The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

GoCougs

Yeah, I just hit 65k and thought about new shocks/struts just because (I don't feel/hear any issues but sometimes things can degrade slowly without being noticed) but the dealer said they don't recommend it unless there are signs of failure because it is a very expensive fix.

Laconian

I think my driveway is pretty harsh on them - steep and off camber departure from the road.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

68_427

Infiniti is going back the the G37's hydraulic steering in the Q50.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Morris Minor

Total sellout I know: but for my two-hour/day rush hour commutes, a Prius or something would make more sense. Something that uses hardly any fuel, can sit in heavy traffic, provide climate control & a good sound system. Even better if it did the driving for me.

Sigh (looking at the sexy shiny G in my garage)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 30, 2014, 05:09:15 AM
Total sellout I know: but for my two-hour/day rush hour commutes, a Prius or something would make more sense. Something that uses hardly any fuel, can sit in heavy traffic, provide climate control & a good sound system. Even better if it did the driving for me.

Sigh (looking at the sexy shiny G in my garage)
Blah, I wouldn't get a Prius for heavy commuting. The numerous blind spots would make commuting very stressful.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

hotrodalex

My aunt has a new Camry hybrid and it seemed really nice. A lot better than the previous gen or two of Camrys that I've been in.

68_427

I actually really like the Prius V
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

Wifeys next whip is prob gonna be a volt

A g is a waste for stop and go traffic. U can rent a g for road trips
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

I rented a GMC Savana-based UHaul today, just a 10ft box truck. Its tip-off from rest and transmission up-shifts are superior to those of the G37.

hotrodalex

GM does automatics very well.

CALL_911

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 31, 2014, 02:05:25 PM
I rented a GMC Savana-based UHaul today, just a 10ft box truck. Its tip-off from rest and transmission up-shifts are superior to those of the G37.

I helped my sister move and drove one of those to Pittsburgh from Long Island. I have to say, it was not as bad as I thought it would be. That V8 sounds pretty good.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Sad thing is the G35 5AT was a much better tranny (had one as a service loaner a few months ago). Very responsive to downshifts, good solid upshifts, better spacing between ratios (IMO the G37's first two gears are nice and short but 3rd and 4th are comically tall). Fanboy forums back this up as well. Drive the G37 by manually shifting and it's better but then again there is a 1-2 sec delay WRT the shifter.

AutobahnSHO

ouch  :lol:
Will

FoMoJo

GM always had excellent automatic transmissions.  They, practically, invented them...at least the ones that worked best.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 02, 2014, 12:12:42 PM
GM always had excellent automatic transmissions.  They, practically, invented them...at least the ones that worked best.

Actually, Mopar had the first reliable/durable/usable modern AT, the TorqueFlight, in 1956 (the key was 3 speeds and torque converter). Everything else prior was just awful, though some were interesting (Buick's Dynaflow CVT).

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on September 02, 2014, 01:49:11 PM
Actually, Mopar had the first reliable/durable/usable modern AT, the TorqueFlight, in 1956 (the key was 3 speeds and torque converter). Everything else prior was just awful, though some were interesting (Buick's Dynaflow CVT).
It could be argued that the Borg Warner Cruise-O-Matic introduced in 1951, which utilized torque converter and planetary gearset, shifted smoothly and was reliable and used by a number of manufactuers, was well ahead of the TorqueFlight as a modern automatic transmission.  HydraMatics were certainly the first of useful automatic transmissions, and quite robust as they were used on military equipment, including tanks, during the war years.  Their failing was lack of smooth shifting in lower speeds.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Problem with the Cruise-O-Matic is it started in 2nd gear and the problem with the HydraMatic is it had inherent design issues that prevented good shifts (no torque converter an clutch and band activation had to be precisely timed which is nigh impossible) and durability. The TorqueFlight solved operational and reliability and usability issues by using a torque converter, planetary gears, the appropriate clutch/band configuration, and the appropriate fluidic computer (valve body). Mopar was the first to combine all thusly, which is a design that served as the basis for all modern transmissions, including the GM and Ford 3 sp ATs that followed (TH-350/400, C4/C6/FMX, etc.) up to slushie ATs today (though in many cases bands have been replaced with dog clutches).

Morris Minor

I think ABS & stability control saved me early yesterday morning.  Did not see a lake of water in a huge rainstorm on one of Atlanta's dark unlit freeways. Must have been a blocked or overloaded drain in a dip in the road.

So I hit the  water at about 45-50 mph - had to brake into it as the car in front had done so.  ABS kicked in as the front wheels aquaplaned and the stability control lessened the fishtailing as the rear wheels lost contact.

Thank you Infiniti.

Morris Minor

"The 235i is easy to drive slowly and rewarding to drive quickly."
Daniel Pund C&D Jan 2015

This is what I'd like in the G37... the easy to drive slowly bit...

CALL_911

So why don't you buy one?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 04, 2014, 05:32:22 PM
"The 235i is easy to drive slowly and rewarding to drive quickly."
Daniel Pund C&D Jan 2015

This is what I'd like in the G37... the easy to drive slowly bit...
Yeah, me too.  I just can't keep my foot out of it.

GoCougs

Just hit 75,000 miles and all is well. Just got my snow tires on so ready for another season of snow/mountain pass driving. Road rash is less than I expected, esp. with the dark paint. Wheels have taken a bit of a beating though. It's a PITA to get them refinished so I'll probably pass. Interior is holding up almost perfectly, esp. the center arm rest which is very soft and pliable - I thought that would go in no time. I'd be open to a new car but nothing appeals at all - S4 is close but too much NVH - needs active noise cancellation at least (should be on the B9 due next year though).

GoCougs

Got a new windshield (the old one was so scratched and pitted that it wouldn't stay clean such that I could hardly see at night in the wet) and owing to the awful ski season took my roof ski racks off, and went from 17 to 20-21 mpg.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: GoCougs on February 10, 2015, 10:36:22 AM
...took my roof ski racks off, and went from 17 to 20-21 mpg.

Huh, never knew those things were such a detriment. I see folks driving around with them all the time.

AutobahnSHO

I knew they're bad on gas but not that bad!!!
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on February 10, 2015, 10:36:22 AM
Got a new windshield (the old one was so scratched and pitted that it wouldn't stay clean such that I could hardly see at night in the wet) and owing to the awful ski season took my roof ski racks off, and went from 17 to 20-21 mpg.

This sparked the OCD in me. Posted this in the detailing thread: http://www.carspin.net/index.php?topic=22431.msg2092189#msg2092189
(my Prius' windshield has very fine scratches from the wipers)

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 11, 2015, 07:09:34 AM
This sparked the OCD in me. Posted this in the detailing thread: http://www.carspin.net/index.php?topic=22431.msg2092189#msg2092189
(my Prius' windshield has very fine scratches from the wipers)

I'm extremely sensitive to it and don't know why. Not sure it's my night vision going necessarily - I've had the problem since my first "new" car back in the last '90s whilst still in my 20s.

I've tried that method and others to keep a windshield clean. Once the damage is done it sorta works but only for about a week or so. The glass shops tell me windshields have layers and once that first layer starts to go you've had it.

The windshield on my G was ~4 years old (original). I should have swapped it out at the 2 year mark.

GoCougs

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 10, 2015, 10:50:32 AM
Huh, never knew those things were such a detriment. I see folks driving around with them all the time.

I do most of my driving on the freeway at an average of 75-80 mph...

GoCougs

So when the Q50 came out I was not impressed esp. with styling. I've had a couple as service loaners and now I think it's the sharpest looking in the poser class. Still hate the media interface, very disappointed in reusing the G37 motor and tranny and no M/T option, and no LED turn signals bothers (me but none of the Japanese seem to be doing it so there must be a reason) so probably wouldn't buy one but there are indeed some screaming deals out there.