The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on April 28, 2016, 07:15:11 PM
Can you explain for those of us who can't imagine?

As the catalytic converter gets used/worn the material inside starts to break away and gets sucked into the turbo.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

Also wouldn't it increase the heat going into the turbo?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

I dunno why a small cat would do that, but maybe I don't know enough to know why in the first place.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Morris Minor

When our CLK was being fixed (mostly for a fucked up seatbelt), we had a 2016 C300 for five days: 240hp GDI turbo four. It had tons of torque, & was good fun to push hard, but the NVH was not close to something aspiring to "luxury." The fuel-saving engine stop/start was clunky & jerky, pushing it into unacceptable territory.

I far prefer my G.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on April 28, 2016, 07:15:11 PM
Can you explain for those of us who can't imagine?
Well, first I have to explain what Subaru was trying to accomplish. Catalytic converters work best when they are warm so it's best to have them as close to the engine as possible as exhaust gases cool off the further they are from the engine. I guess our emissions were more stringent than Japan's in 2000 or w/e. So Subaru figured, "we put cat before turbo, we meet emission. Hai! Hai." Problem is, it's not uncommon for a cat to blow chunks of its core or get jammed up over time. So at best you have choked exhaust feeding the turbo, at worst you have blown cat core chunks destroying the turbine. Think of debris flying into a jet engine (sorry). Not good

So they took that shit out and just fed the turbos with untreated exhaust like 100% of other turbo cars and have been OK since.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CJ on April 28, 2016, 01:19:29 PM

I'm a firm believer that Subaru reliability is a total myth.

They're no better/worse than the other Japanese.    Call a transmission shop and say "Honda" and they'll get angry.

A LOT of how cars hold up over time is the clientele- are they likely to do the regular maintenance? or just skip it??

Some skip because they're broke, some because they don't care, others because they're oblivious and think cars just run forever as long as you put gas into it. Obviously the better cared for, the better they last.
Will

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on April 28, 2016, 10:44:43 PM
As the catalytic converter gets used/worn the material inside starts to break away and gets sucked into the turbo.

Oh, that's not good.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 29, 2016, 06:01:34 AM
Well, first I have to explain what Subaru was trying to accomplish. Catalytic converters work best when they are warm so it's best to have them as close to the engine as possible as exhaust gases cool off the further they are from the engine. I guess our emissions were more stringent than Japan's in 2000 or w/e. So Subaru figured, "we put cat before turbo, we meet emission. Hai! Hai." Problem is, it's not uncommon for a cat to blow chunks of its core or get jammed up over time. So at best you have choked exhaust feeding the turbo, at worst you have blown cat core chunks destroying the turbine. Think of debris flying into a jet engine (sorry). Not good

So they took that shit out and just fed the turbos with untreated exhaust like 100% of other turbo cars and have been OK since.

Hmm. That's interesting. I wonder why they didn't think of that before moving the cat.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Morris Minor

Hmm, jury's still out, but from what I've seen (using a speedometer app) the speedo on the G shows about 2 mph over. That's on my commute where I rarely exceed 55.

CaminoRacer

4% error is on the large side but not too bad. Most of my cars have been 2-3% off.

MexicoCityM3

My cars are much worse. The error is easily above 5%.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Been meaning to check this on my bike. Almost certain it's over by like 10%

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 06, 2016, 07:05:25 AM
Hmm, jury's still out, but from what I've seen (using a speedometer app) the speedo on the G shows about 2 mph over. That's on my commute where I rarely exceed 55.

My car is the exact same - reads consistently 2-3 mph high from 25-75 mph (the speed ranges I've checked). Thing is it doesn't appear to be a % (like days of old, when speedos where actuated by gears, which begs for a % error).

afty

Quote from: GoCougs on July 06, 2016, 10:03:46 AM
My car is the exact same - reads consistently 2-3 mph high from 25-75 mph (the speed ranges I've checked). Thing is it doesn't appear to be a % (like days of old, when speedos where actuated by gears, which begs for a % error).
Same experience on mine.  Consistent 2-3 mph over, no matter how fast I'm going.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 06, 2016, 08:39:18 AM
Been meaning to check this on my bike. Almost certain it's over by like 10%

Bikes seem to be really bad. I'm not sure why - shouldn't be any different than an old car with a gear driven speedo. I got my El Camino within 2% with a simple gear swap.

Morris Minor

Quote from: afty on July 06, 2016, 12:36:13 PM
Same experience on mine.  Consistent 2-3 mph over, no matter how fast I'm going.
Yup that's what I'm seeing. The margin is the same whether at 25 or 65

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 06, 2016, 03:36:37 PM
Bikes seem to be really bad. I'm not sure why - shouldn't be any different than an old car with a gear driven speedo. I got my El Camino within 2% with a simple gear swap.
I'm thinking bike tires vary a good bit more with wear, so they may try and average things out. I'm pretty sure my bike overreports though, even with a brand new tire, and that would get worse as the tire wears. I really wish I could just dump the dash completely and get something Android based, but I can't figure out what to do about the tachometer.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 08, 2016, 02:41:50 PM
I'm thinking bike tires vary a good bit more with wear, so they may try and average things out. I'm pretty sure my bike overreports though, even with a brand new tire, and that would get worse as the tire wears. I really wish I could just dump the dash completely and get something Android based, but I can't figure out what to do about the tachometer.

Bluetooth tach sensor :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 07, 2016, 10:34:26 AM
Yup that's what I'm seeing. The margin is the same whether at 25 or 65

Probably to defeat any margin of error for low tires etc... so the manufacturers don't have to deal with legal issues from people suing over tickets. :huh:
Will

GoCougs

So I have a QX50 service loaner. I had high hopes for this as a replacement for the G, esp. after a friend has me almost talked out of VW products. Reviews have been great for MY2016 (longer wheelbase, added refinement). I was expecting a raised G with a lift back and 95% the driving experience. Well, it most definitely isn't that. It's definitely an SUV with maybe 75% of the driving experience.

1.) Though still kinda quick it's noticeably slower than the G - it's ~150 lbs heavier (already known) and gearing is a good 10% taller (not known)
2.) Brakes are squishy (G has this problem too)
3.) Engine and exhaust is much quieter
4.) Sit in it like a truck - much more upright

The QX50 does have added refinement, esp. ride quality and way less road noise, that the G could have used in its later years.

I was hoping this would be it but it's not the contender it was. I would benefit from a bit more ground clearance and storage space but I'll have to think whether it's mandatory. For now, the Golf R is back on top.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: GoCougs on August 04, 2016, 09:41:55 PM
....... esp. after a friend has me almost talked out of VW products....

Char?
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

GoCougs

Uh, no ;).

He had two Jettas - and mountains of problems that shouldn't exist, like front suspension rebuilds and electronic problems. His last was a diesel and the whole system fell apart at about 80k.

Golf isn't a Jetta however, so that is in my favor.

12,000 RPM

Q50's infotainment needs to enter the current century.... does it even Bluetooth?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: GoCougs on August 04, 2016, 09:41:55 PM
For now, the Golf R is back on top.

Is this just theoretical or are you actually car shopping?

I haven't been to a VW dealer yet but this is a car I would like to try out as well.

giant_mtb

Need ground clearance?

GoCougs

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 05, 2016, 06:21:05 AM
Is this just theoretical or are you actually car shopping?

I haven't been to a VW dealer yet but this is a car I would like to try out as well.

Half and half - thinking about it but can't hugely justify it, esp. that the G works just dandy and is a great car to drive, which is the case with even fewer cars today than when I bought it in 2012 (the Golf R is one of them, esp. that it isn't poisoned with insane amounts of infotainment). I'm off to get my car and will try to score a test drive of the Q50 Red Sport.

AutobahnSHO

Will

Morris Minor

My G is coming up to 60,000 miles. It's still solid & fast. My complaints are the same as they've always been (shitty transmission unless in sport mode). The car I lust after is the new Audi A4 but my head says I should be saving my money for boring things like retirement.

Cookie Monster

Why the A4? I thought it was a boring car now.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

I just test drove the Q50 Red Sport 400. It's legit - taught, quiet, solid, responsive (including the AT) and very fast. Engine and exhaust note are fantastic - muted but fits the car - don't get the complaints on that. Lag is definitely there however. Luckily most of the cars did not have the steer-by-wire (which is a standalone option this year).

I'm amazed none of the big auto mags have done a legit review on one, let alone have one in a comparo. I'm really interested in the accel numbers