The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 19, 2013, 09:33:22 PM
Cougs said F30.

Times for an E90 328i seem to be a second slower than a G37 (low 6's vs. low 5's). Anything around 6 seconds is quick enough to keep up on public streets. It's not like a Ferrari vs. a Prius.
You're right, I missed that he said it was an F30.  I call shens on the whole thing.

GoCougs

Ha, ha! Like a bunch of old bitties!

12,000 RPM

Anyone can beat anyone in any car if the person in the faster car is a bad enough driver. I remember long ago I was with my friend in his 2002 Altima V6 4AT while he was trolling the highway looking for a race (we were ~22 at the time). He ran up on an NSX and beat the NSX about 3 times. NSXs are low 13 second cars, dude's Altima was at best a low 14 second car. Winning a street race between 2 cars close in performance is completely a driver's race and more of a reflection of who is crazier.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 20, 2013, 10:57:39 AM
Anyone can beat anyone in any car if the person in the faster car is a bad enough driver. I remember long ago I was with my friend in his 2002 Altima V6 4AT while he was trolling the highway looking for a race (we were ~22 at the time). He ran up on an NSX and beat the NSX about 3 times. NSXs are low 13 second cars, dude's Altima was at best a low 14 second car. Winning a street race between 2 cars close in performance is completely a driver's race and more of a reflection of who is crazier.

The first iteration of the NSX ('91-'94) was a 270 hp ~14.0 second car with the 5MT (slower with the A/T), so if that was such an NSX, yeah, makes sense a V6 Altima could hang with it considering that the NSX's mid-engine launch advantage would be a non issue from a roll, doubly so if the NSX was an A/T.

12,000 RPM

It was mid 13s... A/T Altima was mid 14s. Plus at the speeds we were at, NSX had the aero & power advantage, even with the 4AT. Not sure how thats "able to hang" when the F30 328i is closer to the G37 and not in the same league according to you.

More importantly though, street racing is bad, mmmkay?

MexicoCityM3

Up here at 7,000 ft above sea level an F30 328i easily matches the G. In Seattle at sea level the G is definitely faster but like all have said it's not "way behind" unless you got above 100mph.

I won't give Cougs any shit about street racing. I've done it a thousand times so who am I to criticize. Most recently against a punk in a 3.6 Passat. I just love the stealthiness of the E90. 95% of idiots think its a 325i. And boom.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MexicoCityM3

Up here at 7,000 ft above sea level an F30 328i easily matches the G. In Seattle at sea level the G is definitely faster but like all have said the 328i turbo is not "way behind" unless you got above 100mph.

I won't give Cougs any shit about street racing. I've done it a thousand times so who am I to criticize. Most recently against a punk in a 3.6 Passat. I just love the stealthiness of the E90. 95% of idiots think its a 325i. And boom.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Up here at 7,000 ft above sea level an F30 328i easily matches the G. In Seattle at sea level the G is definitely faster but like all have said the 328i turbo is not "way behind" unless you got above 100mph.

I won't give Cougs any shit about street racing. I've done it a thousand times so who am I to criticize. Most recently against a punk in a 3.6 Passat. I just love the stealthiness of the E90. 95% of idiots think its a 325i with rimz.

And boom.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

I won't give Cougs any shit about street racing. I've done it a thousand times so who am I to criticize. Most recently against a punk in a 3.6 Passat. I just love the stealthiness of the E90. 95% of idiots think its a 325i with rimz.

And boom.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Shit. Tapatalk multiple posts. Sorry.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

GoCougs

Wow, MultipostSPIN ;).

F/I advantage increases with elevation, and at 7,000 ft, it becomes substantial - I wouldn't be surprised if an A4 2.0T or GTI outgunned a G37 at those elevations.

It wasn't even "racing" really. We were all following each other on a back country road. It was definitely an F30 but could have been the new 320i.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 20, 2013, 04:26:24 PM
It was mid 13s... A/T Altima was mid 14s. Plus at the speeds we were at, NSX had the aero & power advantage, even with the 4AT. Not sure how thats "able to hang" when the F30 328i is closer to the G37 and not in the same league according to you.

More importantly though, street racing is bad, mmmkay?

It was your assertion that the Altima was hanging with the NSX, I merely connected dots on how that was quite possible.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on July 20, 2013, 05:31:29 PM
It was your assertion that the Altima was hanging with the NSX, I merely connected dots on how that was quite possible.
It was because my friend was effing nuts. In an impromptu street run the guy with the intent has the upper hand. Plus if you practice street runs you will be better than folks who you catch off guard. I would bet you could beat someone with you behind the wheel of an F30 328 and them behind the wheel of a G37. Its all about the nut behind the wheel on the street. Even at the drag strip someone who doesn't know how to launch is lunch.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on July 20, 2013, 05:26:15 PM
Wow, MultipostSPIN ;).

F/I advantage increases with elevation, and at 7,000 ft, it becomes substantial - I wouldn't be surprised if an A4 2.0T or GTI outgunned a G37 at those elevations.

It wasn't even "racing" really. We were all following each other on a back country road. It was definitely an F30 but could have been the new 320i.
Too late to backpedal now.

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 20, 2013, 10:57:39 AM
:rolleyes: In cars with automatics, driver means nothing in a rolling start drag race.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 20, 2013, 11:08:30 PM
It was because my friend was effing nuts. In an impromptu street run the guy with the intent has the upper hand. Plus if you practice street runs you will be better than folks who you catch off guard. I would bet you could beat someone with you behind the wheel of an F30 328 and them behind the wheel of a G37. Its all about the nut behind the wheel on the street. Even at the drag strip someone who doesn't know how to launch is lunch.

You issued a challenge and ... I accepted ;). Just because it didn't turn out as you intended doesn't change the situation.

afty

This is a little odd:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/19/infiniti-g37-to-live-on-in-showrooms-alongside-2014-q50/

QuoteInfiniti is preparing to roll out its hotly anticipated 2014 Q50, a car that not only ushers in a new alphanumeric naming strategy, it ostensibly replaces the G37 as the brand's bread-and-butter sport sedan. That will happen, but not in the short-term, as the G37 will continue to be manufactured and sold alongside the Q50, at least for the rest of this year.

Infiniti spokesman Kyle Bazemore has confirmed to Autoblog that a decision is pending on how long to extend the G37 sedan's production run. "We're taking Q50 up a little bit, and that allows us to keep the G Sedan in the lineup... It [Q50] certainly started as a replacement, but it ended up being much more than that." Confusingly, Infiniti has already announced that the Q50 is to start at $37,605 (including $905 destination charge), yet the 2013 G37 is more expensive, starting at $38,255 delivered according to Infiniti's consumer website. Thus, a price drop on the G37 is likely coming in short order.

So why hold on to the older model? With the Q50 launching exclusively with V6 and Hybrid models (a turbo four and diesel are said to be in the cards down the road), Infiniti evidently feels it is risking leaving lower-end sales on the table. "There's a lot of movement with the [BMW] 320i and such, and this allows us a two-tier strategy to compete," says Bazemore. Keeping the G37 on tap at a lower price for fleet sale duty may also serve to protect the Q50 as it establishes itself on the market.

For the moment, Infiniti is still determining whether to continue G37 sedan production beyond the 2013 model year, and some of that may depend on the arrival time of its new entry-level front-wheel drive model, expected to be dubbed Q30. A decision is likely to be made over the next few weeks. Adding to the confusion, the existing G37 Coupe and Convertible will be immediately rebranded as the 2014 Q60 Coupe and Convertible, even though they won't be based on the new Q50.

GoCougs

FINALLY a road test of the Q50 from Edmunds. It's pretty much as I expected - the car might be a bit more upscale and bigger but it doesn't advance the performance of the marque (if Edmunds of all places recognizes a goody tradeoff between ride and handling, there be issues somewhere). What a waste to go through all that effort. The interior sounds lousy with the dual touch screens. Shame, I'm seeing a "New Coke" moment for Infiniti.

CALL_911

For most of the G37's buyers, this'll be a hit.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on July 22, 2013, 11:04:47 AM
FINALLY a road test of the Q50 from Edmunds. It's pretty much as I expected - the car might be a bit more upscale and bigger but it doesn't advance the performance of the marque (if Edmunds of all places recognizes a goody tradeoff between ride and handling, there be issues somewhere). What a waste to go through all that effort. The interior sounds lousy with the dual touch screens. Shame, I'm seeing a "New Coke" moment for Infiniti.
Reading that review killed any excitement I had for the car.  Sounds like it's not much better than our cars in some areas and worse in others.  I don't like the touch screen audio and climate controls (though it does have hard buttons as well), and that's really the only difference (along with the steering wheel) in the interior.  I've warmed up to the exterior but I still think our cars look better.  I'm disappointed in Nissan with this effort.  It doesn't appear to be much of an effort.

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 22, 2013, 11:07:37 AM
For most of the G37's buyers, this'll be a hit.

IMO not the current buyers - they're going after the ES350/GS350 crowd.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on July 22, 2013, 11:04:47 AM
Sounds like exactly what the market wants. You speak of performance but drive an automatic car. If this thing were duller to drive but had faster acceleration it would be perfect for you.

Performance/engagement have pretty much peaked in the "sport" sedan segment- note, many of the 3's competitors as well as the 3 itself have been revamped but kept the same engines + horsepower for the most part. From here forward it's all about cushiness and tech for tech's sake.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on July 22, 2013, 11:40:37 AM
IMO not the current buyers - they're going after the ES350/GS350 crowd.

The market speaks, m'friend. If that were true, the Q50 wouldn't have gone in this direction.

Even seeing my friends and their parents who have G37s (G37xs), most of them couldn't care less about how the thing handles. They're all amazed by the VQ's grunt and appreciate that sole attribute.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

The market hasn't spoken though; the Q50 is not released and though Infiniti has surely done market studies plenty of products don't preform as anticipated despite all sorts of research. This is a radically different car than the G37 so thus by definition Infiniti is not targeting the current G37 customer base.

The problem with Infiniti going after the ES350/GS350 crowd is it's never been known for plushness and refinement and from the sounds of it the Q50 doesn't help that reputation. Now add in the now-passe touchscreen interface (dual even!) and you have a car with a confused identity going after a non-existent market.

CALL_911

Fuck this touchscreen craze. I have a touchscreen in my car, and I really hate the thing.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

At this point touchscreens and joystick controllers (iDrive, MMI, COMAND, etc.) would likely turn me away from a car (G37 has neither), which is problematic since most all cars in the "near luxury" class and above have either/or/both. FWIW, the S4 can be outfitted without MMI though I imagine you'd have to order it that way.

CALL_911

Actually, I don't mind iDrive at all. It's the best such system I've used.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

But I doubt I'd order it if I could get away without it (a la E90).

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 22, 2013, 12:13:14 PM
Fuck this touchscreen craze. I have a touchscreen in my car, and I really hate the thing.

Your GTI has a touchscreen?  Is it in the nav?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  on July 22, 2013, 12:41:36 PM
Your GTI has a touchscreen?  Is it in the nav?

Yeah, it has an RNS-510

2004 S2000
2016 340xi