The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on August 12, 2013, 10:34:20 AM
RWD doesn't mean anything anymore.  Everyone is convinced that they need AWD or they'll die.  Lexus dealers, for example, doesn't even stock RWD cars when AWD is available in certain parts of the country.  When my brother was looking at a GS, the only way to get a RWD one was to dealer trade with another dealer hundreds of miles south of here. 

It's like that here, in minnesota. BMW's, Mercedes and even Infinit's lots are riddled with AWD cars.

12,000 RPM

Doesnt really make sense to have RWD in a place with snow 9 months out of the year

Though, to be fair, my dad did fine with his M45 for like 7 years in NYC.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Quote from: Raza  on August 12, 2013, 10:34:20 AM
RWD doesn't mean anything anymore.  Everyone is convinced that they need AWD or they'll die.  Lexus dealers, for example, doesn't even stock RWD cars when AWD is available in certain parts of the country.  When my brother was looking at a GS, the only way to get a RWD one was to dealer trade with another dealer hundreds of miles south of here. 

Infiniti dealer had ONE! RWD G37, out of something like forty in stock.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

In Canada we could only get RWD if we got the M6, otherwise AWD was standard equipment on the G.

SVT666

I went and checked out the Q50. 

As others have said, the styling looks better in person than in pictures and when parked next to the G37, it makes the G37 look like last year's car...but there is something about the G37's styling that makes it look more svelte than the Q50.  The other problem I have with the Q50's styling is that if you stand and look at the car from the front 3/4 and put your hand up and cover the front grille it looks earily similar to the Hyundai Sonata.  I also noticed uneven panel gaps between the front fenders and the front clip, and the messed up angles where the door/mirror/front fender all meet leaves a good size gap that looks really odd.

Then I got in.  I have a G37xS with the sport seats and the new seats (not a sport model) feel very flat in comparison, though still comfortable.  I will have to check out a Sport model to give an apples to apples comparison.  Head room is greatly improved compared to my G, and the leather that covers the seats and steering wheel are better quality.  I do prefer the perforated leather on the steering wheel of my G for grip to the flat leather used in the Q50.  The interior styling is pleasant and a definite step up and the materials used are nicer, but the touchscreen in the Q was already covered in fingerprints and it looked awful.  I couldn't imagine having to mess with it while driving either.  If I can't have knobs, then at least give me buttons so I can feel rather than take my eyes off the road.

Overall, it's a very nice car, but I won't be buying one to replace my G37 when the time comes.  I would probably end up in the BMW 335i or Audi S4.

afty

There's talk that they may offer a manual in the Q50 sometime down the road.  That might change my mind on this car.

12,000 RPM

They will definitely have to with the coupe...

Might be time for an upgrade on the engine. I wonder if they are still gonna use some Benz turbo 4s for the base engines (blech)

I know the G25 bombed but I think a dumbed down 3.0L and a tricked out 4.0L would complement each other nicely. Maybe a little diesel & hybrid action too.

GoCougs

The last 3 weeks or so I've been getting noticeably better mileage - from 19-20 up to 21-22 in 70/30 highway/city driving. I've sampled at least three different gas stations so it's probably not ethanol related.

I've actually been thinking about replacing the G. Though it's got a monster engine and good AWD system the AT is sorta sucky and the lack refinement is starting to bother me. Thing is at present there is no viable replacement save for MAYBE the S4, and it's slated to be replaced soon...

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on September 04, 2013, 09:57:47 PM
The last 3 weeks or so I've been getting noticeably better mileage - from 19-20 up to 21-22 in 70/30 highway/city driving. I've sampled at least three different gas stations so it's probably not ethanol related.

I've actually been thinking about replacing the G. Though it's got a monster engine and good AWD system the AT is sorta sucky and the lack refinement is starting to bother me. Thing is at present there is no viable replacement save for MAYBE the S4, and it's slated to be replaced soon...

It's the cooler weather. 

What about a Golf R?  Or, since you have no aversion to used cars or automatic transmissions, a MkV R32?  The last of the V6 Golfs.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Still in the 70s and 80s here (well, not today). I wasn't getting this mpg in the spring and early summer, in notably colder temps.

Golf R would be a downgrade in performance and older cars are a no-go.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on September 05, 2013, 09:28:21 AM
Still in the 70s and 80s here (well, not today). I wasn't getting this mpg in the spring and early summer, in notably colder temps.

Golf R would be a downgrade in performance and older cars are a no-go.

Downgrade in performance, on paper, sure.  But it would be without a doubt more fun.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on September 05, 2013, 09:39:32 AM
Downgrade in performance, on paper, sure.  But it would be without a doubt more fun.

Not so sure about that. I have seat time in the GTI and by all accounts the Golf R really isn't much more. Fun but I prefer the G37 over the GTI by a notable margin - quicker, faster, handles, better engine note, better exterior styling.

SVT666

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

The S4 and 335i XDrive are the only cars that fit the bill but each has its challenges (a friend of mine; the guy with the 996TT; says he'd disown me if I bought an AWD BMW ;)).

CJ

I've driven a 535xi. Pass. The 535i M-Sport that replaced it is a completely different animal. That car is actually great to drive, while the AWD one is simply okay at best. There's a level of disconnect and Buick-ness that 535xi had.

hotrodalex

I think a 335i is almost a second quicker to 60 than a 535i.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

GoCougs

Easy, guys. Don't want to turn this into a tell-me-what-I-should-buy-but-I'm-really-not-looking sort of threads.

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 05, 2013, 01:05:24 PM
I think a 335i is almost a second quicker to 60 than a 535i.
He will never buy a BMW, let alone a BMW with a problematic turbo POS inline 6.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on September 05, 2013, 02:31:59 PM
Easy, guys. Don't want to turn this into a tell-me-what-I-should-buy-but-I'm-really-not-looking sort of threads.
STFU.  We will take it from here.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on September 04, 2013, 09:57:47 PM

If its up for replacement thats all the more reason to buy it. Big discounts and all the bugs will be worked out. Unless you are one of those weirdos who cant bear not being in the latest/greatest :lol:

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 05, 2013, 04:42:11 PM
If its up for replacement thats all the more reason to buy it. Big discounts and all the bugs will be worked out. Unless you are one of those weirdos who cant bear not being in the latest/greatest :lol:

Depends. If Audi drops the ball as the rest of class by not upgrading engine/powertrain in an all-new car, it wouldn't be a big deal. But yeah, I wouldn't be happy buying a 2013 S4 to discover 2015MY gets 50 more hp and a 7 sp M/T.

CALL_911

Wouldn't you be buying the DSG anyway?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 05, 2013, 05:20:43 PM
Wouldn't you be buying the DSG anyway?

Would have to think about it; I'd say 45% chance. Not sure I'd trust it past 50,000 miles, and it's major $$$ to replace clutches or replace wholesale.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on September 05, 2013, 05:35:27 PM
Would have to think about it; I'd say 45% chance. Not sure I'd trust it past 50,000 miles, and it's major $$$ to replace clutches or replace wholesale.

Wet plate clutches can take a hell of a lot of slipping and abuse without wearing out.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on September 05, 2013, 05:38:09 PM
Wet plate clutches can take a hell of a lot of slipping and abuse without wearing out.

But they are still clutches, and the S4 is a heavy, powerful AWD car.

hotrodalex

Clutch replacement is better than entire AT replacement/rebuild. :huh:

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 05, 2013, 09:20:25 PM
Clutch replacement is better than entire AT replacement/rebuild. :huh:

Not so sure - the clutches of a DSG-type gearbox are so integrated into the works that I would not be surprised if a clutch "replacement" a practical no-no. (Analogous to the reality that if you burn up a band or the 2-3 clutch packs in a slushie AT you just don't replace those parts - you rebuild the whole AT.)

12,000 RPM

If the clutches are a known wear item, they will make them easy to replace. Otherwise they might make them lifetime items (i.e. like the clutches in an A/T). Either way it's not that big a deal, and if it is just be a man and buy stickshift