The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

Morris Minor

Quote from: Cookie Monster on August 05, 2016, 03:58:08 PM
Why the A4? I thought it was a boring car now.
Probably my age: veering to boring. But I like the looks, the silence, the technology & the pretty decent performance.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on August 05, 2016, 04:19:22 PM
I just test drove the Q50 Red Sport 400. It's legit - taught, quiet, solid, responsive (including the AT) and very fast. Engine and exhaust note are fantastic - muted but fits the car - don't get the complaints on that. Lag is definitely there however. Luckily most of the cars did not have the steer-by-wire (which is a standalone option this year).

I'm amazed none of the big auto mags have done a legit review on one, let alone have one in a comparo. I'm really interested in the accel numbers
C&D did a test this month. Just got my issue. 0-60 in 4.5, quarter in the high 12s, grip in the high 0.8s.

Thing could be a serious drivers car if they gave it a DCT, better tires, and more serious brakes/suspension. It can run with the previous M3 in a straight line no problem.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

Motortrend did an ignition episode on one but I think it had steer by wire and they hated that and lack of a dif
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

afty

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 06, 2016, 08:02:21 AM
C&D did a test this month. Just got my issue. 0-60 in 4.5, quarter in the high 12s, grip in the high 0.8s.
C&D was more positive than Motor Trend.  They liked the engine (lots of power, pretty smooth until close to redline), but they disliked the steer-by-wire (though they said it was "a major improvement" over the initial version).  Here are their numbers:
0-60: 4.5
0-100: 10.5
1/4-mile: 13.0 @ 112 mph
Skidpad: 0.88g

I also wish Infiniti had gone one step further with this car.  With better tires, a better transmission, and an LSD, it could be a decent alternative to an S4 or even an M3.

12,000 RPM

I mean all that $$$ they spent developing the GT-R.... time to recoup. 13 flat is def fast enough to warrant a DCT. I thought my Z was fast enough to warrant a DCT.

GoCougs

Saw the write-up in C&D on the Q50S RS400 in the September issue. It was only a "first drive" summary. They spent about half the article droning on about the steer-by-wire system (in short, it's better but still sucky) and didn't say much else. It was also a RWD model so I suspect the AWD model will be a bit quicker. Accel times are virtually identical to the S550 Mustang GT M/T...

Morris Minor

I took the G on the freeway on Sunday - 30 mile journey in light traffic. It's so rare that it gets a chance to stretch its legs - forgot how fast it is - good fun.

95% of the time though a Prius would be a more sensible car.

12,000 RPM

We don't remember or revel in the "sensible" moments in life.....

Morris Minor

Cookie Monster

That is pretty cool. The only thing is I don't like the brake light also doubling as the turn signal. It can get confusing for other drivers.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Ive thought the "tail as turn" looks less modern, not more modern.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on September 20, 2016, 10:30:54 AM
Ive thought the "tail as turn" looks less modern, not more modern.

I think all they mean by "modern" is that it uses LED instead of the center incandescent.  I'd rather throw in LED blinkers than turn my brake lights into blinkers.  Same price, if not cheaper.

$13/bulb.  Dunno if a G uses 3157s, but.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/3157-led-bulb-dual-function-18-smd-led-tower-wedge-retrofit-car/802/

Morris Minor

If you do a straight replacement of the incandescent with an LED, do't you also have to splice in a resistor?

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 21, 2016, 04:29:04 PM
If you do a straight replacement of the incandescent with an LED, do't you also have to splice in a resistor?

Check your G forums. On a lot of cars, there's a relay that controls the rate of flash. If you swap to LED bulbs, sometimes you can just also swap in a different flasher relay. I did that on the brz. Nice and easy and no splicing.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Or you can sometimes find an LED with a built in resistor.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 21, 2016, 04:29:04 PM

That, or put in an LED compatible flasher, as mentioned above.  Pretty sure they're compatible with incandescent bulbs, too, if your front blinkers are still filament types.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flashers-load-resistors/filter/Type,LED_Car_Flasher,60,3607:Type,LED_Motorcycle_Flasher,60,3608:

12,000 RPM

As an energy efficiency buff I take issue with adding a resistor to an LED light. There has to be a better way.

Morris Minor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 22, 2016, 12:56:21 AM
As an energy efficiency buff I take issue with adding a resistor to an LED light. There has to be a better way.
Agreed. (I do wonder why manufacturers mix incandescent with LED in their light clusters. The G is a good example.)

12,000 RPM

I'm thinking it's cost. I would bet the LEDs are single brightness while the incandescents vary. Either way kind of dumb.

They do need to work on LED brightness though. I recall being in a traffic jam getting onto the Lincoln Tunnel at night getting a bit fatigued from LED taillights. They need to dim them for night use.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 22, 2016, 12:56:21 AM

The only reason a resistor is needed is to make the flash relay "feel" the LED.  You can put an LED just about anywhere else on a car with no resistor necessary (interior, brake light, etc).  That's why they make LED flasher relays. The circuit just wasn't designed for it.

Every LED circuit has some sort of resistor built into it. Look at the ballasts needed for LED headlight bulbs.  If the supply voltage is equal to the LED voltage drop, you don't need a resistor.  But since cars are all 12V...they pretty much all have resistors since LEDs run in the 2ish volt range.

Not sure if automakers use low-V circuits for their standard LED headlights and such or if they're still just rockin 12V with resistors.

12,000 RPM

Oh I know why they do it, I just don't agree

Morris Minor

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 20, 2016, 06:54:23 AM
This is intriguing. Worth $40?

2009-2014 Infiniti G37 Sedan Tail as Turn™ Module (Pair)
http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/catalog/product/view/id/24147/s/2009-2014-infiniti-g37-sedan-tail-as-turntm-module-pair/category/1441/

I sprung the $40 and installed the kit. Very very straightforward. It works as advertised.

Side note, I was following an Infiniti QX something or other yesterday; he turned right twice, I was following his route. I remember thinking he was another lame idiot who does not use his turn signal. Then I realised his turn signal *was* on; I just could not see it buried & invisible in the dazzle of his LED brake light cluster.

GoCougs

It does look better. I have to admit the my sense of rectallinearism would still be askew in light of the front incandescent turn signals and fog lights. Not sure why the Japanese luxury marques have been so slow to adopt LED turn signals (esp. whilst having had LED brake lights for quite some time).

Related to lights I replaced my HID bulbs in the hopes of seeing better at night. The brights might be better but I still can't see very well when it's dark and raining. I had the headlights professionally restored a couple of weeks ago (grind/polish/coating/film) and that I don't think helped much either. IIHS had a recent study showing the majority of cars had terrible headlights (of the dozens of cars tested only one had the top rating - the Prius with the LED package). Thing is I don't remember having night + rain vision problem in my previous car (that only had halogens) nor ~5 years ago when I bought the G. It's really only surfaced the last ~18 months. Some swear that restoration of headlights doesn't work well - the factory coating + plastic + surface finish can't be replicated, and it takes the right combo to make it work well. Whatevs - factory headlights are ~$1,000/side for the G37 :facepalm:.  I got glasses earlier in the year and that actually helped but then again I had a QX50 loaner about a month ago and its headlights were fantastic - no problems.

As an aside, I had to take the front wheels off to get to the bulbs, and it turns out the lug nuts were wasted. I barely got them off - I had to hammer on the socket to get it stay engaged, and then had to beat the bad lug nut of the socket. From the looks of it they're pretty soft for some reason - nothing like a legit bolt. Luckily the dealer had some but not enough for the whole car. I bought 5 and ordered the rest online.

Eye of the Tiger

I don't know specifically about Nissan, but decorative-chrome-capped lug nuts are a fucking joke. Yeah, let's put a soft decorative layer on a hex nut that is required to withstand 100-200 lb-ft of torque with whatever size socket the numbskull at the tire shop feels like using with their impact gun set to maximum. Chrysler vehicles definitely have a problem with them. I recommend genuine metal, one piece nuts.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

On another note, I hereby submit my position as a member on The G-Spot. Versa = G16
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on November 06, 2016, 08:44:01 AM
It does look better. I have to admit the my sense of rectallinearism would still be askew in light of the front incandescent turn signals and fog lights. Not sure why the Japanese luxury marques have been so slow to adopt LED turn signals (esp. whilst having had LED brake lights for quite some time).

Related to lights I replaced my HID bulbs in the hopes of seeing better at night. The brights might be better but I still can't see very well when it's dark and raining. I had the headlights professionally restored a couple of weeks ago (grind/polish/coating/film) and that I don't think helped much either. IIHS had a recent study showing the majority of cars had terrible headlights (of the dozens of cars tested only one had the top rating - the Prius with the LED package). Thing is I don't remember having night + rain vision problem in my previous car (that only had halogens) nor ~5 years ago when I bought the G. It's really only surfaced the last ~18 months. Some swear that restoration of headlights doesn't work well - the factory coating + plastic + surface finish can't be replicated, and it takes the right combo to make it work well. Whatevs - factory headlights are ~$1,000/side for the G37 :facepalm:.  I got glasses earlier in the year and that actually helped but then again I had a QX50 loaner about a month ago and its headlights were fantastic - no problems.

As an aside, I had to take the front wheels off to get to the bulbs, and it turns out the lug nuts were wasted. I barely got them off - I had to hammer on the socket to get it stay engaged, and then had to beat the bad lug nut of the socket. From the looks of it they're pretty soft for some reason - nothing like a legit bolt. Luckily the dealer had some but not enough for the whole car. I bought 5 and ordered the rest online.
Your reflector bowls may be burnt. I know you hate aftermarket shit but a pair of new aftermarket headlights runs about $500/pair and is built to OEM spec. No go if you have the technology package (I'm guessing they have some kind of aftermarket steering).

If you are feeling adventurous you could open your headlights up and replace the projectors. There are companies that would do that work for you for like $500 I'm guessing (though you would need some dummy headlights in the interim)

GoCougs

These were factory lug nuts. Spec is 80 lb-ft. Perhaps they're soft to prevent over torque. My wheels do come on and off a lot what with AWD rotation schedule and snow tire swaps over 108,000 miles of life. Whatevs, easy if but pricey fix (~$10/each). Infiniti in their lit of course says not to use aftermarket lug nuts...

I've talked to the dealer and they said they never hear complaints about G35/G37 headlights, and this model first debuted 10 years ago now. If I get a chance to drive a newer G37 I'll do that - I've spent enough on this thing recently (full detail, new HID bulbs, new lug nuts) so no new headlights unless I 100% know that's the issue. I don't really have a problem in the dry so I just think it is my night vision. Jesus.

12,000 RPM

I am a bit of a headlight freak and I have never heard of issues with the G's headlights. It could also be your ballasts (though again those usually completely fail; not fade). Age is a "b" :lol:

GoCougs

I have amblyopia in one eye (brain problem, not an eye problem). Basically makes vision very dim in that eye and I've been told I have no depth perception as a result. With the natural decrease in vision with age, it has probably affected me more.

SJ_GTI

My mom's TSX (first gen) had its headlights lenses get pretty bad. My brother tried to refinish them but it didn't last. We ended up buying her new headlights for Xmas one year. I think they were aftermarket because they weren't that expensive (maybe ~500 for the pair? included the entire assembly, the lenses, and the bulbs of course). They have held up pretty well over the last few years FWIW.