The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on March 30, 2015, 09:39:18 PM
I disagree.  If you're driving even a little more aggressive than normal, DS holds gears when you're accelerating and when you let off the gas and shifts down much higher in the revs when braking.  Having said that, most of the time I just use the paddles in DS for full control.

But then it will hang in a gear when you stop accelerating and then upshift at some unknown point.

SVT666

Yeah, right when the car decides you aren't driving hard anymore.

68_427

You can probably get a replacement led from superbrightleds
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Quote from: 68_427 on March 31, 2015, 06:45:12 AM
You can probably get a replacement led from superbrightleds

The clock assembly is ultrasonically welded (i.e., permanently sealed - you'd have to break it apart to get to the LED(s)).

hotrodalex

That just makes it fun.

12,000 RPM

This sounds like a business opportunity.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

So, got my G back. The Q definitely had far better brake feel, AT responsiveness and handling - add to that better ride and lower NVH and it's a nice balance between lux and performance. G is still more visceral.

That steering though - it's just awful. Forget the lack of feeling which no one really cares about - there is zero on center dead band - even in the softest/weakest setting you gotta be on it or the car will be weaving.

The three info displays are ridiculous - far too much info. Nice to be back in the stripped down G.

SVT666

I just ordered new brakes for my G and I can't believe Infiniti fitted a 3800 lbs AWD sport sedan with the smallest brakes available for the car. The bigger brakes are coupe and convertible only. No wonder the front rotors warp like a motherfucker.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: SVT666 on April 10, 2015, 08:09:43 PM
I just ordered new brakes for my G and I can't believe Infiniti fitted a 3800 lbs AWD sport sedan with the smallest brakes available for the car. The bigger brakes are coupe and convertible only. No wonder the front rotors warp like a motherfucker.

My dad's G sedan has the giant Akebono brakes. :huh:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT666

Quote from: thecarnut on April 10, 2015, 11:04:22 PM
My dad's G sedan has the giant Akebono brakes. :huh:
RWD or AWD?

GoCougs

The G37X does not have the S brakes/suspension.

SVT666

It should at least have the brakes.  The stock front rotors are too small and they warp easily.

12,000 RPM

Damn, 3800lbs, yea thats bad.

The newer x's had a sport model though with 19s I think and big brakes.

Most cars are underpsecced for brakes.

SVT666

All x models have the base brakes,which is stupid since the x model weighs 300 lbs more than the base model. I'm finding out that the front discs warping is a very common problem with the x model. 

I ordered slotted StopTech rotors and pads.

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on April 11, 2015, 07:57:45 AM
All x models have the base brakes,which is stupid since the x model weighs 300 lbs more than the base model. I'm finding out that the front discs warping is a very common problem with the x model. 

I ordered slotted StopTech rotors and pads.

12.6" rotors are not grossly undersized, even for a car that heavy, for street driving.  The last Pontiac GTO was running 11.7" fronts.  '05-'10 Mustangs, including the '10 Track Pack, had 12.4s.  Mustangs are a little lighter, but I would think would have been spec'ed for harder driving than a G37x (not many track or autox those). 

Many times, "brake warping" is actually pad material being deposited unevenly on the rotor surface.  Frequently because the pads weren't bedded in properly when installed. 

From experience, I've found improperly torqued wheel lugs can also result in warping.  Not sure how, but there seems to be a connection.  Something my dad noticed years ago after a couple of sets of warped rotors in the family car.  He started re-torquing wheels himself after the dealer took a wheel off (and found that the lugs were not torqued correctly or evenly) and never had another warped rotor.   I always re-torque the lugs myself any time anyone but me takes a wheel off for any reason.  The one time I didn't on my Mazda following the dealer taking the wheels off during an annual vehicle inspection, I had a rotor warp after a couple of weeks of driving (I re-torqued as soon as I felt it start pulsing and it mostly straightened itself out).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on April 11, 2015, 09:16:08 AM
12.6" rotors are not grossly undersized, even for a car that heavy, for street driving.  The last Pontiac GTO was running 11.7" fronts.  '05-'10 Mustangs, including the '10 Track Pack, had 12.4s.  Mustangs are a little lighter, but I would think would have been spec'ed for harder driving than a G37x (not many track or autox those). 

Many times, "brake warping" is actually pad material being deposited unevenly on the rotor surface.  Frequently because the pads weren't bedded in properly when installed. 

From experience, I've found improperly torqued wheel lugs can also result in warping.  Not sure how, but there seems to be a connection.  Something my dad noticed years ago after a couple of sets of warped rotors in the family car.  He started re-torquing wheels himself after the dealer took a wheel off (and found that the lugs were not torqued correctly or evenly) and never had another warped rotor.   I always re-torque the lugs myself any time anyone but me takes a wheel off for any reason.  The one time I didn't on my Mazda following the dealer taking the wheels off during an annual vehicle inspection, I had a rotor warp after a couple of weeks of driving (I re-torqued as soon as I felt it start pulsing and it mostly straightened itself out).
I understand all that, but it is a fact the G37x sedan is prone to brake warping. It's a really common issue.

GoCougs

300 lbs isn't make/brake WRT "warping" (runout) which has nothing to do with heat or rotor size. Enough heat to warp a lump of cast iron that big will destroy pads, seals, brake fluid, grease, etc., be immediate (not cumulative), and be WAY larger than the ~0.005" typical runout spec. (= probably render the vehicle undriveable). My bet is you couldn't put enough heat into a rotor to warp one on the average car - other things would start failing first to the point the car would be undriveable (i.e., brake pads fail = can't put any more heat into the rotors).

0.005" runout is tiny tiny tiny - roughly two sheets of printer paper. That small of a spec means brakes are fairly sensitive to tolerance stack up, which can be affected by anything from gunk on the rotor mounting surface, to gunk on the rotor, to improper tightening of lug nuts, to even just dropping it.

SVT666

Well, since front rotor warping is common on the G37x sedan and it is not on the base G37 sedan, I would say it most likely comes down to the weight difference.

AutobahnSHO

Or a difference in everything around the rotors. Suspension or wheel beering difference??

How hard is it to swap to the beefier setup??
Will

Rich

Do they use a different pad material more suitable for colder climates?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

hotrodalex

A swap to the larger sport pack rotors doesn't seem too difficult. Just need the caliper brackets, calipers, and rotors?

Swapping pad compound also seems like a good idea.

SVT666

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 11, 2015, 12:24:15 PM
Or a difference in everything around the rotors. Suspension or wheel beering difference??

How hard is it to swap to the beefier setup??
I don't believe the bigger brakes fit with the G37xS wheels.  Anyhow, I ordered StopTech's slotted rotors and pads.  They are supposed to show a marked improvement in both braking performance and durability.

12,000 RPM

Bedding is key. When I got my Z brakes upgraded I did my best to bed them in and they worked pretty well from there forward. I will definitely bed my Civic's brakes when I upgrade them too, they judder.

Quote from: GoCougs on April 11, 2015, 09:32:21 AM
300 lbs isn't make/brake WRT "warping" (runout) which has nothing to do with heat or rotor size. Enough heat to warp a lump of cast iron that big will destroy pads, seals, brake fluid, grease, etc., be immediate (not cumulative), and be WAY larger than the ~0.005" typical runout spec. (= probably render the vehicle undriveable). My bet is you couldn't put enough heat into a rotor to warp one on the average car - other things would start failing first to the point the car would be undriveable (i.e., brake pads fail = can't put any more heat into the rotors).
If warping rotors on average cars is so difficult, why are there so many average cars with warped rotors? What causes the braking only vibration?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on April 11, 2015, 09:16:08 AM

This is generally always the case. It will occur more often with pads that are meant for old ladies. They break down at lower temperatures and leave shit on the rotor.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 11, 2015, 08:52:49 PM
If warping rotors on average cars is so difficult, why are there so many average cars with warped rotors? What causes the braking only vibration?

More often than not, the "warping" isn't caused by heat.  It's either not warping (uneven pad material deposited on the rotor) or it's caused by something like uneven or improper lug torque.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 11, 2015, 08:52:49 PM

They are deformed but they are not "warped" from heat.

Like I mentioned earlier it's a pretty precise system - max runout is tiny - and there are likely lots of causes.

CJ

I have a G37 S convertible this weekend in LA with my boyfriend. I've only ever driven one G, so we'll see how I like it.

CALL_911

I had no idea they still made those, let alone rented them. Sans maybe the 911, I still think it's the best looking 4 seat vert on sale. The 4 vert looks like shit, as does everything else I can think of

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TBR

The A5 convertible is stunning.

Might actually be better looking than the coupe.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on April 13, 2015, 12:13:45 PM
They are deformed but they are not "warped" from heat.

Like I mentioned earlier it's a pretty precise system - max runout is tiny - and there are likely lots of causes.
Deformed....warped.... you're hinging your claim on semantics, and are still wrong. The pad material theory holds more weight... pads slipping and gripping over and over would yield vibration only under braking  and result from the changing mu across the rotor.