Porsche v R1 v Tornado

Started by Selespeed, November 04, 2005, 06:05:58 AM

giant_mtb

Very interesting...I figured the bike would dust them off the line, but would shortly be overcome by the jet, but it took longer for that to happen than I had expected.  I had expected the bike to stay ahead of the Porsche the whole way as well, but maybe I was wrong or the rider just let off.

Raza

I mean, Shumacher's F1 car lost 2/3 to a fighter jet, I really didn't expect any of the road vehicles to win, but I was surprised that the Porsche beat the R1.  Was it a 911 Turbo, GT3, or GT2?  I figure the GT2 would be the only one which could do that.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

They've got a video of the roundabout drift in The Dukes of Hazzard movie, which was really cool.  I've tried sustaining a drift like that in GT4, but the closest I could get was about 150 or so degrees before the rear totally came around on me.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Fire It Up

The bikers must have let off.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raza

QuoteThe bikers must have let off.
Probably not.  An R1 is a stock bike, and they're susceptible to drag and drivetrain loss too (I think so, anyway) so the bike's engine may not have had enough power to run at such high speeds.  If the 911 was a GT2, the turboes would just be kicking in full power through 3rd gear, and there'd be no multipilied loss since the GT2 is a 2WD car, theoretically giving it enough power to rocket it past the bike.  The bike was is the lead, and presumably not watching his mirrors (you don't in a drag race)--there was no reason for him to let off the accelerator.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

C4 Corvette Crash at 165

I've seen this before, but it is fun to watch.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Fire It Up

I'm not sure what you just said, but...
R1 1/4 mile: 9.93 sec @ 147.4mph
GT2 1/4 mile :    12.0 sec @ 121 mph
Look at the difference in trap speed. I'm not saying its impossible that the Porsche really beat it, but I'm doubting it....

Raza

QuoteI'm not sure what you just said, but...
GT2 1/4 mile :    12.0 sec @ 121 mph
Look at the difference in trap speed. I'm not saying its impossible that the Porsche really beat it, but I'm doubting it....
Was that just a 1/4 mile?  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Fire It Up

QuoteC4 Corvette Crash at 165

How were the damn Taureses so close behind him?

Raza

They were probably Crown Vics or Caprices, and they have high top speeds.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Fire It Up

GT2 1/4 mile :  12.0 sec @ 121 mph
I don't know. But the Yamaha tops aout a bit over 170mph, and it should go like a rocket until its way up there....you think the biker  could have topped out?

Fire It Up

They showed Taures (how do you spell it?) cops at the end.

Raghavan

GT2 1/4 mile :? 12.0 sec @ 121 mph
I don't know. But the Yamaha tops aout a bit over 170mph, and it should go like a rocket until its way up there....you think the biker  could have topped out?
No way.

Raghavan

Raza

They showed Taures (how do you spell it?) cops at the end.
From the look of the video, if the Vette was going 165, then the cops chasing him could not have been going less than 155.  Any larger differential than that, the Corvette would have been pulling away at a much more rapid than it seemed to be.  Perhaps they're specially built police-only vehicles?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Fire It Up

155mph Taureses? Thats insane. ^_^

Raghavan

Quote155mph Taureses? Thats insane. ^_^
Not really, especially if they're SHO's.

JYODER240

It took the Porsche approx 25sec to pass the R1, It that time It could probably be doing 200mph. if the the R1 is doing 170 It doesnt seem entirely impossible that the Porsche could pass it like that.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

BMWDave

QuoteIt took the Porsche approx 25sec to pass the R1, It that time It could probably be doing 200mph. if the the R1 is doing 170 It doesnt seem entirely impossible that the Porsche could pass it like that.
I timed it, you were right on the nose! 25 seconds to pass...-

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...