The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

12,000 RPM

Weird that you guys hold the brake until you pull the handbrake. I find sometimes that that puts weird tension on the drivetrain. I put the car in park, let go of the foot brake, THEN do the handbrake. Otherwise sometimes you get a weird thing where when you release the handbrake the car sinks.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

Quote from: thecarnut on June 04, 2013, 11:01:59 AM
Use hand brake before releasing foot brake to prevent lurching and transmission wear.

Yes, the transmission wears out very quickly when nothing is moving.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CJ

Quote from: thecarnut on June 04, 2013, 11:52:06 AM
The problem here is that you guys own automatics.

The problem here is that you're being a typical manual-loving douche.

OMFGMANUALSOGOODAUTOTRAGICFTLOMGWTF

Cookie Monster

Quote from: CJ on June 04, 2013, 03:15:13 PM

The problem here is that you're being a typical manual-loving douche.

OMFGMANUALSOGOODAUTOTRAGICFTLOMGWTF

Cool story, breh.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

93JC

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 04, 2013, 01:18:12 PM
Weird that you guys hold the brake until you pull the handbrake. I find sometimes that that puts weird tension on the drivetrain. I put the car in park, let go of the foot brake, THEN do the handbrake. Otherwise sometimes you get a weird thing where when you release the handbrake the car sinks.

O_o

If you apply the handbrake after you put the transmission in park you're leaving it resting against the pawl. That's probably the "weird thing" you're experiencing when you shift out of park afterward...

For what it's worth I keep my foot on the brake pedal, shift the transmission to neutral, pull the handbrake, let my foot off the pedal, then shift to park and turn the car off.

93JC

Quote from: thecarnut on June 04, 2013, 11:52:06 AM
The problem here is that you guys own automatics.

Your mom and dad bought the car you drive. You don't own shit.

J86

You guys set the ebrake in an automatic?

Only time I ever do that is when I'm temporarily parked on a boat ramp.

93JC

Quote from: J86 on June 04, 2013, 07:38:11 PM
You guys set the ebrake in an automatic?

Yep. Just habit.

Morris Minor

Maybe my garage floor developed a slope coincident with my purchase of a G37.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  on June 04, 2013, 11:59:02 AM
They all do this.  You can see it in cars on TV and in movies.  They all move.  No surface is ever completely level.  On a completely level surface and in a car with exactly 50/50 weight distribution with the driver in it, you may not experience this.  You put your car in neutral, release the brake to make sure that you're level, and then put it in park, you may not experience this.  Go from drive or reverse to park in a car that doesn't automatically engage a handbrake, it does this.
Slight roll /= lurch 

You are confusing the two.  Never in my life have I had an automatic lurch after putting it in Park.  Roll?  Yes.  Lurch?  No.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on June 05, 2013, 12:00:40 AM
Slight roll /= lurch 

You are confusing the two.  Never in my life have I had an automatic lurch after putting it in Park.  Roll?  Yes.  Lurch?  No.

Definition of LURCH

: a sudden roll of a ship to one side
: an abrupt jerking, swaying, or tipping movement <the car moved forward with a lurch>; also : stagger 2

The G37 is kind of a boat, but I think it's definition #2 we're looking at here.  Depending on how quickly he lets off the brake it could easily be described as a lurch.  Unless we're all of a sudden talking about cribbage, a game I've played many times yet still do not understand.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

This is getting needlessly semantic
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Yeah. Pretty sure by lurch he means something that feels more along the lines of the lurch you get when you stall a stickshift...but probably fairly less severe. Not rolling. Lurching. There's no need for a dictionary if you know how to comprehend.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 05, 2013, 08:01:19 AM
Yeah. Pretty sure by lurch he means something that feels more along the lines of the lurch you get when you stall a stickshift...but probably fairly less severe. Not rolling. Lurching. There's no need for a dictionary if you know how to comprehend.

And I'm saying all automatics do this, some more violently than others depending on a lot of external factors.  Jesus fucking Christ, what the fuck is up with everyone these days?  Are you all PMSing constantly now?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  on June 05, 2013, 08:10:57 AM
And I'm saying all automatics do this, some more violently than others depending on a lot of external factors.  Jesus fucking Christ, what the fuck is up with everyone these days?  Are you all PMSing constantly now?
No. Automatics do not suddenly jerk forward when you put them in Park and let off the brake.  They gently roll a couple inches, but they don't lurch.  Oh, and fuck you Raza, I know what lurch fucking means. 

You seem to have found a way to be a dick to one of the only people you have never offended on this site.  Congratulations.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on June 05, 2013, 08:10:57 AM

Dude. You're talkin' bizarre right now. I'm not even going to try arguing more with you. :confused:

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on June 05, 2013, 08:19:45 AM
No. Automatics do not suddenly jerk forward when you put them in Park and let off the brake.  They gently roll a couple inches, but they don't lurch.  Oh, and fuck you Raza, I know what lurch fucking means. 

You seem to have found a way to be a dick to one of the only people you have never offended on this site.  Congratulations.

Look, one person is using a word to describe an action (a person from a different country as well).  This how I understand it.  He's free to come in and describe it further, but from what I'm hearing, I don't see anything out of the norm for an automatic transmission.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

Then you've driven some fucked up, lurching cars. :huh:

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 05, 2013, 09:45:00 AM
Then you've driven some fucked up, lurching cars. :huh:

All of them? 

What I think we really need is for Morris to come in and fully describe what's happening.  Because there are people on each side, some saying this is normal and some saying it's not.  If he's being thrown violently forward, then I agree, it's not normal.  But if it is what I'm thinking it is, then it is normal. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

This is almost starting to be as stupid as a hp v. torque argument.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 05, 2013, 09:51:47 AM
This is almost starting to be as stupid as a hp v. torque argument.

It all comes down to how people are interpreting a word differently, the very essence of typed miscommunication.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on June 05, 2013, 09:53:46 AM
It all comes down to how people are interpreting a word differently, the very essence of typed miscommunication.

The thing is; there's nothing even remotely common that can happen to a transmission that's going to cause a hard lurch after the engine is shut off. It's going to roll a little, even on flat pavement because there's backlash in the drivetrain between the rear brakes and the parking pawl inside the transmission

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 05, 2013, 10:40:01 AM
The thing is; there's nothing even remotely common that can happen to a transmission that's going to cause a hard lurch after the engine is shut off. It's going to roll a little, even on flat pavement because there's backlash in the drivetrain between the rear brakes and the parking pawl inside the transmission

No you're wrong it lurched forward violently!!!!!

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on June 05, 2013, 09:49:24 AM
All of them? 

What I think we really need is for Morris to come in and fully describe what's happening.  Because there are people on each side, some saying this is normal and some saying it's not.  If he's being thrown violently forward, then I agree, it's not normal.  But if it is what I'm thinking it is, then it is normal. 

Right. I just think you're having a really hard time understanding that by "lurch" he means something more violent than is obviously normal. I don't get why that's do hard for you to accept today. :confused:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 05, 2013, 10:42:05 AM
No you're wrong it lurched forward violently!!!!!

So explain to me where that energy is coming from then.

Laconian

I just reminded myself that VQ @ 7k RPM sounds great. It becomes illegal very quickly too. :cry:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on June 05, 2013, 11:30:12 AM
I just reminded myself that VQ @ 7k RPM sounds great. It becomes illegal very quickly too. :cry:

My friend's old boss has a Mooooo.  I saw him in traffic today, but he was riding his BWUBWUBWBUBWAAAAAA.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Laconian on June 05, 2013, 11:30:12 AM
Yeah.  The G is most comfortable cruising at illegal speeds though and that pisses me off.  Governments need to lift limits on Freeways.  It is so buttoned down and handling is superb at like 90 mph.  It almost feels lazy at 60-65 mph.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 05, 2013, 11:29:12 AM
So explain to me where that energy is coming from then.

Electric motor on the output shaft.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on June 05, 2013, 11:49:24 AM
Yeah.  The G is most comfortable cruising at illegal speeds though and that pisses me off.  Governments need to lift limits on Freeways.  It is so buttoned down and handling is superb at like 90 mph.  It almost feels lazy at 60-65 mph.

Most new cars are. 55 is like standing still.