The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

Eye of the Tiger

I don't see why four bangers are so popular. Just look at the success of triples.

Three pistons on THREE angles of crankshaft make the TIME TRIAD. There are three physical dimensions for physical engines. On Earth there can only be three cylinders to make up three simultaneous realities in the Time Triad.

120+120+120=360=sphere=EARTH. Three ways in and three ways out.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 09, 2015, 12:09:31 PM
I think the days of big V6s are numbered. We're all gonna be squeezed into 2.0L 4-bangers with turbo/induction gizmos running at hundreds of PSIs and blast-furnace operating temperatures.

We should treasure our VQs.

(Then they're gonna come for our guns.)

We'll see. As we're seeing turbos haven't quite panned out - look to the new GM 6.2L in trucks, Corvette and Camaro and Camcord V6 vs. the turbo competition...

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 09, 2015, 12:45:30 PM
I don't see why four bangers are so popular. Just look at the success of triples.

Three pistons on THREE angles of crankshaft make the TIME TRIAD. There are three physical dimensions for physical engines. On Earth there can only be three cylinders to make up three simultaneous realities in the Time Triad.

120+120+120=360=sphere=EARTH. Three ways in and three ways out.

CarSPIN is educated stupid. Belly-Button  Logic Works. When   Do  Teenagers  Die? Adults Eat Teenagers Alive, No Record  Of  Their Death.
  Father Son Image, Not Gods. Every Man Born Of Woman.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on October 09, 2015, 01:21:32 PM
CarSPIN is educated stupid. Belly-Button  Logic Works. When   Do  Teenagers  Die? Adults Eat Teenagers Alive, No Record  Of  Their Death.

:wtf: :lol: :clap:

BimmerM3

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on October 09, 2015, 01:21:32 PM

You speak fluent TIMECUBE
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Quote from: afty on October 06, 2015, 09:20:37 PM
My lifetime average MPG in my G35 is 18.2. 
Do you guys put the car in neutral when you have a long wait at a light? I do - thought is that I'm saving a few 10ths not burning gas heating up the slushbox pushing against the brakes.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

afty

Mine's a manual, so yes. The manual is geared pretty short, so I'm sure that's part of it.

12,000 RPM

I thought the manual was geared pretty reasonably. 80 at 6th in the Z was about 3K. In my Civic it's about 4K in 5th lol.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

:cry:

Miss my SHO. 5spd, could almost do 60mph in 2nd and 90mph in 3rd..
Will

Morris Minor

I indulged in a minor bit of frippery on the G37. Replaced the license plate light bulbs with those of the LED variety. It looks good.

AutobahnSHO

RIIIIIIIIIICEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!    :lol:
Will

SVT666

The only real complaints I have about our G is the transmission programming, the noisy ride (though the ride quality is fine), and the quality of the finish on the steering wheel spokes (mine's peeling off).  Otherwise, it's a brilliant car and I love it. 

Laconian

Yeah, the transmission programming sucks :rage:

SVT666

I keep it in manual and I shift with the paddles about 90% of the time.

Laconian

I don't have paddles. :cry:

12,000 RPM

That Z was a beast. A confused beast, but a beast no less. That top gear torque registered high on the giggle scale. I don't miss the heavy lifeless steering or heavy wonky clutch/shifter though.

GoCougs

Meh, the paddles don't aid shift performance though - get the same performance out of the shifter. The programming is crappy to mitigate clunking issues when down shifting. Some cars, like mine, didn't not have the updated firmware - shifted good and strong but was terribly clunky, so I had to get the update (which softened it up). They've fixed AT response in the Q50, including near-DSG response of the paddle shifters (but anything below about 1/3 throttle and response is slow - kinda stupid).

I just hit 90k miles this weekend and getting big service this week. Overall the car has held up remarkably well - leather, paint, etc., plus no major repairs. The only stuff that hasn't held up well is the interior AL trim - scratches and dents (from retracting seat belt slapping up against it for example) easily but there isn't much of it so it's not a big deal. The iPod interface sometimes doesn't sync right (track selection buttons won't work, won't display tracks). I also have scratching on the gauge cluster but that's probably from me not using the best towels to clean it.

The car is very sensitive to tires. The 17" Goodyears on it when I bought it rode beautifully. I upgraded to the 18" factory wheels with Dunlops and they were terrible. I've since gotten Michelin MXM4 non-performance tires and they ride pretty good. I've got like 20k miles on 'em and they're starting to get louder though, as all tires will.

Morris Minor

Quote from: SVT666 on November 30, 2015, 09:48:32 AM
The only real complaints I have about our G is the transmission programming, the noisy ride (though the ride quality is fine), and the quality of the finish on the steering wheel spokes (mine's peeling off).  Otherwise, it's a brilliant car and I love it. 
Same here. The transmission is horrible: thunk, jerk, bang, bump.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on November 30, 2015, 10:25:20 AM
Meh, the paddles don't aid shift performance though - get the same performance out of the shifter.
The nice thing about the paddles is you don't have to take your hand off the wheel.  I've tried shifting it both ways, and the paddles are much more favourable for ease of use.

The programming is crappy to mitigate clunking issues when down shifting.
You know what's weird?  If I downshift by two gears, the clunking is eliminated.

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 30, 2015, 10:23:23 AM
That Z was a beast. A confused beast, but a beast no less. That top gear torque registered high on the giggle scale. I don't miss the heavy lifeless steering or heavy wonky clutch/shifter though.
I have never understood why the Z had heavy shitty steering, but the G has brilliant steering.

12,000 RPM

Steering weight = "feel"

Also it was a twitchy little beast. They probably wanted to dampen the inputs. In the wet I have got a 1st gen G35x to full on drift with TC off, and my Z caught me out ~3x with TC on in the wet. Chassis had some quirks.

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 30, 2015, 11:06:54 AM
Steering weight = "feel"
Huh?

Also it was a twitchy little beast. They probably wanted to dampen the inputs. In the wet I have got a 1st gen G35x to full on drift with TC off, and my Z caught me out ~3x with TC on in the wet. Chassis had some quirks.
The steering in the G is class leading.  It's very communicative, weight is perfect, and it's very precise, and that's on the AWD model.  I'm sure the RWD model is even better.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on November 30, 2015, 11:37:21 AM
Huh?
I am guessing they tuned the Z's steering to be heavy to fool people into thinking it had good feel/feedback.

Quote from: SVT666 on November 30, 2015, 11:37:21 AM
The steering in the G is class leading.  It's very communicative, weight is perfect, and it's very precise, and that's on the AWD model.  I'm sure the RWD model is even better.
The steering in the G was OK. I drove a 1st gen on the spongy all season 17s. Steering feel in my Z was close to nonexistent. Pitching it into a corner required memory and trust. It had grip and good balance but little to no feedback.

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 30, 2015, 11:53:42 AM
I am guessing they tuned the Z's steering to be heavy to fool people into thinking it had good feel/feedback.
The steering in the G was OK. I drove a 1st gen on the spongy all season 17s.
Drive one with 18s and performance tires. Better than the same year 3 series I drove.

Laconian

Steering with Pilot Super Sports is fantastic. Make sure everything's inflated to spec.

Bad or underinflated tires makes the G steering very syrupy (esp. with 19s)

GoCougs

Those with AT shifting problems you may benefit from a flash upgrade. It's a common G37 complaint and discussions of the below TSB are very common on G37 boards. I did the earlier version of this and it solved the clunking problems but it made the up shifts gooey at anything less than WOT. I'm gonna try to get the latest version of this TSB done when my car is in this week. The dealio is you have to ask the dealer to check - their flash machine analyzes if your car qualifies (S/N of the ECU and whatnot), and make sure they check too (sometimes they apparently do not).

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB12-027d.pdf