The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on July 22, 2013, 12:11:14 PM
The market hasn't spoken though; the Q50 is not released and though Infiniti has surely done market studies plenty of products don't preform as anticipated despite all sorts of research. This is a radically different car than the G37 so thus by definition Infiniti is not targeting the current G37 customer base.

The problem with Infiniti going after the ES350/GS350 crowd is it's never been known for plushness and refinement and from the sounds of it the Q50 doesn't help that reputation. Now add in the now-passe touchscreen interface (dual even!) and you have a car with a confused identity going after a non-existent market.

The old Q40/Q45 was pretty plush.  I think the old I30/I35 was on the plusher side (more ES like) as well.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 22, 2013, 12:45:10 PM
Yeah, it has an RNS-510

I had no idea GTI navigation systems were touchscreen.  Funny, I just assumed your car didn't have nav because it's a stick, and I remember how much trouble Tony had finding a 6 speed with a stick.  He had to special order it or something because they only were stocking DSGs with nav. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on July 22, 2013, 02:53:14 PM
The old Q40/Q45 was pretty plush.  I think the old I30/I35 was on the plusher side (more ES like) as well.
Yep. Infiniti was generally either plush (Infiniti I, 2nd/3rd gen Qs), lost (1st gen M) or cheap (G20, I, 2nd gen Q, QX4). They only made good on the "Japanese BMW" deals with basically 3 cars (1st gen Q, G, 3rd gen M sedan). That's like a .1 average. Going on history Infiniti doesn't have much of a narrative.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

afty

I for one have no interest whatsoever in the Q50.  It doesn't do a single thing that I care about better than the G37.  If I were Infiniti, I would be very worried that whoever they built the Q50 for (because it's certainly not current G owners) is not going to be interested either.

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on July 22, 2013, 02:53:14 PM

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 23, 2013, 06:34:08 AM
Yep. Infiniti was generally either plush (Infiniti I, 2nd/3rd gen Qs), lost (1st gen M) or cheap (G20, I, 2nd gen Q, QX4). They only made good on the "Japanese BMW" deals with basically 3 cars (1st gen Q, G, 3rd gen M sedan). That's like a .1 average. Going on history Infiniti doesn't have much of a narrative.

For quite some time (~10 years at least) the cars haven't been known to be plush and comfy. The cars they make today (esp. the FX and M) certainly aren't.

afty

Hmm.  Today after work I walked out to my G and found the battery totally dead. The doors wouldn't unlock, and it didn't turn over when I tried to start it. I noticed the Intelligent Key Warning Light flashing dimly in the instrument panel.

I got a jump start and drove home. At home, the Intelligent Key Warning Light continued to flash. I replaced the battery in my key, but it didn't make any difference. As far as I can tell, everything works fine -- I can lock/unlock the car and start it normally.

Looks like I need to make a trip to the dealership.  Not looking forward to it, but I guess it's better than getting stranded again.

hotrodalex

Might wanna check the battery cables.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: afty on July 23, 2013, 02:14:49 PM
I for one have no interest whatsoever in the Q50.  It doesn't do a single thing that I care about better than the G37.  If I were Infiniti, I would be very worried that whoever they built the Q50 for (because it's certainly not current G owners) is not going to be interested either.

I feel like most G owners are women or people who don't care about performance. Folks like you are in the minority. Then again Inifiniti destroyed the Q in a similar fashion.

Quote from: GoCougs on July 23, 2013, 03:22:50 PM
For quite some time (~10 years at least) the cars haven't been known to be plush and comfy. The cars they make today (esp. the FX and M) certainly aren't.

Point is Infiniti doesn't have a solid identity. This "Q" business only exacerbates this.

GoCougs

The G has the highest % of a male buyers for entry lux; the Infiniti brand doesn't have the snob appeal that attracts the girls from marketing that BMW 3er, Lexus IS and MB C-class (and precisely why the G25 failed).

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on July 27, 2013, 10:49:08 AM
The G has the highest % of a male buyers for entry lux; the Infiniti brand doesn't have the snob appeal that attracts the girls from marketing that BMW 3er, Lexus IS and MB C-class (and precisely why the G25 failed).
I'm sure the G37's true competitors (335i & S4, not the entry level stuff) have a primarily male customer base. And in any case, the E90 335i and current S4 are more "hardcore". Remember the G37 IPL :wtf: If not for the quality issues and price gulf it would be a no brainer.

SVT666

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on July 27, 2013, 10:49:08 AM

I always figured girls didn't go for the G because it wasn't very good looking.  Although, the first gen G35 seemed to have a lot of female drivers, just anecdotally.  Now that the G is default choice of the post college fist pumping crowd, I'd imagine it's mostly male drivers. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on July 28, 2013, 11:39:43 AM
I always figured girls didn't go for the G because it wasn't very good looking.  Although, the first gen G35 seemed to have a lot of female drivers, just anecdotally.  Now that the G is default choice of the post college fist pumping crowd, I'd imagine it's mostly male drivers. 

Lots of Gs in Seaside Heights, all with NY plates... very popular with the fist-pumpers.

FlatBlackCaddy

yo yo, whos G we taken to da club

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on July 28, 2013, 11:39:43 AM

Girls go for cars exactly as they do with shoes and purses - skipping entirely over substance to what they think will make others envious, jealous, etc., or will otherwise make them look trendy, rich, etc. (i.e., they buy a badge). Guys do this too sure, but girls are much worse. With such an undiscriminating fan base + the pyramid scheme of leasing = why ze Germans marques still have customers here despite comical durability, reliability and repair $$$ problems.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on July 28, 2013, 12:26:36 PM
Girls go for cars exactly as they do with shoes and purses - skipping entirely over substance to what they think will make others envious, jealous, etc., or will otherwise make them look trendy, rich, etc. (i.e., they buy a badge). Guys do this too sure, but girls are much worse. With such an undiscriminating fan base + the pyramid scheme of leasing = why ze Germans marques still have customers here despite comical durability, reliability and repair $$$ problems.

Any explanation to make your decision the best one.  The only thing comical here is you. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GoCougs

So, the first gen STi's notoriously poor from-a-roll performance confirmed ;).

GoCougs

Went to my idiot dealer today for an oil change and to replace yet another door lock (idiots waited till I get there to tell me the door lock didn't come in and that I should come back next week to do everything all at once). Anyway, they had the new Q50 on the lot (this one was a Q50S Hybrid). As I've read, yes, the car does look better and has much better presence in person. Sales weasel said they can't sell it until August though...

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on July 28, 2013, 01:44:18 PM
Any explanation to make your decision the best one.  The only thing comical here is you. 

Why else would girls be lining up to buy C300s and 328is as they do???

Laconian

Ugh, it's like a new Lexus IS seen through a funhouse mirror...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Surprised they didn't hide this better ;).

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on July 28, 2013, 12:26:36 PM
Do you have any actual proof of this or is this just more Cougsreality

TBR

Quote from: Laconian on July 31, 2013, 05:09:48 PM
Ugh, it's like a new Lexus IS seen through a funhouse mirror...

What? This looks so much better than the new IS and marginally better than the current G37.

SVT666

That nose looks exceptionally blunt in that picture.  Not diggin it.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on August 02, 2013, 02:13:21 PM
That nose looks exceptionally blunt in that picture.  Not diggin it.
#datoverhang

Laconian

Everything's got it these days though.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

GoCougs

She's starting to get a fair amount of gravel road miles. This particular road was a wee bit more than just gravel - some ruts and some baby heads too. The splash guards are doing a much better job than anticipated of keeping stones off the paintwork. I thought the 45 series tires would give me heck but no flats and no damage to wheels (yet). I have hit the front under spoiler a few times on big potholes though.

GoCougs

Today I took my G in for an oil change, tire rotation and to fix yet another door lock actuator. While there I talked my way into a test drive - today was the first day the Q50 was available for sale and test drive. I ended up with a fully loaded ($57k!) Q50S AWD Hybrid. Thing is this was another sales guy's car so the sales weasel I was dealing had to ride along (none of the cars on the lot were ready to drive - in fact an army of Infiniti techs were there getting the cars prepped). Thus, I couldn't really flog it, but did get a fairly good initial impression:

The good:
1.) Even with the 19" wheels and sport suspension the Q50SH had vastly less road noise and far better ride vs. my non-sport 18" wheel'd G.
2.) The engine is far smoother and quieter (the hybrid uses the 3.5VQ) vs. my G; virtually silent until ~5,500 rpm and then it's only a muted but refined/pleasant growl.
3.) Interior is a bit nicer - softer leather, better plastics (the glove box in my G is now a distinctly different black than the rest of the dash :/), and nicer gauges.

The so-so:
1.) This car had the adjustable electronic steering - can be super tight or super loose. Interesting but not sure I see any real performance/feel advantage.
2.) Feels much more isolated and sanitary WRT the G sedan. Gone is the engine growl and view of the curvaceous fenders from the cockpit.
3.) Tons more tech - multiple parking cameras, lane departure warning, adaptive/reactive cruise control, lane correction, automatic emergency braking, etc.

The bad:
1.) Touch screen interface for radio/HVAC/settings is stupid. At least there are a few physical buttons for basic functions (fan speed).
2.) Each of the three interior interfaces (dash, nav, radio/HVAC/settings) had a different look (brightness, resolution, and shininess) giving an inconsistent visual aesthetic.
3.) Goofy joystick controller for the nav system.

The undecided/unknown:
1.) Overall road presence. The idiot sales weasel kept messing with the different driving modes, which adjust shifting, throttle response, steering feel, etc.
2.) Overall road feel. Hybrids suck with their penchant for regenerating (i.e., not coasting) and start/stopping at random.
3.) AT response. This is a HUGE issue in the G community. Thing is the Q50 hybrid does not use a torque converter. However it works, the AT was much more responsive.

The verdict:
1.) Looks much better in the flesh inside and out than pictures suggest.
2.) Brings much needed (and huge amounts of) refinement to the G but it changes the nature of the car into more of a Lexus GS competitor (softer, refined, toned down).
3.) The multi-screen interior is way overload.

Would I spend ~$50k on a Q50S AWD? At this moment, probably. Though the Q50 has some major detriments (tech overload, no advancement of power train) nothing else in the class is more attractive.

Cookie Monster

They definitely look nice, but I'd take an F30 due to the availability of a manual.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R