Problem starting in morning

Started by SaltyDog, November 02, 2005, 03:22:17 PM

SaltyDog

For the 2nd day in a row the Buick did not start right up in the morning.  Starting it has never been a problem.  The wierd thing is it did not struggle to turn over.  When I turned the key to ignition nothing happens.  It is completely silent(no turning over) for a couple seconds before it fires up with no hesitation.  Again, this only happened in the morning after sitting for 12 hours.  The coldest it's getting at night is maybe 45F so I don't think that's a factor.  I'm thinking maybe a bad battery.  I've had the same one in for a long time.  However, I would expect to hear the engine struggling to turn over before starting if that were the case.  Oh, another thing I just thought of.  The "security"(I think that's what it's called) light on the dash has been there for atleast a year.  I remember looking up common symptoms for this and seeing ignition lock cylinder as commonly failing on GM cars of this age.  It never affected anything so I've let it go.  Probably stupid on my part, however it has passed inspection.  Maybe unnoticed, I don't know.  Any ideas?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

saxonyron

I'd definitely look at the ignition switch.  If it were the battery, it would not start right up with no hesitation.  Sounds like a loose wire/bad switch.  A friend of mine had that happen on his Chevy 5 or 6 yrs ago.  Don't remember the model year, but it was a bad ignition switch in the steering column.  I imagine the dealer is pretty good at fixing this by now.  ;)  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

SaltyDog

Thanks Sax, I'll keep that in mind.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

SaltyDog

Hmm, anyway I could remove the ignition switch and start the car keylessly?  Remove the ignition lock?  Would a faulty ignition switch then not matter?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

saxonyron

I know some people who can help you with that, but I'd have to clear it with their probation officers first!  :lol:

It's done day in and day out in "60 seconds" by car thieves, so I imagine you should  be able to do it yourself.  I know my friend was using a mini pair of vice grips as his "key" to turn the ignition with his Chevy.  I've never done it myself, but again, it can't be too hard.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

footoflead

QuoteI know some people who can help you with that, but I'd have to clear it with their probation officers first!  :lol:

It's done day in and day out in "60 seconds" by car thieves, so I imagine you should  be able to do it yourself.  I know my friend was using a mini pair of vice grips as his "key" to turn the ignition with his Chevy.  I've never done it myself, but again, it can't be too hard.
:lol:  :D  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

Check your main batter cables/grounds.

SaltyDog

QuoteI know some people who can help you with that, but I'd have to clear it with their probation officers first!  :lol:

I think I might just do that if this gets worse/continues.  It shouldn't be too hard to do and it would be nice not carrying a key around :rockon:  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

SaltyDog

QuoteCheck your main batter cables/grounds.
I don't think it's the battery.  Are you suggesting the connection might be loose making it connect off and on?  Hmmm, maybe.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

J86

trouble starting in the morning?  Try coffee.

SaltyDog

Quotetrouble starting in the morning?  Try coffee.
That's a no-no.  Caffeine is addictive and bad for you imo.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

280Z Turbo

My Z did that, and it got so bad that I rigged up a racecar-like starter switch out of a spare power antenna switch. It looks stock and works pretty slick!

It's probably just a corroded conection at the battery or starter.

SaltyDog

QuoteMy Z did that, and it got so bad that I rigged up a racecar-like starter switch out of a spare power antenna switch. It looks stock and works pretty slick!

It's probably just a corroded conection at the battery or starter.
I don't want to make you type a lot, but can you explain how you did it?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

J86

TBR

Quotetrouble starting in the morning?  Try coffee.
That's a no-no.  Caffeine is addictive and bad for you imo.
I agree, that is why I try to stick to caffeine free drinks, I treat myself to a Pepsi (the only caffeinated drink I really like) only once a month or so, but otherwise keep away. But, to go back on topic:

QuoteI know some people who can help you with that, but I'd have to clear it with their probation officers first!  :lol:

It's done day in and day out in "60 seconds" by car thieves, so I imagine you should  be able to do it yourself.  I know my friend was using a mini pair of vice grips as his "key" to turn the ignition with his Chevy.  I've never done it myself, but again, it can't be too hard.

I know someone who used to have a 1989 Chevy C1500 pickup. He had a leatherman in a cubby in the dashboard, in order to start it he just had to push it in a little and the engine roared to life (sort of, by the time I came to know him it was a little rough for wear. He might even still have it, last time I checked he was having a hard time getting rid of it due to the horrible condition in is in).

280Z Turbo

QuoteZ I am so stealing your car!
You would need the key to turn it to "on" and unlock the column.

Only the starter runs off of my switch. The switch has two wires. One goes to the starter, the other runs to a constant ( + wire). You turn it to "on", flick the switch (it's the springy kind), and it fires up.

No more clicky when I turn the key.

giant_mtb

QuoteCheck your main batter cables/grounds.
I don't think it's the battery.  Are you suggesting the connection might be loose making it connect off and on?  Hmmm, maybe.
I'm not saying it's the battery, the battery cables could be worn out, though.

SaltyDog

No problem yesterday or today.  So the case is closed...for now atleast.  Thanks for the help guys.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club