The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on April 11, 2014, 02:51:38 PM
I don't think so, everybody on here has the same problem with their Gs.

Interesting.  His started when he had the original brakes replaced at whatever mileage.  It's an '05 coupe.  I think he took it back in once and then it was fine (don't recall if they turned the rotors or what), but then it started back up not long after.  So now he just sorta...lives with it.

afty

Here are the issues I've had with mine:
1) 5th gear synchro went bad, transmission replaced under warranty.
2) One of the rear wheel bearings went bad, replaced under warranty.
3) Tapping noise from dash above 3500 rpm.  Turned out to be this TSB (http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/1RW10.pdf), fixed by flushing the heater core.
4) Brake rotors are warped, will replace them next time I do brakes. 

That doesn't sound great when you write it all down, but I'm at 83k miles and haven't had to pay for any significant repairs out of pocket.  The transmission is worrisome but the other stuff is all minor.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Laconian on April 11, 2014, 03:06:36 PM
Nice out-of-context quote.

Correct-context quotes are almost never fun.  :lol:
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Laconian

Another trip to Bellingham. I averaged 31mpg going 60-70mph along the freeway stretch. I had fun zipping around the lakes at extralegal speeds, which brought it down to 24mpg combined for the trip.

Normally I get 16.5mpg for my daily cross-town commute.

I really love my car. It's a spot-on blend of comfort and sport, it can adapt to whatever situation you throw at it. Sure, it could be more raw, but my boyfriend would probably complain like he did when I drove my Miata longer than 100mi at a time.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on April 14, 2014, 04:07:17 PM
Sure, it could be more raw, but my boyfriend would probably complain

G drivers are a bunch of pervs. Exhibit B.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Laconian

My car's back seats have LATCH anchors. I am looking forward to taking my niece and nephew for a top-down spin this summer. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Kevin, loved your car- would have been awesome with the top down!!

My current dream is to get a car big enough for the family then a mini convertible or Miata or anything with a drop top for commuting/fun.
Will

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 21, 2014, 06:04:50 AM
Kevin, loved your car- would have been awesome with the top down!!

My current dream is to get a car big enough for the family then a mini convertible or Miata or anything with a drop top for commuting/fun.

Two words, one car: Murano Convertible.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

The G37 is big enough for four average sized adults. The people in the back get an earful of wind but the seats are comfort and legroom is (barely) not an issue.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on April 21, 2014, 09:59:13 AM
Two words, one car: Murano Convertible.

Hmmm...

Like it BUT

-too tall (seriously, a non-SUV??)
-didn't debut until 2011? (money will be a serious issue...)

But I will have to keep it in mind- likely won't be shopping for at least a year or two.
Will

CJ

Uh...it IS an SUV. 

Soup DeVille

No, its not, its a unicorn.

They don't really exist. Its just a long running joke among the automotive press corps, and some tricky photoshoppery.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CJ on April 21, 2014, 09:22:12 PM
Uh...it IS an SUV. 

To me, SUV implies that it has at least a mediocre level of off-road capability.
Otherwise, it's a crossover.

-CVT????
-car-based frame
-no "Utility"- they had to up the weight to add bracing underneath and the trunk is waaaaay down.

"Speaking of overpriced Muranos, the ridiculous CrossCabriolet model remains in the lineup, for anyone looking for a tippy, overweight four-seat ragtop. "

"It is a sport-utility without sport or utility. It is a crossover that crosses over to where form has no relation to function."
-Car and driver
Will

GoCougs

~300 miles left on my bumper-to-bumper warranty and the g-d driver side door lock is FUBAR again. Have an appt. for Monday... The last week I've noticed a lot more interior rattles. The weather has been hot so maybe that's loosened things up. My tires are fairly worn (stock Dunlop "ultra" A/S) which can cause issues too...

I had high hopes for the TLX but like most any car these days it's laughably overloaded with "tech." A M/T SH-AWD version is rumored for MY2016 (I've 90% decided that my next car will have M/T).

AutobahnSHO

door locks are easy- take the door apart, disassemble the locking mechanism, pry apart all the plastic crap, order a tiny motor. Put it all back in.

:lol:
Will

hotrodalex

Yeah but this is a premium car so maintenance is premium difficulty for no good reason. I'm sure there are some steel plates welded all around the actuator just because screw you.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on May 02, 2014, 09:19:57 AM
~300 miles left on my bumper-to-bumper warranty and the g-d driver side door lock is FUBAR again. Have an appt. for Monday... The last week I've noticed a lot more interior rattles. The weather has been hot so maybe that's loosened things up. My tires are fairly worn (stock Dunlop "ultra" A/S) which can cause issues too...

I had high hopes for the TLX but like most any car these days it's laughably overloaded with "tech." A M/T SH-AWD version is rumored for MY2016 (I've 90% decided that my next car will have M/T).

Warm weather loosening things up?  Can't say I've ever noticed more rattles in warm weather.  Nothing brings out rattles like starting a car that's been sitting outside in sub-zero temperatures all night.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: GoCougs on May 02, 2014, 09:19:57 AM
(I've 90% decided that my next car will have M/T).

That limits your choices a lot these days. I may live to see you in a dimmer even.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

GoCougs

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 02, 2014, 07:10:51 PM
door locks are easy- take the door apart, disassemble the locking mechanism, pry apart all the plastic crap, order a tiny motor. Put it all back in.

The days of me working on cars is long over mang...

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on May 03, 2014, 08:07:36 AM
Warm weather loosening things up?  Can't say I've ever noticed more rattles in warm weather.  Nothing brings out rattles like starting a car that's been sitting outside in sub-zero temperatures all night.

We went fro 50s to ~90 in a day, so things expand relatively quickly, preloading all sorts of fiddly bits, is what I'm thinking...

hotrodalex

What kind of junk can't handle a normal spring temp jump?

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 03, 2014, 11:40:09 AM
What kind of junk can't handle a normal spring temp jump?

Do you know what "preload" means?

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on May 03, 2014, 12:06:42 PM
Do you know what "preload" means?

Do you know what "your 'awesome' G37 is junk compared to a BMW since it can't even handle a temperature jump without rattling" means?

FoMoJo

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 03, 2014, 12:39:52 PM
Do you know what "your 'awesome' G37 is junk compared to a BMW since it can't even handle a temperature jump without rattling" means?

I was never that keen on anything Nissan to begin with...with the odd exception.  This thread has convinced me to stay clear of them at all cost.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 03, 2014, 10:14:47 AM
That limits your choices a lot these days. I may live to see you in a dimmer even.

I know - a bit of a downer. The only two current cars that fit the (my) wants are the S4 and 335i Xdrive sedan, with the "maybe" of the MY2016 TLX SH-AWD 6MT.

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 03, 2014, 12:39:52 PM

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 03, 2014, 01:00:32 PM

I was never that keen on anything Nissan to begin with...with the odd exception.  This thread has convinced me to stay clear of them at all cost.

Pretty brave considering the cars you guys own/were given ;)...

Laconian

Mine just has cowl shake. :lol:

GoCougs

3.0L V6

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 02, 2014, 07:10:51 PM

Take door apart. Break cheesy plastic clips. Swear. Remove locking mechanism. Throw away entire motor assembly, since that's the only way you can order it. Lose pieces of door assembly. Swear profusely. Wonder how they ever assembled the damn thing at the factory in the first place. Eventually "persuade" new motor assembly to fit. Put door together, realize you have extra door pieces. Profanity. Take door apart (breaking more plastic clips), find where extra part goes, reassemble door. Enjoy 15,000 new squeaks as all plastic clips that previously prevented cacophony are now broken. Congratulate self on job well done.