The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on August 09, 2013, 02:21:25 PM
Did you "no" my answer to your yes or no question?  And then tell me what other people do as if that's applicable to me?  Also, I have a BMW with 75,000 miles on it right now. Do you think those cars that people turn in on lease just dissolve when they hand the keys back to the dealer?  There's something fucking wrong with you, dude.

I don't know now.

That "you" was a universal you, precognitively answered via the already well-known sky-high lease take rates of German luxury marques - like 70%+ for BMW.

The people who matter (i.e., buy the cars new) don't want those cars with 40k+ miles. Surely, a lot of it has to do with the fact that they lease because they can't afford the car but at lot of it has to do with not owning a reliability liability.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on August 09, 2013, 02:35:36 PM
I don't know now.

That "you" was a universal you, precognitively answered via the already well-known sky-high lease take rates of German luxury marques - like 70%+ for BMW.

The people who matter (i.e., buy the cars new) don't want those cars with 40k+ miles. Surely, a lot of it has to do with the fact that they lease because they can't afford the car but at lot of it has to do with not owning a reliability liability.

I think most people return leases so they can lease a newer car.  People in the lux car market want to have something new so they can shove it in other people's faces.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on August 09, 2013, 02:23:41 PM
And I'm sure no one even leases Japanese cars to return them when the lease terms are over?  You're a joke.

Sure they do, but the least take rate on German cars is much higher.

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on August 09, 2013, 02:39:36 PM
I think most people return leases so they can lease a newer car.  People in the lux car market want to have something new so they can shove it in other people's faces.

And why do they want a newer car, especially given that German model life cycle is usually double or triple the average 2-3 year lease?

hotrodalex

Because new is better. Can't be seen in last year's model.

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 09, 2013, 04:30:55 PM
Because new is better. Can't be seen in last year's model.

False. People lease because they can't afford the cars and don't want to own a car past its warranty period.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on August 09, 2013, 05:05:00 PM
False. People lease because they can't afford the cars and don't want to own a car past its warranty period.

I have to think that when it comes to "image" cars, a lot of people make purchase decisions based on image.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

BMW dealers seem to mention leasing a lot more than other dealerships, so that could be part of it.

SVT666

Dealers love leases because then they get a nearly spotless BMW back that they can sell at inflated prices and call it "Certified".

CJ

Quote from: GoCougs on August 09, 2013, 10:57:30 AM
The 335ix is only one of dozens of iterations of the class. The rest of the class doesn't come close to that level of performance...

The S4 (price is within a spitting distance of the 335xi and you KNOW they are cross-shopped) is almost just as fast. These are serious numbers. A4 vs. 328i vs. S60 T5, these cars are all pretty quick.

Raza

So what kind of German car ran over your dog when you were a kid?  You should probably talk to a professional. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Latter is true, former is questionable
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 11, 2013, 06:26:32 PM

Latter is true, former is questionable

Funny I think the opposite ... IMO people do lease because they can't afford the cars, but I think it has little to do w/ warranty and a lot more just wanting what's shiny and new.

FlatBlackCaddy

WTF, just looked at infiniti's site. They pulled a GM and placed the Q cheaper than an M even though I assume it's the meant to be the top sedan in their lineup? Please tell me the didn't go all the way and make it maxima based.

2o6

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 11, 2013, 08:42:20 PM
WTF, just looked at infiniti's site. They pulled a GM and placed the Q cheaper than an M even though I assume it's the meant to be the top sedan in their lineup? Please tell me the didn't go all the way and make it maxima based.

No, Infinti switched to this dumb ass naming structure.

Q50 - G

Q30 - smaller than the G

Q70? - M

and they use QX for SUV's.....

FlatBlackCaddy

So... the Q50 is the next g sedan?

WTF, so the numerical aspect of the name does NOT represent engine size?

FlatBlackCaddy

Stupid Infiniti, they were actually starting to dig themselves out and make some sense and develop some brand recognition. Chopping and changing shit up isn't going to help and is what has given cadillac problems for decades.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 11, 2013, 09:19:52 PM
Stupid Infiniti, they were actually starting to dig themselves out and make some sense and develop some brand recognition. Chopping and changing shit up isn't going to help and is what has given cadillac problems for decades.

Cadillac's problem was lackluster cars. Their naming conventions were stable for a long, long time: and never this confusing.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 11, 2013, 09:25:53 PM
Cadillac's problem was lackluster cars. Their naming conventions were stable for a long, long time: and never this confusing.

Stable for a long time? Not really, they just sold the same model for 13 years with no updates. They still dropped or changed the name each(or every other) time they did a redesign. And yes, their cars sucked.

Still it's important to keep a model around and gain equity in it, even if it wasn't the best CAR in it's class at the time. The G has a few generations under it's belt. It holds a visible place in the entry lux segment. It's foolish to reorginize, even what BMW is doing now is stupid. They have the market presence to do that, Infiniti doesn't and should have kept their current naming convention.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 11, 2013, 09:30:29 PM
Stable for a long time? Not really, they just sold the same model for 13 years with no updates. They still dropped or changed the name each(or every other) time they did a redesign. And yes, their cars sucked.

Still it's important to keep a model around and gain equity in it, even if it wasn't the best CAR in it's class at the time. The G has a few generations under it's belt. It holds a visible place in the entry lux segment. It's foolish to reorginize, even what BMW is doing now is stupid. They have the market presence to do that, Infiniti doesn't and should have kept their current naming convention.

Ehh, they had the Deville: changed it to the DTS. Same story with the rest of their cars basically. A few years ago they added the "V-series" stuff. I don't see that as a lot of change.

CALL_911

Saw a Q50 today. Quite a good looking car, I'm sure it'll do very well. I don't like Infiniti's stupid new naming scheme, but the car itself is nice- way nicer than the G37, imo.

That said, personally, I don't want one as much as I would like a G37.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 11, 2013, 09:53:52 PM
Ehh, they had the Deville: changed it to the DTS. Same story with the rest of their cars basically. A few years ago they added the "V-series" stuff. I don't see that as a lot of change.

They had the deville, changed it to dts, dropped the line, resurfaced as the xts(or whatever). I'm sure the xts will be renamed in the next redesign. Compare that to some mainstream and other luxury brands that have had ONE model name for a segment in the same time span as the above.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 11, 2013, 09:58:52 PM
They had the deville, changed it to dts, dropped the line, resurfaced as the xts(or whatever). I'm sure the xts will be renamed in the next redesign. Compare that to some mainstream and other luxury brands that have had ONE model name for a segment in the same time span as the above.
If you include the Deville's entire history, that's like a fifty year time span.

GoCougs

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 11, 2013, 09:18:44 PM
So... the Q50 is the next g sedan?

WTF, so the numerical aspect of the name does NOT represent engine size?

It started out that way but just a few days ago Nissan announced that they will drop the price on the G ~$5k and make it through MY2015. IMO they realized how big of mistake they made. The G was a big success because it was the cheapest of the class yet still very good. They've screwed up the Q and M in similar fashion. The first iterations (not including the re-badged Nissan Gloria-based M) were cheap yet pretty good. Nissan tried to go upscale on follow-on generations and the cars sold poorly. Idiots.

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 11, 2013, 09:55:36 PM
Saw a Q50 today. Quite a good looking car, I'm sure it'll do very well. I don't like Infiniti's stupid new naming scheme, but the car itself is nice- way nicer than the G37, imo.

That said, personally, I don't want one as much as I would like a G37.

Not so sure about "way" nicer. I saw some body panel gap issues with the front nose and some of the bits are cheap (the door handles are flimsy as hell). The cars without the 19" sport wheels look downright poor.

12,000 RPM

Cant knock Infiniti for trying to become more profitable

Though again pretty fucking stupid to throw all that brand equity out the window... Acura did the same when they went alphanumeric and I'm not sure they ever recovered
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 12, 2013, 05:11:51 AM
Cant knock Infiniti for trying to become more profitable

Though again pretty fucking stupid to throw all that brand equity out the window... Acura did the same when they went alphanumeric and I'm not sure they ever recovered

Acura went alphanumeric in the early/mid '90's... the names weren't the problem, the lack of RWD/V8 and a flagship car and fugly styling hurt them the most.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on August 12, 2013, 08:49:57 AM
Acura went alphanumeric in the early/mid '90's... the names weren't the problem, the lack of RWD/V8 and a flagship car and fugly styling hurt them the most.

I wouldn't even say the lack of RWD V8, but the fact that they started sharing more and more both visually and mechanically with Honda.

I mean the old Legend and Vigor were FWD, but very different from the Accord. The Integra was Civic based, yes, but bigger and nicer. Then they started to mirror Honda products too much.....and now they're just hideous and not special.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on August 12, 2013, 09:09:53 AM

I wouldn't even say the lack of RWD V8, but the fact that they started sharing more and more both visually and mechanically with Honda.

I mean the old Legend and Vigor were FWD, but very different from the Accord. The Integra was Civic based, yes, but bigger and nicer. Then they started to mirror Honda products too much.....and now they're just hideous and not special.

Nah, I don't think so. Not to derail the thread even more, but the other than the ILX and TSX (which isn't even available here as a Honda Accord), there aren't any others that share a ton with Hondas. Sure, there's the MDX/Pilot, but that's their high volume seller, so you can't attribute Acura's failure to that. The RDX, TL and RLX all don't really have equivalents in the Honda line other than sharing the same engine architecture as some of the Hondas. It's more of the horrible styling and FWD basis (TL is pretty much ugliest in class and only still FWD car in class as well) or being super uncompetitive (RLX) that's killing them. They need something to at least compete with the midsize end of the luxury market (5/A6 competitor), even if they don't have a big RWD/V8 S/7/A8 competitor.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on August 12, 2013, 10:22:12 AM
Nah, I don't think so. Not to derail the thread even more, but the other than the ILX and TSX (which isn't even available here as a Honda Accord), there aren't any others that share a ton with Hondas. Sure, there's the MDX/Pilot, but that's their high volume seller, so you can't attribute Acura's failure to that. The RDX, TL and RLX all don't really have equivalents in the Honda line other than sharing the same engine architecture as some of the Hondas. It's more of the horrible styling and FWD basis (TL is pretty much ugliest in class and only still FWD car in class as well) or being super uncompetitive (RLX) that's killing them. They need something to at least compete with the midsize end of the luxury market (5/A6 competitor), even if they don't have a big RWD/V8 S/7/A8 competitor.

RWD doesn't mean anything anymore.  Everyone is convinced that they need AWD or they'll die.  Lexus dealers, for example, doesn't even stock RWD cars when AWD is available in certain parts of the country.  When my brother was looking at a GS, the only way to get a RWD one was to dealer trade with another dealer hundreds of miles south of here. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i