The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on September 05, 2013, 08:50:53 PM
But they are still clutches, and the S4 is a heavy, powerful AWD car.

Other than starting from a stop, when do they ever experience any real slip?  And when would said slippage be any worse than what a traditional manual's dry clutch experience?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 06, 2013, 05:41:44 AM
If the clutches are a known wear item, they will make them easy to replace. Otherwise they might make them lifetime items (i.e. like the clutches in an A/T). Either way it's not that big a deal, and if it is just be a man and buy stickshift

By definition of it being a "clutch" it is a wear item, and no, they are not easy to replace in a DSG (or at least much harder than a conventional clutch).

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on September 06, 2013, 03:07:47 PM
Other than starting from a stop, when do they ever experience any real slip?  And when would said slippage be any worse than what a traditional manual's dry clutch experience?

Any time a clutch engages or disengages it will experience a bit of wear. Also, pretty much any car with a DSG will have a launch control algorithm, which is a major wear event.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on September 06, 2013, 03:26:42 PM
Any time a clutch engages or disengages it will experience a bit of wear. Also, pretty much any car with a DSG will have a launch control algorithm, which is a major wear event.

Most automakers don't offer launch control in the US market on their DSGs.  And, again, when will the slippage in a DSG be any worse than what a traditional manual with a dry clutch experiences during a hard launch or during a shift?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on September 06, 2013, 03:07:47 PM

I don't think the wear rate would be any greater, but the job of replacing them very well could be much more involved, and unlike standard ATs, your local shop probably doesn't have shelves full of Audi DSG transmissions waiting to swap in, so you're probably looking at a rebuild, or a dealer priced replacement.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on September 06, 2013, 03:29:11 PM
Most automakers don't offer launch control in the US market on their DSGs.  And, again, when will the slippage in a DSG be any worse than what a traditional manual with a dry clutch experiences during a hard launch or during a shift?

Who doesn't? Ford? Dodge? The two DSG cars I've been in - GTI and S4 - have launch control. The higher performance marques (Porsche, Ferrari, BMW) all have launch control too.

I guess that's my point - it won't be worse but it will be analogous which is to say that periodic M/T clutch replacement is par for the course for a high performance car.

GoCougs

Made a bit more headway on refinement, courtesy of some G37 forums. I greatly lessened if not fixed the rattles in the A-pillar (with Loctite) and overhead sun glass holder door (with foam tape). The headliner is all sorts of noisy, which is what happens when the Velcro starts to wear out (yes, the headliner is affixed to the roof with Velcro  :facepalm:  ). On can press on the headliner to resecure the Velcro but it only lasts a day or so. It's an annoying sound - sounds like there's a plastic grocery bag between the headliner and roof (makes a soft crinkling sound). This only happens over bumps though, so it's not a constant thing like the A-pillar and sun glass door was. I have a fairly loud rattle under the steering column when I hit a bump. Can't seem to find it.

SVT666

What the fuck is happening to your car?  I have yet to develop any of these rattles or noises you keep talking about.

Laconian

Rattles are measured in Hertz. The irony!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on September 07, 2013, 06:33:20 PM
Rattles are measured in Hertz. The irony!

Actually, we measure them in m/s2.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

I knew Nissans in general were rattle traps but never thought to research if the G37 was. About as bad as Honda, which is pretty bad (the Accord interior was definitely put together better though). Luckily members of various G forums have done most all the (significant) footwork for the cures for all these rattle trap ills but it's still a bit of a PITA. It's kinda of my beater car but I'd still rather it not be a rattle trap (now it's not but it took work to get there).

Interestingly, the local Audi dealer called me yesterday afternoon out of the blue saying that just got a low mile 2013 S4 on trade-in exactly like I want (blue, sport diff, no MMI, S-tronic). Very tempting but I've spent some serious coin the last month or so on my new bike and getting my consulting gig going so I'm not exactly in the mood. I also have to go to Japan in about a week and could be gone for a time...

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on September 07, 2013, 05:50:46 PM
What the fuck is happening to your car?  I have yet to develop any of these rattles or noises you keep talking about.

Maybe he has super hearing and/or is a lot more anal about it than you are.

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 07, 2013, 07:33:52 PM

Yes. All G37s rattle. A lot. I do have a lot of concrete roads in my area which will accentuate things. But yeah, I have very good hearing and am a noise Nazi too.

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 07, 2013, 07:33:52 PM
Squeaks and rattles bother me, and my car has none.  Well, that's not true.  There is a very slight vibration behind the center stack when the engine gets close to redline.  But other than that, there is nothing.

Laconian

Apparently my front rotors warped (!!) due to overheating.

Covered under warranty, and they're installing cooling baffles to help mitigate the overheating problem, but still, unusual.

SVT666

Quote from: Laconian on September 09, 2013, 05:07:46 PM
Apparently my front rotors warped (!!) due to overheating.

Covered under warranty, and they're installing cooling baffles to help mitigate the overheating problem, but still, unusual.
Mine have warped as well.  Cooling baffles eh?  I will have to check that out.

Laconian

My loaner is a G37x. Turning radius isn't so great.

Secret Chimp

Turn off the traction control and floor it. Report how far back in head eyeballs end up.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Laconian

Will do. About to head for home.

Laconian

GoCougs

Even with TC off you'll not break 'em loose even launching (in a straight line) in the wet. The first two gears are pretty quick but 3rd and 4th are too tall IMO. But it launches pretty good for a slushie with a relatively low stall speed.

For something real impressive launch on a turn or corner, esp. in the wet. Even my friend with the 996TT is impressed. The ATTESA-ETS system is pretty sweet.

2o6

On a side note, we got a G35x on trade at my job.

A compact flash reader? Really, Infinti? That media was played out by the time this car was on sale (2009).

GoCougs

Sucks about the brakes. Seems lots of cars go in for warped rotor warranty repair. IMO it's weird since it's relatively easy to do the calculations and testing on how much heat the system must absorb. I have had some extensive braking in my car careening down mountain passes loaded with dudes and gear but at ~45k miles the pedal luckily is smooth as butter.

SVT666

I have managed to break all 4 tires loose in wet corners.  Even then it takes a lot of effort on the driver's part. 

I got an app that measures 0-60 mph times using the phones GPS.  It seems pretty accurate and I did 3 runs in a row and I ran 5.6 seconds twice and a 5.8 seconds the other time.  There is of course no way to account for the 1 foot rollout, but Edmunds usually finds it accounts for 0.2 seconds.  3rd gear is relatively tall compared to 2nd and I really noticed a drop off in acceleration when it shifts up.  1st and 2nd are short enough though.

Laconian

Quote from: SVT666 on September 09, 2013, 09:46:02 PM
I have managed to break all 4 tires loose in wet corners.  Even then it takes a lot of effort on the driver's part. 

I got an app that measures 0-60 mph times using the phones GPS.  It seems pretty accurate and I did 3 runs in a row and I ran 5.6 seconds twice and a 5.8 seconds the other time.  There is of course no way to account for the 1 foot rollout, but Edmunds usually finds it accounts for 0.2 seconds.  3rd gear is relatively tall compared to 2nd and I really noticed a drop off in acceleration when it shifts up.  1st and 2nd are short enough though.
What's the name of the app?

SVT666

Quote from: Laconian on September 09, 2013, 10:02:54 PM
What's the name of the app?
Measurement of Acceleration
It's very sensitive to movement.  So put the phone in your cupholder, then press the "calibrate" button and make sure it doesn't start the time.  if it does, press "calibrate" again.  Then go.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on September 09, 2013, 09:40:57 PM

A compact flash reader? Really, Infinti? That media was played out by the time this car was on sale (2009).

One of the guys at work as an FX, which is even newer than that, and it still has a CF reader. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on September 09, 2013, 09:46:02 PM

Which app is it? Sounds a bit slow actually.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on September 09, 2013, 09:40:57 PM

FWIW, G35x's last year was MY2008.

Infiniti bounced around with CF readers, 3.5MM jack, and component cables. Not sure when they phased out but the first two have been gone for some time. My MY2011 has only the USB input and good iPhone integration (though I don't have nav so I miss out on Bluetooth audio streaming).

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on September 09, 2013, 11:02:02 PM
One of the guys at work as an FX, which is even newer than that, and it still has a CF reader. 

This reminds me. I had an FX37 loaner about a month ago. I thought it pretty sweet actually. The FX50 has gotta be a real hot rod but holy hell the ones they had on the lot were ~$70k.