Best car for ~$6kish

Started by 850CSi, February 01, 2013, 07:43:22 PM

850CSi

Going to need to buy my wife a car this summer. Was contemplating leasing something, but I think going used is the better option. Don't want to finance, and we think we'll probably have around $5k to spend. My uncle is a dealer/goes to auctions so I'll be able to stretch that $5k - I'd say anything with a KBB private party value of $6-7k and under will be realistic.

Important factors:
1. Reliability (Since she can't drive my car, I need something that won't break down - and if it does, it needs to be relatively cheap to fix)
2. Slushbox ( :( - but if this wasn't a requirement, this would be a "best fun car I can flog for $3k" thread)

(and that's really it, other things that are relevant:)
3. Gas mileage (her commute will be relatively short, so I won't automatically rule out something that isn't very good on gas. But it would be nice to have something that does better than my car so I could put less mileage on my car and travel with this one)
4. Not a Camry or a Corolla (just don't like them)
5. Not hideous
6. Not shitty on the inside

I'm thinking pretty much something like a Civic, Focus, or Mazda 3. Alternatively, it seems like you can find really good deals on RLs, TLs, and Exploders.

(If it wasn't a potential maintenance nightmare, I'd just buy her an E39)

What do y'all think?

Rupert

I wouldn't get an Explorer. <_<

I think you have it right. The boring reliable cheap cars are the same as they're been in every other thread on this topic ever. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

850CSi

The question for me is this: just how reliable is an almost-decade old Civic/[insert Japanese econobox here]? I mean can I literally expect to pick one up with like 120k miles, put another 40k miles on it over 3 years, and not run into any major repairs?

I'm also wondering if there's anything I should watch out for re: cars that have particularly high insurance rates.

SVT666

Explorer is good.  I really like it and it's very reliable and comfortable, but if you want good gas mileage, it should be pretty low on the list.

SVT666

Quote from: 850CSi on February 01, 2013, 07:50:25 PM
The question for me is this: just how reliable is an almost-decade old Civic/[insert Japanese econobox here]? I mean can I literally expect to pick one up with like 120k miles, put another 40k miles on it over 3 years, and not run into any major repairs?

I'm also wondering if there's anything I should watch out for re: cars that have particularly high insurance rates.
Civic is probably your best bet for high mileage reliability.

Rupert

Quote from: 850CSi on February 01, 2013, 07:50:25 PM
I mean can I literally expect to pick one up with like 120k miles, put another 40k miles on it over 3 years, and not run into any major repairs?

Define major, but no.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Payman

She doesn't have to be stuck with an econobox in that price range. Last gen Toyota Celica, Mitsu Eclipse like I posted, Hyundai Tiburon, etc are good options if she wants some style with her reliability and economy.

850CSi

Hmm it seems like Foci with around the same age/mileage as my car are attainable. I think that's probably the way to go.

850CSi

Quote from: Rockraven on February 01, 2013, 08:04:18 PM
She doesn't have to be stuck with an econobox in that price range. Last gen Toyota Celica, Mitsu Eclipse like I posted, Hyundai Tiburon, etc are good options if she wants some style with her reliability and economy.

I was surprised at how cheap that Eclipse was.

I don't think she cares that much honestly. If it was a matter of taste, I'd be looking at SUVs because I think she likes those the most. (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ctd/3512664990.html - if maintaining it wouldn't cost me like $10k over three years, I'd simply buy her one of those because she loves them)

Obviously if I can get her something nice like a TL or RL at a minimal premium, I'd prefer that.

Payman

Quote from: 850CSi on February 01, 2013, 08:05:58 PM
I was surprised at how cheap that Eclipse was.

I don't think she cares that much honestly. If it was a matter of taste, I'd be looking at SUVs because I think she likes those the most.

Obviously if I can get her something nice like a TL or RL at a minimal premium, I'd prefer that.

Toyota Rav4, Honda CR-V, Ford Escape?

ifcar

Focus and Elantra are probably be your best bets at that price point; figure in the 2005 range. $6,000 is probably too low for a nice Mazda3 or Civic.

And if fuel economy isn't a priority, the fleet queen domestic family sedans are usually available pretty cheap and have decent reliability records, and make for fine highway cars. The Century/Regal and Taurus/Sable are rated the highest of the crop in the CR reliability study, of the ones available for under $6,000 that aren't already bound to be ancient and high-mileage.

850CSi

Quote from: ifcar on February 01, 2013, 08:09:46 PM
Focus and Elantra are probably be your best bets at that price point; figure in the 2005 range. $6,000 is probably too low for a nice Mazda3 or Civic.

This is what I'm finding as well - seems like the Civic/3 hold their value much better than the Focus does.

QuoteAnd if fuel economy isn't a priority, the fleet queen domestic family sedans are usually available pretty cheap and have decent reliability records, and make for fine highway cars. The Century/Regal and Taurus/Sable are rated the highest of the crop in the CR reliability study, of the ones available for under $6,000 that aren't already bound to be ancient and high-mileage.

Will look into this.

Quote from: Rockraven on February 01, 2013, 08:08:56 PM
Toyota Rav4, Honda CR-V, Ford Escape?

These look like good options and I think she actually likes the Escape.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

850CSi

Hmm I'll have to talk to her and see if she likes the idea of a small SUV enough that it's worth sacrificing 7 or 8 mpg. But I showed her the Escape and she actually liked it a lot.

My impression that something like a 1st or 2nd gen Range Rover would be an unmitigated maintenance disaster is well-founded, correct? i.e., there's a reason why this is so cheap: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3534550266.html

850CSi

Whoa, CR-Vs appear to be depreciation-busting missiles at first glance. Those things look like they really hold their value well.

Payman

Quote from: 850CSi on February 01, 2013, 08:30:52 PM
Hmm I'll have to talk to her and see if she likes the idea of a small SUV enough that it's worth sacrificing 7 or 8 mpg. But I showed her the Escape and she actually liked it a lot.

My impression that something like a 1st or 2nd gen Range Rover would be an unmitigated maintenance disaster is well-founded, correct? i.e., there's a reason why this is so cheap: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3534550266.html

Yeah, they are pretty reliable, but parts are very expensive. I've had my eye on a few Discoverys in the $7-8k price range. I think I'd like one for a winter vehicle and some light off-loading.

850CSi

Quote from: Rockraven on February 01, 2013, 08:39:30 PM
Yeah, they are pretty reliable, but parts are very expensive. I've had my eye on a few Discoverys in the $7-8k price range. I think I'd like one for a winter vehicle and some light off-loading.

IIRC the Discos are more reliable than the Range Rovers (though we had a Disco and it was a nightmare - but this was in a 3rd world country and I don't think the mechanic had any idea what the fuck he was doing). I've heard terrible things about those BMW Range Rovers.

I'll get her a 3rd gen 4-5 years from now when we won't go broke if the damn thing breaks down. :lol: (RR is her favorite car)

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

850CSi

Quote from: Rockraven on February 01, 2013, 08:45:06 PM
Whoa, show her this one. Reeeaaallll nice!

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Land%20Rover/Freelander/OAKVILLE/Ontario/5_15369417_20100827074346686/?showcpo=ShowCPO

lol, I showed her freelanders and she said she likes the Escape more.

I don't get it, but whatever. :lol:

68_427

The five speed auto in the TL will explode.  Will explode.
'racecar is die'
no

850CSi

Quote from: 68_427 on February 01, 2013, 08:47:02 PM
Mazda 6.  Done.

Love those cars. Only reservation is my sister had one and she flipped it on the highway. I won't forget that drive to the hospital - I was doing triple digits and passed her flipped car in the shoulder. She apparently just crawled out and didn't get so much as a scratch.

It was a white 4 cyl. Really nice car.

850CSi

Quote from: 68_427 on February 01, 2013, 08:49:04 PM
The five speed auto in the TL will explode.  Will explode.

Good to know. Does that also apply to Accords of that period? Civics used a 4-speed I think.

68_427

You can get a loaded one for that price too.
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Quote from: 850CSi on February 01, 2013, 08:51:04 PM
Good to know. Does that also apply to Accords of that period? Civics used a 4-speed I think.

V6 fwd Hondas have terrible transmissions.
'racecar is die'
no

850CSi

She likes the 6.

6, Escape, and Focus are the presumptive front runners. I *think* if I have her drive both, she'll prefer the way the 6 drives.

I'd much rather have the 6 because it has better gas mileage, it would become our travel car, and I wouldn't mind driving it at all on said trips.