The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

GoCougs

If one is evaluating the progress of the Q50, one would have to look at Q50-only sales and market share numbers.

The new move to keep selling the G37 as the Q40 sounds all sorts of desperate.

GoCougs

I should also say spending on those resources on the hybrid Q50 was stupid.

afty

The other way to look at it is that Infiniti lacks an entry-level engine for the Q50, and to make up for it they sell the G37 at the same price point they would sell a 4-cylinder Q50.  If they are planning to sell the G through MY 2017, that implies they won't have a four ready anytime soon.

I would have liked to see the Q50 powertrains mirror the 3-Series: an entry-level turbo 2.0l four making around 250 hp, and a step-up turbo 3.0l V6 making around 330 hp.  That would also leave room for an S4-like sport model with the boost turned up, making 360-380 hp.

GoCougs

Hmmm. I think that's one thing the Japanese are getting right - staying away from forced induction. A wee bit more power and with a good DSG the VQ would be a real screamer.

GoCougs

So I've been driving around is "DS" mode the last couple of weeks. When I first bought the car I thought it was a worthless gimmick, esp. the auto downshift upon braking. I've now changed my mind. Shifts seem to be a bit sharper, and gears are held longer. The auto downshift on braking seems a bit 'meh' still but it doesn't interfere with drivability. The AT still isn't as responsive as it should be but at least it's a bit bitter now.

GoCougs

Hmmm. Could be what I've been waiting for - Q50 Eau Rouge hopefully w/watered down GT-R power/drive train. Really like the styling cues esp. the wheels.

68_427

Watered down?  I'm not too sure.  Infiniti said over 600tq.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Meh, I'd lose interest then. Too much for a daily driven car for me needs...

GoCougs

Well, that is the case as shown in Geneva today - The Eau Rogue gets the GT-R mechanical bits. I have hard time believing thought that it's gonna get the ~600 hp version. Whose going to buy a ~$100,000+ Q50?

MrH

560 hp, 443 lb-ft.  Twin turbo V6 with AWD.  7-speed auto instead of the dual clutch though.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

afty

QuoteThe most powerful and exhilarating gasoline-powered Infiniti model has not been confirmed for production, but the unveiling of the latest iteration of the Q50 Eau Rouge in Geneva underlines the company's determination to create engaging performance cars for a premium segment.
It's easy to get excited about this, but with the GT-R drivetrain is there any way this will cost less than $100k?

GoCougs

At the dealer now.

The rear door seals came loose on the top of the rear doors causing a leak in the car wash - $400/ea. Valve covers are leaking - $760. Center console cup holder lid sprung but it needs to be replaced - $250. Previously I had to have 3 power door locks replaced - $? (probably at least $250 ea) and fuel door solenoid lock - $? (probably at least $100).

Luckily I'm at 56,000 so all covered under warranty. C'mon Infiniti; 150,000 miles and almost 7 years and the Accord was flawless...

Secret Chimp

$760 for valve cover gaskets? LOL

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

GoCougs

I believe it - I see 4-5 hours plus $200 for the gasket set (+ PVC valves and spark plug grommets). There's a lot of stuff on top - intake piping and intake manifold (both sides for the 3.7), coil packs, and all the junk auto makers love to fasten to and run over the top of valve covers...

SVT666

The only problem I have had so far is my wife broke the cupholder cover off, so I bought a new one on eBay for $50 and installed it myself and then the driver's door has shifted on the hinges.  I still have to get that realigned.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on March 04, 2014, 02:24:09 PM
At the dealer now.

The rear door seals came loose on the top of the rear doors causing a leak in the car wash - $400/ea. Valve covers are leaking - $760. Center console cup holder lid sprung but it needs to be replaced - $250. Previously I had to have 3 power door locks replaced - $? (probably at least $250 ea) and fuel door solenoid lock - $? (probably at least $100).

Luckily I'm at 56,000 so all covered under warranty. C'mon Infiniti; 150,000 miles and almost 7 years and the Accord was flawless...

Junk!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on March 05, 2014, 06:34:19 PM
Junk!

Not quite (yet); but it's definitely no Honda.

One would think with a motor as tried and true as the VQ they'd figure out how to seal it well (the InnerGoogles says it's a common issue with VQs)...

SVT32V

Quote from: GoCougs on March 05, 2014, 12:30:08 AM
I believe it - I see 4-5 hours plus $200 for the gasket set (+ PVC valves and spark plug grommets). There's a lot of stuff on top - intake piping and intake manifold (both sides for the 3.7), coil packs, and all the junk auto makers love to fasten to and run over the top of valve covers...

Replacing valve cover gaskets seems ridiculous in this day and age, unacceptable, reminiscent of a '73 chevy 350.

However, the accord probably got you for at least one timing belt replacement, also anachronistic.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT32V on March 07, 2014, 06:59:29 AM
Replacing valve cover gaskets seems ridiculous in this day and age, unacceptable, reminiscent of a '73 chevy 350.

However, the accord probably got you for at least one timing belt replacement, also anachronistic.

Does seem weird but I'll take that vs. the litany of issues seen with other cars of the class. I will say there are no leaks on the ground and I can't see any signs of leaking under the hood.

I did have a timing belt change in the Accord but that is a matter of course, not a failure.

GoCougs

I was complaining of barely getting 19 mpg in my G37X sedan...

I had to do a lot of driving this week (Seattle to Portland - ~190 miles each way) and decided to experiment. I drove at night so the freeway was mostly clear. I got ~19 mpg last trip. This trip I got 24.2 mpg and did the entire thing on one tank of gas (412 miles) with the car showing 40 miles till empty (and then I know I have ~2 gallons still in the tank, and thankfully it's a 20 gallon tank). The secret? Don't drive really fast, don't thrust and squirt in/out of traffic, and use cruise control.

So, news flash to the world, when you drive fast and thrust and squirt in and out of traffic MPG plummets. I will also say that unlike the last trip the roads were dry, which helps MPG.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on March 08, 2014, 01:41:06 PM
The secret? Don't drive really fast, don't thrust and squirt in/out of traffic, and use cruise control. \helps MPG.

That's no secret, everyone knows that. The thing is, it isn't so easy to do (at least not drive fast)...

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

Yeah it's much easier todo 80mph+ than 60mph.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

I can do 30 on my car if I do 65 with cruise.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

afty

I've never seen more than 25 for a full tank in mine. The manual is geared shorter than the auto though.

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 08, 2014, 02:39:09 PM
That's no secret, everyone knows that. The thing is, it isn't so easy to do (at least not drive fast)...

I know ;). Just being facetious.

GoCougs

Quote from: 68_427 on March 08, 2014, 03:03:35 PM
Yeah it's much easier todo 80mph+ than 60mph.

Depends. What appears to be lack of progress (i.e., driving slower) can indeed be frustrating. However, when I drive my usual way (10-15 over the limit) for much of any length on the freeway I usually attract some idiot who takes it as a cue to race, play cat-n-mouse, move in behind me ride me close (using me as radar/laser block?), block my progress, or w/e (biggest offenders are ricers, white trash, and bros in big diesel pickups (usually jacked up)). Just chilling in the middle/right lane listening to my Radiolab or Fresh Air was a different driving experience to be sure.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on March 09, 2014, 02:41:36 PM
Depends. What appears to be lack of progress (i.e., driving slower) can indeed be frustrating. However, when I drive my usual way (10-15 over the limit) for much of any length on the freeway I usually attract some idiot who takes it as a cue to race, play cat-n-mouse, move in behind me ride me close (using me as radar/laser block?), block my progress, or w/e (biggest offenders are ricers, white trash, and bros in big diesel pickups (usually jacked up)). Just chilling in the middle/right lane listening to my Radiolab or Fresh Air was a different driving experience to be sure.

+1

I attribute a lot of my driving habits to the fact that mommy+daddy pay for my driving. Once I'm on the dole for gas and the like, I'll probably be as close to a hypermiler as possible without actually being one.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

You make this area sound like a nonstop game of Forza Horizon. I must be totally oblivious to these street-racer antagonists. My perception of Seattle driving is that there are way too many novice drivers driving stupidly powerful status cars like a game of bumper cars.

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on March 09, 2014, 03:06:05 PM
You make this area sound like a nonstop game of Forza Horizon. I must be totally oblivious to these street-racer antagonists. My perception of Seattle driving is that there are way too many novice drivers driving stupidly powerful status cars like a game of bumper cars.

To be fair what I see is not Seattle proper, and maybe I talk it up too much but I get tired of it. It's I-90 out in the sticks, and roads south; 18, 167 and I-405 and I-5 south. I-405 is bad and 167 is a war zone. If you don't attract them you probably don't see it much. Yeah, I see the Indian dudes showboating on 520 and I-405 N (I may even know one or two ;)) but that seems relatively harmless.

Laconian

OK, Renton/Kent I can believe. There are innumerable FOBs out in Snoqualmie though.