The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

hotrodalex

$760 for gaskets? I got the gasket in my BMW replaced for $100 and it was just as annoying with stuff on top of the engine.

SVT32V

Not for an I6 engine vs a V6.

There is only one valve cover gasket vs two for the V6.

Unlike an old chevy 350 (carbed), the V6 intake manifold plenum and or/ intake runners no doubt hang over the valve covers. Either or both  have to come off to lift the valve covers off.

On the I6 the intake manifold is just to the side of the engine and not over the valve covers.

Of course if you have a V8/V12 bmw...

Even then $100 seems like a good deal.

GoCougs

Yes, much more labor to get the valve covers off the VQ, esp. the dual snorkel portions of the intake manifold on the 3.7L.

Eye of the Tiger

The VQ40 in our new van at work sounds like a race car, and is very peppy. Much better than the Transit cunnekit.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

The J Series in the Accord was 10x smoother than the VQ. However, I like the "growl" and feel of the VQ - whereas the Accord was a butter smooth piece of precision the G has a dose of brash muscle car nature to it.

GoCougs

Just dropped my G off at the dealer for the head gasket job. Looks like they replace the covers too, which is gonna be a goodly part of the $760.

Also, I they were out of typical service loaners so I got a car off their used lot - a 2007 G35 sedan. Fanboy sites were right - the 5sp AT is much more responsive than the 7sp AT. It's also been quite a while since I've driven a powerful RWD car - good times.

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on March 12, 2014, 06:16:08 PM
Yes, much more labor to get the valve covers off the VQ, esp. the dual snorkel portions of the intake manifold on the 3.7L.

Reason 483 why I6s are superior.

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 13, 2014, 12:33:41 PM
Reason 483 why I6s are superior.

So why did automakers who at one time had I6s (they pretty much all did) switch to V6s? The reasons are the same as to why the reasons the V8 replaced the I8 some ~60 years ago - the V engine is more compact, lighter, has better thermal properties, and is easier to get high(er) RPM performance (= shorter crank).

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on March 13, 2014, 12:32:17 PM
Just dropped my G off at the dealer for the head gasket job. Looks like they replace the covers too, which is gonna be a goodly part of the $760.

Also, I they were out of typical service loaners so I got a car off their used lot - a 2007 G35 sedan. Fanboy sites were right - the 5sp AT is much more responsive than the 7sp AT. It's also been quite a while since I've driven a powerful RWD car - good times.

Wow I'm surprised they did that, I've never heard that happen before.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 13, 2014, 01:34:10 PM
Wow I'm surprised they did that, I've never heard that happen before.

The valve covers have gasket things in the top that shroud the spark plug. These are not serviceable unless one drills through the baffle plate from the underside (this pic's from a DIY thread shows a hole saw; same thread said DO NOT REMOVE BAFFLE plate but no reason given). A dealer isn't going to do this. Perhaps this is where it was leaking, or, more likely, factory procedure says that for any gasket leak anywhere on/in the valve cover just replace the whole thing (and probably cheaper too).

hotrodalex

GoCougs

Well, the G35 is definitely more responsive WRT throttle - something that was noticeable in the G25 too. But wow this thing is a burnout/drift machine, and it's down in power and gearing WRT the G37...

SVT32V

Quote from: GoCougs on March 13, 2014, 06:11:56 PM
Well, the G35 is definitely more responsive WRT throttle - something that was noticeable in the G25 too. But wow this thing is a burnout/drift machine, and it's down in power and gearing WRT the G37...

But lighter, less driveline loss and only rwd.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT32V on March 14, 2014, 07:06:13 AM
But lighter, less driveline loss and only rwd.

Maybe, but there's definitely something else going on. Could be how the AWD system splits power real time.

GoCougs

Just got my snow tires taken off. Think I'll probably pass for next year - too much of a detriment on bare roads...

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on March 13, 2014, 06:11:56 PM

I wonder if the difference is that the G35 has a throttle whereas the G37 has some kind of VALVETRONIC thingy.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on March 14, 2014, 01:31:58 PM
I wonder if the difference is that the G35 has a throttle whereas the G37 has some kind of VALVETRONIC thingy.

Even with VVEL, Nissan retains a throttle plate on their motors.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

http://www.carecstasy.com/Technical_Term/VVEL.html
?

VVEL: Variable Valve Event and Lift (Nissan's newly (2007) developed) - While conventional engines control air intake using a throttle valve, VVEL-equipped engines do this directly at the intake valves, continuously controlling their valve events and lifts. C-VTC and VVEL together control the valve phases and its valve events and lifts, allowing free-control of the valve timing and lift. This results in more efficient airflow through the cylinder and significantly improves responsiveness, optimizing the balance between power and environmental performance.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on March 14, 2014, 01:47:12 PM
http://www.carecstasy.com/Technical_Term/VVEL.html
?

VVEL: Variable Valve Event and Lift (Nissan's newly (2007) developed) - While conventional engines control air intake using a throttle valve, VVEL-equipped engines do this directly at the intake valves, continuously controlling their valve events and lifts. C-VTC and VVEL together control the valve phases and its valve events and lifts, allowing free-control of the valve timing and lift. This results in more efficient airflow through the cylinder and significantly improves responsiveness, optimizing the balance between power and environmental performance.

I'm pretty certain there's still a throttle plate in the motor.  It's used, at the very least, during engine start up.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on March 14, 2014, 01:31:58 PM

The G25 was noticeably more responsive too (i.e. I don't think it has the latest VQ valve tech).

I'm going to put on my tinfoil hat and guess that between the torque converter and/or transfer case clutches and/or throttle mapping Infiniti softens up the x to mitigate transients from the AWD system.

GoCougs

So in driving like a Normal Person I'm averaging 22-23 mpg mixed and 25 mpg on the highway (~60-65 mph).

SVT666

My traction control has stopped working.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on March 30, 2014, 03:48:00 AM
My traction control has stopped working.

Oh darn....

SVT666

Except now there are three warning lights on my dash.

GoCougs

With a powerful car like the G37 stability control (AFAIK there is no separate traction control; they're one and the same on the G37) is kinda important IMO. On the G37x stability control can't be turned completely off as I have a feeling that the car would be a POS without a least some electronic control. There is a lot to the ATTESA-ETS system and how it functions. Also, a problem with stability control may be an indication that there is a problem with the ATTESA-ETS system, which would be major concern. Yikes, doesn't sound cheap. Keep us posted as I'm interested in the resolution.

afty

I've gotten myself into trouble a few times where I've been glad to have stability control. At least with the rear wheel drive G, it's surprisingly easy to have the tail come around.

hotrodalex

Does the RWD model come with an LSD?

GoCougs

LSD only comes with the M/T Sport package. However, the base RWD A/T loaner I had a few weeks ago sure acted like it had a LSD - never once did I get a peg leg burnout, even when making a right hand turn.

r0tor

This thread is like watching a bunch of snowmen disintegrate in the middle of summer in Florida.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Going to try and sell the G.  My wife wants something better on gas, since she drives a lot for work.  She is thinking about the Mazda3.