The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on September 10, 2013, 04:24:46 PM
What's it called?  My runs were done with a full tank of gas, so that's probably the difference maker.

Speedometer.

A full tank of gas in the G37 is ~120 lbs. What with my bike, hitch rack and gear, and 1/8 of a tank, I'm about the same as-tested weight. Even removing 100 lbs probably won't even get you 0.1, let alone 0.2 to 0.4 sec. Could be the accuracy of the app. Could be the road wasn't level. Could be atmo conditions. Could be your higher mileage.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on September 10, 2013, 05:02:07 PM
Speedometer.

A full tank of gas in the G37 is ~120 lbs. What with my bike, hitch rack and gear, and 1/8 of a tank, I'm about the same as-tested weight. Even removing 100 lbs probably won't even get you 0.1, let alone 0.2 to 0.4 sec. Could be the accuracy of the app. Could be the road wasn't level. Could be atmo conditions. Could be your higher mileage.
Well, you are at essentially sea level and I'm up in the mountains so that could be part of it too.

hotrodalex

I might have to download the app and see how fast my car is.

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 10, 2013, 05:41:05 PM
I might have to download the app and see how fast my car is.

Watch out for the black helicopters.  :mask:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Took off the bike rack, took the tool bag out of the trunk, and now its in the low 60s. I managed a number of 0-60 in 5.1 and 5.2. It's hard to nail the 5.1. When you brake torque the G the converter immediately flashes to 2,300 rpm and then falls to 2,100. The trick is to launch at the peak flash RPM. If 3rd gear were 15-20% shorter like it should be and if the converter would stall higher or if it had launch control, I think my G might hit sub 5.0 times.

Laconian

Good to be back in my car. Yeah, the driving position is definitely lower, and the steering rack has a tighter ratio than on the sedan. Makes it easier to maneuver around tight corners. I don't know if the steering differences are coupe vs. sedan or RWD vs AWD, but i'm betting it's the latter.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

I wish my steering rack was a touch quicker.

SVT666

I used the same app as Cougs and this morning I made one run with it and knocked off a 5.33 second 0-60 time.  Full tank of gas, 1600 ft. elevation and I outweigh Cougs by about 100 lbs.

SVT666

Just ran a 5.24 second 0-60 time.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on September 10, 2013, 05:02:07 PM
Speedometer.

Speedometer by who?  Tim O's Studios?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

How are you getting readings to the hundredths? At least for the iPhone app it only reads to tenths.

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on September 12, 2013, 02:47:11 PM
Speedometer by who?  Tim O's Studios?

Speedometer xPro by Hodel Apps.

Laconian

Different accelerometer sensors with different apps == apples to oranges.

SVT666

Speedometer xPro doesn't exist for Android.  I'm using Speedometer by Ulysse.  It has a race function on it.  Very cool.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on September 10, 2013, 11:40:27 PM
Took off the bike rack, took the tool bag out of the trunk, and now its in the low 60s. I managed a number of 0-60 in 5.1 and 5.2. It's hard to nail the 5.1. When you brake torque the G the converter immediately flashes to 2,300 rpm and then falls to 2,100. The trick is to launch at the peak flash RPM. If 3rd gear were 15-20% shorter like it should be and if the converter would stall higher or if it had launch control, I think my G might hit sub 5.0 times.
You should go to a drag strip.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

The world is my (existential) drag strip.

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT666 on September 12, 2013, 02:17:12 PM
Just ran a 5.24 second 0-60 time.

wut is dis app u speek of.....

nvm i see toasts.  i mean, posts.  i'll hafta find one for iDevice

afty

New mileage high for me: 25.2 mpg driving down to Disneyland.  Mostly highway driving, 70-80 mph.  Not bad.

Laconian

It must be a zero sum game, because I'm getting my all time low mileage for this tank: 15.9.

Did we switch to winter gas already?

MX793

I don't think they switch to winter fuel until sometime in October.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

So glad to live by a lake. I get that pure uncut no ethanol shit. I have been getting ~21-22 in mixed driving with that. I switched to regular gas for this tank, 18 mpg with slightly more city driving. Only thing is, I think economically it's a wash- pure 93 is about $0.50 more than the ethanol shit.

One good thing though is I think we are out of A/C weather. That should help a bit. When I jumped in the car today I was actually cold!

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 27, 2013, 03:15:22 PM
So glad to live by a lake. I get that pure uncut no ethanol shit. I have been getting ~21-22 in mixed driving with that. I switched to regular gas for this tank, 18 mpg with slightly more city driving. Only thing is, I think economically it's a wash- pure 93 is about $0.50 more than the ethanol shit.

One good thing though is I think we are out of A/C weather. That should help a bit. When I jumped in the car today I was actually cold!

Hey! This is the G-Spot, not the Z-Spot. Start a Z thread where you and JYoder can talk about your cars!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Laconian

Hmm, Google+ autoanimated some random pictures.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on September 27, 2013, 05:35:25 PM
Hey! This is the G-Spot, not the Z-Spot. Start a Z thread where you and JYoder can talk about your cars!

I'd need a substitute JYoder...

afty

New tire time!  My old ones were looking a bit bald, and the rainy season is about to start here in the Bay Area, so I figured it was as good a time as any. 

The previous tires were Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports, which I was pretty happy with.  This time I went with Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions, which seem to be a higher end tire and were about the same price.  Car and Driver rated them 2nd to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which were almost $200 more for the set.  I was out the door for $670, with a $70 rebate to come in the mail -- not bad at all.

Maybe I'll take the G out to the mountains this weekend and give them a workout...

GoCougs

I just put on my Blizzak LM-60 snow tires. All my rattles are pretty much gone. The factory Dunlops wore very quick and that was obviously the problem.

My alignment was WAY out owing to all pothole-filled logging roads I drive, which has given me +1 mpg boost.

GoCougs

Hmmm. Have any fellow G owners had issues whereby the 7AT does a super hard shift periodically at light throttle in the lower gears? I've had it happen a few times and surfing various G boards it's sorta common. I've got ~10,000 miles left on my warranty, so if she goes I hope she goes quick as 7AT replacement can't be cheap esp. on the AWD models.

Laconian

Yes, but only when the engine's cold. It's usually preceded by an odd +500rpm flare in RPMs w/o any surge in acceleration.

Whirrrrrrr-*hard shift*

It happens about once a week.

Eye of the Tiger

Since it is obvious nobody here knows how transmissions work, let me just inform you that they are showing classic signs of about to catch fire and explode into a thousand pieces while you are driving down the road.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

FYA. I'll take my transmission apart and replace random parts with wooden shims and dry spaghetti.