The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on April 08, 2013, 10:37:53 PM
Lots and lots and lots of Internetism regarding G37 AT issues like I describe (general lack of response). I don't call my car a problem per se just that it is noticeably muted in its response. It's why I drive in manual mode at least 50% of the time.

I do find mine is better behaved in "S" mode.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

SVT666

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 11, 2013, 06:22:23 PM
I do find mine is better behaved in "S" mode.
Yup. But it won't shift up past 5th in S unless you do it manually.

GoCougs

I don't have a "S" mode. I only have "D" and "DS." DS is drive sport, which does things like holds gears longer, shifts are harder, etc. I find it almost worthless as it is not consistent - sometimes it will rev match on downshifts and sometimes not. Sometimes it will hold a gear at higher RPM sometimes not. I gave it a go but never use it now.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 11, 2013, 07:47:33 PM
I don't have a "S" mode. I only have "D" and "DS." DS is drive sport, which does things like holds gears longer, shifts are harder, etc. I find it almost worthless as it is not consistent - sometimes it will rev match on downshifts and sometimes not. Sometimes it will hold a gear at higher RPM sometimes not. I gave it a go but never use it now.
That's what we're talking about.

GoCougs

Hmmm, so not counting the numerous squeaks and rattles (that I myself fixed and the dealer couldn't), other issues have surfaced. Luckily I'm still well within the warranty period but still...

1.) Right rear door lock went fubar and had to be replaced at the last visit.
2.) Compass on rear view mirror is not working (stuck on "S" today).
3.) Right rear window lost "auto up" functionality.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 18, 2013, 11:54:54 PM
Hmmm, so not counting the numerous squeaks and rattles (that I myself fixed and the dealer couldn't), other issues have surfaced. Luckily I'm still well within the warranty period but still...

1.) Right rear door lock went fubar and had to be replaced at the last visit.
2.) Compass on rear view mirror is not working (stuck on "S" today).
3.) Right rear window lost "auto up" functionality.
A few days after we bought our car only one window had "auto up"  working and that was the rear left.   Two weeks later the rest started working again and there hasn't been an issue since.  It's the weirdest thing.

GoCougs

I fixed the windshield popping/creaking noise per this thread on MyG37. It's a bit of PITA and if/when the windshield needs to be replaced it'll have to be done again. Poor design by Infiniti, and not only because this fix-it post is a sticky on the most popular G forum around ;).

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 19, 2013, 10:53:07 AM
I fixed the windshield popping/creaking noise per this thread on MyG37. It's a bit of PITA and if/when the windshield needs to be replaced it'll have to be done again. Poor design by Infiniti, and not only because this fix-it post is a sticky on the most popular G forum around ;).
Right now mine is fine, but I hope it doesn't start after I get my windshield replaced.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on April 19, 2013, 12:02:11 AM
A few days after we bought our car only one window had "auto up"  working and that was the rear left.   Two weeks later the rest started working again and there hasn't been an issue since.  It's the weirdest thing.

Sounds like a Mercedes.  First thing is the window switches.  Then it's catastrophic engine failure. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

afty

GoCougs

SVT666

Quote from: afty on April 20, 2013, 02:50:01 PM
There's a reset procedure you can do if auto up stops working:
http://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-coupe/234324-windows-will-not-automatically-roll-up.html
I must have accidentally reset it because mine starting working again without me doing anything specific. :lol:

GoCougs

Summation of the noise jihad I've been on - it's now complete as far as I can tell. I sorta forgot the new wheels - 18" and hard-as-rocks Dunlops no doubt contributed to problems:

1.) Windshield cowl pop/creak - added rubber tape to cowl per above link
2.) Shifter plate squeak - lubed snap connectors with Li grease
3.) A-pillar speaker rattle - simply removed/installed many times (loosened up push connectors)
4.) Glove box rattle - added foam tape to the door such that it preloads against the latch
5.) Overhead sun glass holder - same as glove box fix plus added foam tape to cover up plastic inside (sun glasses would rattle against it)
6.) Cup holder door squeak - lubed with Li grease
7.) Headliner creaking (turns out it's held in with Velcro, which will age) - simply decoupled a portion of the headliner and inserted paper towels between Velcro joints (made it better but still there a bit as I have to leave some Velcro intact).
8.) License plate and frame - secured with outdoor double-sided tape.
9.) Misc. rattle from center console - turns out there is a loosely installed wedge thingy in the rear of the cup holder compartment - not sure what it does but it's now gone.

CALL_911

Wow, well done. Guess that's a benefit of unemployment. :lol:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 22, 2013, 10:18:13 PM
Wow, well done. Guess that's a benefit of unemployment. :lol:

Actually, the only (and last) thing I did today (my first day of unemployment) was the glove box. There many hours in that list above (esp. figuring out what the problems were). Many hours.

Laconian

Car's washed and waxed. Yowza yowza, it looks fantastic. Need to get the 19"ers back on tho.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

afty

Quote from: GoCougs on April 22, 2013, 02:37:59 PM
Perfect - that worked! Thanks.
No problem.  I had the same issue after I replaced my battery. 

GoCougs

Quote from: GoCougs on April 22, 2013, 10:10:45 PM
Summation of the noise jihad I've been on - it's now complete as far as I can tell. I sorta forgot the new wheels - 18" and hard-as-rocks Dunlops no doubt contributed to problems:

1.) Windshield cowl pop/creak - added rubber tape to cowl per above link
2.) Shifter plate squeak - lubed snap connectors with Li grease
3.) A-pillar speaker rattle - simply removed/installed many times (loosened up push connectors)
4.) Glove box rattle - added foam tape to the door such that it preloads against the latch
5.) Overhead sun glass holder - same as glove box fix plus added foam tape to cover up plastic inside (sun glasses would rattle against it)
6.) Cup holder door squeak - lubed with Li grease
7.) Headliner creaking (turns out it's held in with Velcro, which will age) - simply decoupled a portion of the headliner and inserted paper towels between Velcro joints (made it better but still there a bit as I have to leave some Velcro intact).
8.) License plate and frame - secured with outdoor double-sided tape.
9.) Misc. rattle from center console - turns out there is a loosely installed wedge thingy in the rear of the cup holder compartment - not sure what it does but it's now gone.

Forgot one:

10.) Rattling cover plates behind interior door handles - removed and used double sided tape to resecure (had to do this to the Accord too).

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 23, 2013, 12:10:24 AM
Forgot one:

10.) Rattling cover plates behind interior door handles - removed and used double sided tape to resecure (had to do this to the Accord too).
Your car would drive me nuts.  I'm glad I'm not having any of those problems.

GoCougs

For those guys with sedans I took off my Tanabe axle back and am going to sell it. Just too much bling for me plus a bit of a PITA to keep clean. Check out YouTube vids - sounds great - maybe 10% more sound than stock and zero droning.

Cookie Monster

Why sell it? Didn't you drop like $700 on it? You'll get nothing back for it. Who cares what it looks like and just enjoy it.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

IIRC it was at least $600. It's top notch stuff - fit & finish and installation. I just don't like the looks of it plus it's a lot of work to keep clean. I also actually gained a bit of part throttle response by going back to stock (wee bit more back pressure).

SVT666

It's used,  so $150.

GoCougs

SVT666

Cookie Monster

I still can't believe you dropped over $600 on a muffler, dude...
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on April 23, 2013, 07:59:40 PM
It is.

Okay, sold. Let me clean 'em up first before we go further - I'm want to make sure that the highly polished surface will clean up okay.

You also might want to check that you're okay with shipping charges - via UPS I'm getting ~$70/box (there will be two).

Just so you know, it's all bolt together for G sedan axle back - nuts/bolts are all the same size and it takes but ~10 minutes a side. Really slick install.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

Quote from: thecarnut on April 23, 2013, 08:13:35 PM
I still can't believe you dropped over $600 on a muffler, dude...

Well, it's two mufflers plus connecting pipe and welded-on hangers ;). It was pricey but all the Internet searches said Tanabe had the best quality, the easiest install (i.e., 100% drop-in replacement for stock) and just so happened to have the exactly sound I was looking for. I'm sure half the cost was in the highly polished stainless steel construction, which if given a choice I'd have gone without.

SVT666

$140 for shipping?  Fuck me.  How much is the shipping if you ship them to 98844? That's just across the border from me.