which studded tire

Started by MaxPower, November 02, 2005, 02:21:55 PM

MaxPower

I'm trying to find studded snow tires for my finace's 1992 Toyota Camry.  I've quoted TireRack, Tires.com, and a local place and have a few questions.

Which tire is better? Daytona Winterforce or Hankook W404?  Winterforces are less expensive.

Also, her brother had an older Jetta with studded snow tires.  They've got one more winter in them and they are her's if they'll work.  Providing the bolt pattern is the same, can you bolt on 185/60-R14 from a Jetta onto a Camry that normally has stock 185/70-R14?  Is the width of the wheel going to be a problem?

Run Away

Why not buy wheels for your brother's tires?

MaxPower

QuoteWhy not buy wheels for your brother's tires?
thats a thought.  

Pancor

Well, A '92 Camry won't have the same bolt pattern as any Jetta....

280Z Turbo

QuoteAlso, her brother had an older Jetta with studded snow tires.  They've got one more winter in them and they are her's if they'll work.  Providing the bolt pattern is the same, can you bolt on 185/60-R14 from a Jetta onto a Camry that normally has stock 185/70-R14?  Is the width of the wheel going to be a problem?

Not sure about winter tires. We've always used all seasons.

The width of the tire is the same, it's the sidewall that is smaller on the Jetta. Both tires are supposed to have a tread that is 18.5 cm wide. The Jetta has a sidewall that is 60% of 18.5 cm and the Camry has a sidewall that is 70% of 18.5 cm. The lower sidewall will probably look weird, throw off your speedometer and alter the gear ratio.

If the bolt pattern was the same (probably isn't), the offset would also have to be compatible (probably would be).