues since the C6, this last one(C7) can't get much more no "american redneck" short of slapping a different badge on it.

Byteme

Quote from: Lebowski on October 11, 2013, 10:56:13 AM
There's a certain age bracket that will always opt for chrome wheels on a car like the corvette.  It isn't for me though and never has been.

Chrome 19" wheels were a deal breaker on a used XK8 I was considering.  I didn't want the chrome or the 19."  The lady selling the car had it priced at a premium because of the wheels; she loved them.

Byteme

Quote from: MX793 on October 11, 2013, 10:57:43 AM
There are a few cars on which chrome/polished wheels look good.  None of them are sports/performance cars.

The stock factory chromed steel wheels look kind of nice on our 97 F150.   On anything resembling a sporty or otherwise nice car they just look cheap.   

MX793

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 11, 2013, 04:05:23 PM
The stock factory chromed steel wheels look kind of nice on our 97 F150.   On anything resembling a sporty or otherwise nice car they just look cheap.   

I think that Bentleys, Rollers, Chrysler 300s, and some trucks/SUVs can pull off the chrome/polished wheels look if the size of the wheels is kept reasonable.
Needs more Jiggawatts

SVT666

Chevrolet designed its all-new 2014 Corvette Stingray to take on the world's best supercars in terms of overall performance, but the 'Vette is also rivaling the competition in one other unexpected regard – waiting times.

Lamborghini and Ferrari buyers are accustomed to waiting several months to take delivery of their shiny new sports car, but Corvette customers have historically been able to visit the dealership and take home their new ride in the same day. That's no longer the case as demand for the Corvette's optional Z51 track pack has orders backed up for an entire year.

According to GM Authority, dealers are now informing customers ordering the Corvette Stingray Z51 that they will have to wait around 12 months to take delivery of their sports car. In fact, orders are being placed for the 2015 model year instead of the current 2014 model.

Those long wait times stemmed from an elevated interest in the Z51 model. Right now about 75 percent of Corvette buyers are going for the optional package, but that figures should drop significantly once enthusiasts have their fill.

Buyers of the standard Corvette won't have to wait quite as long, but there is also a backlog for that car. GM reportedly has enough orders for the regular Corvette Stingray to keep the car in short supply through the early part of 2014.

FlatBlackCaddy

Hmm, a few dealerships around me list having Z51 equipped stingrays in stock. Might be "special order" waiting lists or something. I'm guessing corvette sales are pretty static, with a large percentage of repeat buyers being pretty standard at the release of a new model.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Lots of guys on the Vette forums have taken delivery of Z51 C7s! From what I've read Z51 models with the optional exposed Carbon Fiber roof panels have been held up for quality issues for a while!

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm really starting to like the way these look(still not 100% sold on the back).

Really, Really wanting to buy one of these. Just don't know if it would be a very big jump over a C6 Z06 on a track, performance wise.  I was counting on the C7 release to drop C6 prices down further and maybe cause me to revisit a vette purchase.

This thing(front 3/4) sure as hell LOOKS a ton better than a C6.

68_427

If you're looking for a track toy, go with the C6 Z06 for sure.  Dat LS7.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 16, 2013, 05:48:14 PM
I'm really starting to like the way these look(still not 100% sold on the back).

Really, Really wanting to buy one of these. Just don't know if it would be a very big jump over a C6 Z06 on a track, performance wise. I was counting on the C7 release to drop C6 prices down further and maybe cause me to revisit a vette purchase.

This thing(front 3/4) sure as hell LOOKS a ton better than a C6.
Same here! I just can't spend that kind of money on a C7 rite now! I priced one optioned the way I want it (Z51,2LT,clear roof,Dual Mode exhaust,navi,MRC) and the monthly note would have been close to $900 a month! I've been watching C6 prices (2008s are still in the low-mid 30s depending on mileage!) and they haven't budged yet. Hopefully by spring we'll see a downturn in prices!