big brother run amok

Started by veeman, February 09, 2013, 02:59:17 AM

veeman

recently moved to connecticut.  had to go to work and so was driving in my tank (buick enclave) in the middle of the blizzard.  it's so heavy, has fairly new tires, and is awd so it's pretty hard to get stuck even in 2 feet of snow as long as you're on the road and don't slide off the road.  it got me thinking.  these mandates by governors that it is "illegal" to drive seem awfully big brotherish.  yes, if i get stuck i'm causing a hazard and will divert valuable resourcese to save my ass but at the same time, you can make a similar argument to outlaw mountain climbing.  i think these laws cross the line.  it's like a hurricane/flood warning.  you can be a dumb ass and ride it out and may be die but they won't arrest you for staying.  i don't like laws which try to protect me from myself.  seat belts are a good thing.  bike helmets are a good thing.  but when will it stop.  it's already crossed into no large sugary drinks.  in 10 years they will have laws preventing you from driving during certain times of the day routinely because of work related traffic.  if your license plate ends with an odd number, you can't drive between 7 and 8 am and if you're license plate ends with an even number, you can't drive between 8 and 9 am.  think i'm kidding...  you'll see.   

Payman

It was probably a necessary evil in this case so the snowplows could clear the roads unimpeded.

GoCougs

It is immoral, and I can't see how any American would follow suit. I certainly wouldn't.

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on February 09, 2013, 07:32:55 AM
It is immoral, and I can't see how any American would follow suit. I certainly wouldn't.

I believe you.

veeman

Came home this morning (i work the graveyard shift).  Low and behold, I-95 is clear and i'm driving in connecticut with a convoy of about 30 other passenger cars.  Stupid scare tactics.  We live in a curfew state. It's the end of the republic as we know it.

J86

makes me fucking furious.  going to turn me into one of those looney toons woods people one of these days

Rupert

Moving to Idaho? There are a lot of those dudes in this state.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

J86

Rupert

Nah, we have some salt water pools.

Though I agree that that is a major problem.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

J86

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on February 09, 2013, 09:04:50 AM
Came home this morning (i work the graveyard shift).  Low and behold, I-95 is clear and i'm driving in connecticut with a convoy of about 30 other passenger cars.  Stupid scare tactics.  We live in a curfew state. It's the end of the republic as we know it.

The road was clear because people were ordered off it at the height of the storm.  Otherwise, there would have been stranded cars all over, and you wouldn't have been able to get through.  When your actions and decision affect others beyond a certain point, you have to accept limitations sometimes in the name of the greater good.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

S204STi

Quote from: Rockraven on February 09, 2013, 06:15:57 AM
It was probably a necessary evil in this case so the snowplows could clear the roads unimpeded.

This.

veeman

It was a snowstorm.  Period.  They occur every year.  People get stranded every year.  It's becoming a nanny state.  Give all the warnings and admonishments you want.  Once you start weilding the threat of arrest, fines, and imprisonment, they've crossed the line.  Why not ban walking outside?  A tree could fall on you diverting precious emergency services?  Why not impose a curfew?  Then the roads AND sidewalks can be clear.  It's the end of the republic.  All for the common good.   

GoCougs

Quote from: Rockraven on February 09, 2013, 06:15:57 AM

Government always has a reason.

It would never fly in the PNW states. At worst they'll close a mountain pass for avalanche control.

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on February 10, 2013, 09:18:09 PM

It was a snowstorm.  Period.  They occur every year.  People get stranded every year.  It's becoming a nanny state.  Give all the warnings and admonishments you want.  Once you start weilding the threat of arrest, fines, and imprisonment, they've crossed the line.  Why not ban walking outside?  A tree could fall on you diverting precious emergency services?  Why not impose a curfew?  Then the roads AND sidewalks can be clear.  It's the end of the republic.  All for the common good.   

No, it was an unusually large blizzard.

TurboDan

They tried this in NJ during Hurricane Sandy but nobody listened. The only places that were truly blocked off were areas where you needed to cross a bridge to get there. And even then, we had a flotilla of people crossing the bay in boats because the roadways were being blocked by police.

The NJ State Police eventually installed infrared cameras on top of water towers on the barrier islands so they could pinpoint incoming boats at night and send police boats out to turn them around.

Raza

Quote from: TurboDan on February 11, 2013, 09:46:59 AM
They tried this in NJ during Hurricane Sandy but nobody listened.

And........................................people died.

Declaring a state of emergency can make sense sometimes. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Speed_Racer

Seems like a necessary evil because the average human is an idiot that does increasingly stupid things because they don't stop and think beforehand.

Plowing snow in a blizzard is hard enough, having to dodge (dark, empty) stranded cars is even worse. More time plowing = more tax dollars, slower response, angrier crowd of stupid people.

Payman

Quote from: veeman on February 10, 2013, 09:18:09 PM

How upset would you be if it took 3 extra days to plow the roads? The extra tax dollars to rescue stupid people? Come on, Chicken Little, government wouldn't need to do this if society wasn't made up of so many dumb people.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rockraven on February 11, 2013, 02:36:29 PM
How upset would you be if it took 3 extra days to plow the roads? The extra tax dollars to rescue stupid people? Come on, Chicken Little, government wouldn't need to do this if society wasn't made up of so many dumb people.

And how did they get so "dumb" (actually, entitled/spoiled/irrational)?

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on February 11, 2013, 03:15:41 PM
And how did they get so "dumb" (actually, entitled/spoiled/irrational)?
We got so dumb because dumb people breed more than intelligent people, therefore there are more of them...and we don't believe in Survival of the Fittest anymore.  Dumb people don't die from their dumb decisions anymore.  Intelligence is being bred out of society.

Soon we will have nations of retards being governed by mildly smarter retards.  We're almost there anyway.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on February 11, 2013, 03:27:53 PM
We got so dumb because dumb people breed more than intelligent people, therefore there are more of them...and we don't believe in Survival of the Fittest anymore.  Dumb people don't die from their dumb decisions anymore.  Intelligence is being bred out of society.

Soon we will have nations of retards being governed by mildly smarter retards.  We're almost there anyway.

We got so "dumb" (entitled/spoiled/irrational) because the consequences for our "dumb" choices (choose to not have a job, choose to have too big a mortgage, choose to not have healthcare, choose to not save for retirement, etc., etc.) are covered up by government. Give those bad snow drivers big tickets and big bills/fines and watch them get a whole lot smarter real quick.

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on February 11, 2013, 03:46:19 PM
We got so "dumb" (entitled/spoiled/irrational) because the consequences for our "dumb" choices (choose to not have a job, choose to have too big a mortgage, choose to not have healthcare, choose to not save for retirement, etc., etc.) are covered up by government. Give those bad snow drivers big tickets and big bills/fines and watch them get a whole lot smarter real quick.

Isn't that exactly what you're arguing against?

J86

I sent it north at 6pm on Friday, taking the inland route to avoid Mass's road closures, and had a GREAT weekend skiing in VT.  What emergency?

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on February 11, 2013, 02:22:25 PM
And........................................people died.

They did?  :huh:

The only two people who died in the storm in my county (where the storm hit) were old people who died of heart attacks in their houses. We got the official "death list" from the prosecutor's office after the storm.

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on February 11, 2013, 03:27:53 PM

Idiocracy is not a documentary...

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Rockraven on February 11, 2013, 05:36:23 PM
Isn't that exactly what you're arguing against?

What is "exactly what?"