I maybe can get a deal on a 1948 Dodge.

Started by shp4man, January 25, 2013, 01:29:13 PM

shp4man

This isn't the car, but it's in fairly decent original condition, with a good flathead 6, wool upholstery, wide whites. Nice
It has a problem with the cloth covered wiring shorting out, so it needs a harness. Not sure about it, but I could take it for way under book value.

hotrodalex

Way under book value, as in what? $5000?

Those are pretty neat. :ohyeah:

shp4man

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 25, 2013, 01:36:06 PM
Way under book value, as in what? $5000?

Those are pretty neat. :ohyeah:

Half that. Or less.

Raza

Looks like it's in better condition than some modern cars I've seen for $2500 or less.  Why not?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

shp4man

These cars had a thing called "Fluid Drive" that was basically a normal clutch and 3 speed transmission with a torque converter mounted behind the engine. So you don't have to push in the clutch at stoplights.  :lol:
The dash is metal with some kind of woodgrain photo print on it, as you can see in the dash pic. I suppose the technology to do that is lost in time. Also all the dash knobs are like ancient ivory or something. Plus it smells really good inside there. Ancient wool?  :lol:
It's an interesting car.
It's really slow as it only has about 100 horsepower and weighs 2 tons.

Eye of the Tiger

I can appreciate all the old tech about that car, but it would be soooo tempting to drop an LS7 in it. Keep the whitewalls, though. :devil:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on January 25, 2013, 02:10:20 PM
These cars had a thing called "Fluid Drive" that was basically a normal clutch and 3 speed transmission with a torque converter mounted behind the engine. So you don't have to push in the clutch at stoplights.  :lol:
The dash is metal with some kind of woodgrain photo print on it, as you can see in the dash pic. I suppose the technology to do that is lost in time. Also all the dash knobs are like ancient ivory or something. Plus it smells really good inside there. Ancient wool?  :lol:
It's an interesting car.
A friend of mine had, I believe, a '50 Dodge with fluid drive.  You could leave it in any gear and stop.  Starting in 3rd, practically, required someone getting out and pushing until it gained a bit of momentum.  Love the old dash and interiors but you'll need to drop a Hemi in it if you want to keep up with traffic.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 25, 2013, 02:25:51 PM
I can appreciate all the old tech about that car, but it would be soooo tempting to drop an LS7 in it. Keep the whitewalls, though. :devil:
Sacrilege! 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

hotrodalex

$2500 is a screamin' deal. No reason not to!

(Don't be like my dad - he had a lead on a VW Beetle for like $2000 and took too long to think about it!)

Submariner

Quote from: shp4man on January 25, 2013, 02:10:20 PM
It's an interesting car.

How does that work?  Do you just leave it in gear or do you simply shift the column to 1st?  What exactly is the clutch used for? 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

shp4man

Quote from: Submariner on January 25, 2013, 04:38:22 PM
How does that work?  Do you just leave it in gear or do you simply shift the column to 1st?  What exactly is the clutch used for? 

You have to shift to 1st, but at your leisure. Plus, you could just dump the clutch and the car would take off normally and in second gear if you're lazy as hell. Very cutting edge. ;)

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

mzziaz

Yup, awesome car. Get it, fix it, and if you don't like it you can flip it for a profit.
Cuore Sportivo

shp4man

The deal fell through.  :cry: The guys dad wants it now.