Info: 06 RAV4 US-Spec

Started by ifcar, November 02, 2005, 04:09:38 AM

ifcar

RAV4 Stretches Out and Bulks Up

Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. has released market-specific details of the upcoming all-new-for '06 RAV4. While the new RAV4 saw its global debut at the Frankfurt auto show in September, the North American version will be significantly different, with a wheelbase about four inches longer than the European-market version, and with available V-6 power. Also notable: while the sleek, Euro-spec RAV first shown at Frankfurt eschewed the big rear tailgate-mounted spare in favor of run flats, the U.S. model keeps the big spare in back, along with standard tires. Overall, the new RAV is 14.5 inches longer and 3.2 inches wider than the current U.S. version, with a wheelbase 6.7 inches longer. With that in mind, it's no surprise that interior space is greatly improved - Toyota boasts an improvement of more than 20 percent. Two small third-row seats are now optional as well. Side airbags are available for all models.

A 166-hp, 2.4-liter four is standard, while the newly optional 3.5-liter V-6 is a version of the engine used on the Avalon, with dual VVT-i (variable timing for intake and exhaust) and an impressive 269 hp and 246 lb-ft. V-6 models get a new five-speed automatic transmission, while four-cylinders have a four-speed auto. With the V-6, the RAV4 will be able to make the 0-60 dash in less than seven seconds. As before, the RAV4 will be available in both front- and four-wheel-drive versions, though a part-time on-demand 4WD system replaces the former full-time viscous-clutch all-wheel-drive system. Despite weight gains, look for fuel economy among the best in its class, ranging from 20/27 for the all-wheel-drive V-6 to 24/31 for the front-wheel-drive four-cylinder - up one mpg on the highway compared with the '05 model - and regular unleaded is fine for both engines.

Production will begin later this month in Japan, while the new Woodstock, Ontario, plant currently in the works will supply North America beginning in 2008. The four-cylinder model will go on sale in December, while V-6 RAV4s will reach dealerships by late January.

Pictured with the lovely tailgate-mounted spare tire:

J86

If people actually like small cars or SUVs they are prett ymcuh getting screwed...

Raza

QuoteIf people actually like small cars or SUVs they are prett ymcuh getting screwed...
Of course.  Small cars are 10 years away from disappearing completely from America's shores.  Look at how entry level luxury cars have increased in size, weight, and "technology".  So much complaining about the last model Lexus IS being too small has resulted in the new one being too big.  That's what I loved about the last car...it was small, packed with classy, aggressive styling and loads of fun.  The new one is bloated, bulbous, and has too much electronic interference--a trend, I fear, is soon to grasp all cars.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

The Corvette got smaller. Tragically, that is the only example I can think of that shrunk.  

SaltyDog

Pictured with the lovely tailgate-mounted spare tire:
Everyone knows that makes it a true offroader :lol:  :rolleyes:

This sucker is gonna be fast.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

ifcar

QuoteIf people actually like small cars or SUVs they are prett ymcuh getting screwed...
I believe this was enlarged so the FJ Cruiser could slot beneath it in size and price, not sure though.  

MX793

270 hp Rav4?  :o   Even being bigger and heavier than the current car, that thing will wind up being pretty darn quick with that much engine under the hood.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

C/D got a 0-60 of 6.0 seconds in the Avalon with that engine, it will be a rocket in the RAV.

TBR

I believe this was enlarged so the FJ Cruiser could slot beneath it in size and price, not sure though.
I am not too sure there was much reasoning behind it at all. The FJ will be a two door truck based vehicle, I don't think many people would seriously consider both it and the Rav4. Yes, it is bigger and faster than the old one, but now what is the point of the Highlander?

However, I do agree that it should be a rocket. And, remember, this should weigh about the same or slightly more than the Avalon while having 12 more hp.

TBR

Of course.  Small cars are 10 years away from disappearing completely from America's shores.  Look at how entry level luxury cars have increased in size, weight, and "technology".  So much complaining about the last model Lexus IS being too small has resulted in the new one being too big.  That's what I loved about the last car...it was small, packed with classy, aggressive styling and loads of fun.  The new one is bloated, bulbous, and has too much electronic interference--a trend, I fear, is soon to grasp all cars.
Like to note that despite the IS's increase in size the rear seat is still the worst in class/  

ifcar

Like to note that despite the IS's increase in size the rear seat is still the worst in class/
Most definitely not. I wouldn't even call the previous IS's rear seat the worst in its class.

TBR

ifcar

I am not too sure there was much reasoning behind it at all. The FJ will be a two door truck based vehicle, I don't think many people would seriously consider both it and the Rav4. Yes, it is bigger and faster than the old one, but now what is the point of the Highlander?

However, I do agree that it should be a rocket. And, remember, this should weigh about the same or slightly more than the Avalon while having 12 more hp.
I was under the impression that the FJ was a 4-door in the Element mold, not a 2-door. <_<

And the next Highlander is expected to be larger and more crossover-like, letting the RAV take over the more traditional slot at a similar size. And the base model will no doubt sell at higher volumes than the base 4-cyl Highlander did.

And the engine is the exact same as in the Avalon, don't know what spec you're seeing.

ifcar

QuoteThat's what C/D said.
Did they say class, or the worst in their 7-car comparison?

TBR

The FJ will have clamshell rear doors, but most traditional SUV buyers (the ones  looking at Rav4s, the people that actually use their vehicles offroad don't care as much) prefer 4 real doors (remember the Bronco? It didn't have decent sales numbers even when the suv market was starting to boom and only a few other suvs were on the market).

I don't want to see the Highlander get any bigger and current owners most likely feel the same way. Also, the 3rd gen Rav4 isn't exactly styled like at traditional suv (no more so than the Murano, which it balantly ripped off in many areas).

TBR

Worst in the comparo, which included pretty much all of the vehicles that compete directly with the IS. Yes, you could get a S40 T5 into IS250 territory, but I still don't think the two directly compete.

ifcar

Worst in the comparo, which included pretty much all of the vehicles that compete directly with the IS. Yes, you could get a S40 T5 into IS250 territory, but I still don't think the two directly compete.
Not just premium compacts like the S40 have less space/comfort, I'm inclined to throw in the C-Class behind it in both space and comfort, and I prefer the seat's shape to the S60's or 9-3's, even though it has less space.  

ifcar

QuoteThe FJ will have clamshell rear doors, but most traditional SUV buyers (the ones  looking at Rav4s, the people that actually use their vehicles offroad don't care as much) prefer 4 real doors (remember the Bronco? It didn't have decent sales numbers even when the suv market was starting to boom and only a few other suvs were on the market).

I don't want to see the Highlander get any bigger and current owners most likely feel the same way. Also, the 3rd gen Rav4 isn't exactly styled like at traditional suv (no more so than the Murano, which it balantly ripped off in many areas).
The Element's done fine with 2 real doors and 2 half-doors, the FJ should as well. And I wouldn't be surprised to see another small SUV appear, maybe the next Matrix will absorb more of the RAV4's previous customers.

And I believe the Highlander plan is essentially a sporty-looking take on a Freestyle, which is much less of a traditional-looking SUV than the RAV4, which is a rather standard look with some extra curves and a Matrix/Vibe windowline.  

And the RAV4 is now the size of the current Highlander, and has a third-row seat. It's a redesigned Highlander in all but name.  

ifcar

thewizard16

There's a lot of obvious current Rav-4 influence in it's stylings, but I don't care for the rear portion of the vehicle much. Front looks pretty nice, but the rear looks goofy. I'll want to see how it looks in person, of course, that's just my opinion from the pictures.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.