I'm looking at this tomorrow

Started by Raza , November 03, 2005, 04:57:49 PM

TBR

That isn't bad at all, a public university in the USA will run you $4.5-6k a year, but only if you live in state. Out of state tuition is in the $20k+ range.

93JC

They're all public here, fortunately. Out-of-country students have to pay roughly double the tuition.

Colonel Cadillac

QuoteI'm aiming for any IVY I can get into--if I get in, then I'll worry about the money.
I am not racking up $100,000+ in student loans in order to go to a college that is really only slightly better than my public choice (UVA).
UVA is a very good college though.  

TBR

No offense, but do people actually go to Canada specifically to go to college there? (from non-NA countries that is).

93JC

Fuck yeah. Especially from overseas, out of North America.

Raza

QuoteThat isn't bad at all, a public university in the USA will run you $4.5-6k a year, but only if you live in state. Out of state tuition is in the $20k+ range.
Not 4.5K to 6K a year, that's per semester, even for a top 50 school--the value for money on education is incredible.  Considering I would have to spend three to four times that to get a better business education.  PSU, though not the ideal school, is the best value if you're in this state.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

In that case Cornell will actually run you $60k per year  :o (I assumed they were by year since princetonreview.com didn't say otherwise).

Raza

QuoteIn that case Cornell will actually run you $60k per year  :o (I assumed they were by year since princetonreview.com didn't say otherwise).
I guess so...I go to a state school, so I know how much it costs.

I remember when I was applying to schools, the most expensive school (cost of living factored in) was NYU, at 37K and change per semester.  At the time, I had applied early decision to it, however, I was rejected.

Bastards.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

QuoteIn that case Cornell will actually run you $60k per year  :o (I assumed they were by year since princetonreview.com didn't say otherwise).
I doubt that, 60K is just too much. At max I bet it's 45K

Colonel Cadillac

It says tuition is $31,000.  

saxonyron

Gotta love the state schools.  Univ of NH is a top 100 school and runs around $10K:

U.S. News ranking: National Universities, 97

2005-2006 Expenses
Tuition and fees: $9,778 in-state, $21,498 out-of-state
Room/board: $7,032

My 1st semester's tuition at UMass Lowell (Univ of Lowell at the time) ran a staggering $380!  :o  I commuted from home, so cost of books and tuition was in the neighborhood of $1k/yr.  Not bad for the education I got!  It was known as a very good engineering school.  A friend of mine went to Boston Univ the same time for $16k including room and board (this is waaayyyy back in 1982 - Freshman year, BTW).  I was Mech Eng., he was Elec Eng.  He partied  his way to a mid semester flunk out and switched to communications - BU wanted his dough, so bent over backwards to keep him around.  ULowell couldn't care less about the dough, so I ended up getting a damn good rigorous education.  Fall off the wagon, they'd boot your ass out.  70 of us graduated out of a starting class of over 270.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

TBR

QuoteIt says tuition is $31,000.
Per semester. $31000x2=$62000

BMWDave

Thats for a year, not a semester.  Its 15K or so for a semester, and there are two semesters a year.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Colonel Cadillac

Saxonyron, my books this semester were more expensive than your actual first semster! You are one lucky guy!

TBR

Thats for a year, not a semester.  Its 15K or so for a semester, and there are two semesters a year.
That's what I was thinking, but Raza said otherwise.

MX793

QuoteIn that case Cornell will actually run you $60k per year  :o (I assumed they were by year since princetonreview.com didn't say otherwise).
I just looked it up the other day on Cornell's website which broke down expenses per semester.  It's 15K and change per semester, 31K per year.  That excludes room, board, books and other expenses.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

I should've known better than to listen to Raza ;)

Raza

QuoteI should've known better than to listen to Raza ;)
Well, I do know that my semester bills run around 5-6K, last year I paid about 15K (3 semesters, I took summer courses).  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

My parents will be paying a bit under $30K/year if I'm accepted to Northwestern (I'm not dorming).

J86

QuoteIn that case Cornell will actually run you $60k per year? :o (I assumed they were by year since princetonreview.com didn't say otherwise).
I just looked it up the other day on Cornell's website which broke down expenses per semester.  It's 15K and change per semester, 31K per year.  That excludes room, board, books and other expenses.
A very close friend is there.  Expenses are WELL over 40k, maybe over 45.

MaxPower

QuoteIn that case Cornell will actually run you $60k per year  :o (I assumed they were by year since princetonreview.com didn't say otherwise).
A very close friend is there.  Expenses are WELL over 40k, maybe over 45.
exactly...$31k in tuition plus 7k in room/board (maybe higher), plus activity fees, books, ect. and you hit $40k pretty quickly.  I think you two are one the same page.

My last year ('05) my room/board was over $7k, not at Cornell, but at a smiliar school.

Raza

PSU has a calculator on its website that allows you to estimate your per semester cost.  Mine was just over 10K, and only 6K was tuition.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i