The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

MrH

I had zero idea if that was the old M, FX, or luxe Armada.  Infinite screwed their naming up bad.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

I agree. I feel like I still don't know which QFX568034 is which.

GoCougs

Infiniti is a disaster. So not only is the naming convention a  :facepalm:  sales figures for the Q50 + Q40 (stripper G37) is lower than for the G37, and market share is even lower. The only thing keeping their total US sales numbers from looking absolutely dismal is the new QX60 (rebadged Pathfinder).

With the G, FX and original M Infiniti had a good niche with cars that were a bit more raw and thrilling, and of course cost less. It was working well. Now? Who in their right mind is gonna buy a $55k Q50? Fer shame. A G37 with 7 years of advancement would have been an awesome package.

giant_mtb

Wait wait. Just went to Infiniti's website...the G is no longer the G?  Literally every vehicle is a Q????  It's worse than I thought. 

lol infiniti

Morris Minor

G37 - the last interesting thing infiniti did before it went down the shitter.
Trying to think of an analogy - the Me262 & the Luftwaffe?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

ifcar

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 28, 2015, 12:30:04 PM
Wait wait. Just went to Infiniti's website...the G is no longer the G?  Literally every vehicle is a Q????  It's worse than I thought. 

lol infiniti

The G is actually two different Qs. The Q40 is the old G sedan and the Q60 is the old G coupe. Meanwhile the Q50 is essentially the redesigned G.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 28, 2015, 12:30:04 PM

lol infiniti
The guy who came up with Infiniti's naming scheme is at Cadillac now. He came up with the Audi A naming scheme. I guess he figures if it worked once 20 years ago it will work forever 10000000 times.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 28, 2015, 06:39:37 PM
The guy who came up with Infiniti's naming scheme is at Cadillac now. He came up with the Audi A naming scheme. I guess he figures if it worked once 20 years ago it will work forever 10000000 times.

Technically, the Audi system worked because Audi got better cars. That's harder to do than new names, though.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: ifcar on June 28, 2015, 07:11:37 PM
Technically, the Audi system worked because Audi got better cars. That's harder to do than new names, though.
Yea, the overhaul was def very comprehensive. Sharp contrast to Acura, for example, whose alphanumeric cars were much worse than the whole name cars they replaced. Audi also provided the first legit BMW/MB fighters that had AWD, which was huge for like 60% of the luxury buying population

Still though, market conditions didn't hurt. 1995-1996, luxury market was wide open. Any competent sporty entry released through like 2004 was guaranteed success.

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 29, 2015, 06:11:12 AM
Yea, the overhaul was def very comprehensive. Sharp contrast to Acura, for example, whose alphanumeric cars were much worse than the whole name cars they replaced. Audi also provided the first legit BMW/MB fighters that had AWD, which was huge for like 60% of the luxury buying population

Still though, market conditions didn't hurt. 1995-1996, luxury market was wide open. Any competent sporty entry released through like 2004 was guaranteed success.

Could this mean that the Caddy that zigs wasn't competent?  :(

Morris Minor

I still can't get my mind round the Cadillac naming scheme. So here's mine:

WBT - Wannabe BMW Three-series.
MAM - Middle-aged Midsizer
GLB  - Granddad's Luxo-Barge
WBS - Wish I'd Bought the Suburban

SVT666

If the first letter or number is the same, almost everyone thinks it's the same car with a different engine.  Audi for example had me confused when I first starting paying attention to them.  I thought the A4, A6, and A8 were the same car with 4, 6, and 8 cylinder engines.

I own an Infiniti and I don't know which is which Q and QX vehicles.

Cadillac should stay with ATS, CTS, and STS.  Going with CT_ is going to fuck everything up for consumers.

12,000 RPM

You HATE chassis codes though, so you may be biased against alphanumerics unfairly.

Caddy's plan is only going to make a bad situation worse. Johan de Nysschen is a brilliant self promoter and a terrible auto executive.

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 29, 2015, 01:54:31 PM
You HATE chassis codes though, so you may be biased against alphanumerics unfairly.

I would take a real name over alphanumerics any day of the week, but if you are going to use alphanumerics you have to make sure they make sense. 

BMW's naming scheme made even more sense when the last two letters actually stood for engine displacement.  Now they don't mean anything either except (little engine, middle engine, big engine). 

Mercedes' naming scheme makes sense too. C, E, and S all mean different sizes of car and the last three letters refer to engine displacement (not sure if they do anymore, but at least they used to).

An A4, A6, and A8 sound like different variations of the same car.  A 320i, 328i, and 335i sound like the same car with different engines for the same reason and, what do you know, it is the same car with different engines.  Putting the same letter at the front of an alphanumeric no matter what the vehicle is confuses people and is actually completely pointless.  What does the "A" in Audi's naming scheme actually mean aside from standing for Audi?  It doesn't mean anything.  In fact, it doesn't give you any clue as to the car at all.  Same with Infiniti's new naming scheme. The Q actually stands for nothing. To me (and likely most) Q40, Q50, Q60, and Q70 just sound like different variations of the same car. Here is where it gets confusing though, the Q60 is the coupe and convertible version of the Q40 and the Q50 is the new version of the Q40 (that is still on sale), but the Q70 is a completely different car altogether in a different size and price class.

Cadillac has trademarked CT2, CT3, CT4, CT5, CT6, CT7, and CT8.  It also trademarked XT2, XT3, XT4, XT5, XT6, XT7, and XT8.  What a slew of meaningless names.

Alphanumerics need to be done right.

12,000 RPM

Alphanumerics need to go in the garbage. There is no way for a non German company to do it right IMO.

Xer0

The problem with chasing the Germans into alphabet soup land is that the Germans have always used letters and numbers to designate cars and its a very German thing to do and fits the cars.  I hope Lincoln's Continental works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morris Minor

Huh, I could not fill the tank above 3/4 full last night. Tried another pump. Tried trickling it in. Weird

SVT666

Maybe your gauge is broken.

ifcar

Every now and then, my Focus is very resistant to being filled up -- put in a half a gallon, it shuts off, put in another few tenths, shuts off, repeating until I get close to where it could conceivably be full.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: ifcar on July 01, 2015, 01:44:20 PM
Every now and then, my Focus is very resistant to being filled up -- put in a half a gallon, it shuts off, put in another few tenths, shuts off, repeating until I get close to where it could conceivably be full.

This used to happen with my GTI every now and again. I assumed I wasn't getting the nozzle to sit right in the fuel tank or something. Never had it happen on my current car though.

ifcar

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 01, 2015, 02:21:27 PM
This used to happen with my GTI every now and again. I assumed I wasn't getting the nozzle to sit right in the fuel tank or something. Never had it happen on my current car though.

There would be periods when all the pumps would do it, and then the problem would go away by itself.

AutobahnSHO

pressure in the tube, and there is a tiny tube running next to the fill tube to equalize something other yada yada might have been plugged up
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: ifcar on July 01, 2015, 01:44:20 PM

My A4 did that constantly. No matter if the tank was already half full or completely empty, I had to baby the gas in a solid 75% of the time. I don't know why, but it was incredibly frustrating when I had to just stand there trickling gas in...putting in a few gallons was a lonnnnnng ordeal sometimes.

Laconian

German cars want you to put in EXACTLY 13.000000 gallons, not 13.00000001.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 17, 2015, 11:23:44 AM
My A4 did that constantly. No matter if the tank was already half full or completely empty, I had to baby the gas in a solid 75% of the time. I don't know why, but it was incredibly frustrating when I had to just stand there trickling gas in...putting in a few gallons was a lonnnnnng ordeal sometimes.

The M5 is picky like that too. Have to baby the first 10-20 liters.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

giant_mtb

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 17, 2015, 01:02:49 PM
The M5 is picky like that too. Have to baby the first 10-20 liters.

I don't understand why.  Are pumps different over in Zoimany or something or is it just bad luck?

veeman

This German letter/number naming convention thing - don't the letters sound different in German than they do in English?  So while we say Ow-dee Ay-For, what do they say?

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on July 17, 2015, 08:47:51 PM
This German letter/number naming convention thing - don't the letters sound different in German than they do in English?  So while we say Ow-dee Ay-For, what do they say?

Audi itself is pretty much pronounced the same way.  Dunno what their "A" or "4" sound like, though.

Morris Minor

Next time I filled the Infiniti it was fine: swallowed enthusiastically.

:winkguy:

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo