TDI fades into regulatory oblivion; Enter Miata

Started by Tave, February 24, 2013, 02:15:38 PM

Payman

Quote from: r0tor on December 20, 2016, 05:43:44 AM
I know my neighbor is pretty pissed.  He thought his deal was going through in October, bought a new truck that had a massive incentive option he couldn't pass up thinking he was going to get the money for his car within a week...

Well, it's been over 2 months and his Jetta is still in his driveway and he is making truck payments b that he wasn't planning on doing

Sawzall time. Seriously though, it's hard to feel sorry for him. These things always drag out far longer than promised.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 20, 2016, 12:19:56 AM
Shit I need a new cargo cover for my car, I wish I had a friend with a Golf TDI abt to be turned in.

Shoulda gotta sedan. 
Now all you can do is get a Mexican blanket.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Tave

Quote from: Rockraven on December 20, 2016, 06:03:32 AM
Sawzall time. Seriously though, it's hard to feel sorry for him. These things always drag out far longer than promised.

October was jumping the gun quite a bit--all he needed to do was read the literature VW mailed--but they did set a hard schedule with upper-limits that they blew through about a month ago. Since then they've edited their website to remove all the "within 10 days" language and instructed their customer service reps to not give out any definite time estimates when queried.

Hard to feel too bad for him, but then again prior to ever sending out the packets with the detailed timeline, VW was giving projected return dates that were before final court approval, so they had as big a hand as anyone in the confusion.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Payman

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-refuses-to-buy-back-the-stripped-out-car-rig-1790345158

Turns out trying to be cute/funny by stripping the car before bringing it back, he caused himself a massive headache. Looks like VW will drag this out, and he might be faced with having to completely reassemble the car. Hope he labelled everything.  :facepalm:

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Rockraven on December 20, 2016, 08:34:31 PM
http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-refuses-to-buy-back-the-stripped-out-car-rig-1790345158

Turns out trying to be cute/funny by stripping the car before bringing it back, he caused himself a massive headache. Looks like VW will drag this out, and he might be faced with having to completely reassemble the car. Hope he labelled everything.  :facepalm:

That was a shitty thing to do. VW is already paying out the ass for it, why try to stick it to them by being a dick about it?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Dude is a lil attention hoe. Well, he got what he wanted, and now he's gonna pay for it. What kind of person has the time for this kind of shit anyway?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Tave

Owners have legitimate cause for greivance. VW is purporting to "buyback" the illegal vehicles and provide additional "restitution" to compensate for the fraud, but in no cases does the total payout even exceed the purchase price of the vehicle. If you don't elect into the class, you get to litigate against one of the biggest companies on the planet by yourself and still have an illegal vehicle that, depending on the state you live in, may not be eligible to re-register.

And then they have the balls to reduce your payout for mileage overages when they're the ones who have delayed scheduling buyback appointments!

To add insult to injury, they're going to recoup half their costs by just selling them in neighboring countries. So I have my car either taken from me, or severely devaluated, and at the end of the day I'm still breathing the same pollution!

If they were stupid enough to agree to "run under its own power" with no qualifications, then they don't deserve any more consideration than they've given the American public, which is essentially nothing at all.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

veeman

I don't believe they, as part of the settlement, can sell the car to other countries unless it is fully compliant with U.S. regulations.  Which essentially means they have to be made completely inoperable and buried because they have no plan in place for them to meet U.S. regulations.  They can however salvage/recycle parts.

MX793

Quote from: veeman on December 21, 2016, 06:00:32 PM
I don't believe they, as part of the settlement, can sell the car to other countries unless it is fully compliant with U.S. regulations.  Which essentially means they have to be made completely inoperable and buried because they have no plan in place for them to meet U.S. regulations.  They can however salvage/recycle parts.

If they can meet regulations in some other country as is, they don't need to be updated to pass US regs to be sold in that other country.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: Tave on December 21, 2016, 04:20:40 PM
Owners have legitimate cause for greivance. VW is purporting to "buyback" the illegal vehicles and provide additional "restitution" to compensate for the fraud, but in no cases does the total payout even exceed the purchase price of the vehicle. If you don't elect into the class, you get to litigate against one of the biggest companies on the planet by yourself and still have an illegal vehicle that, depending on the state you live in, may not be eligible to re-register.

And then they have the balls to reduce your payout for mileage overages when they're the ones who have delayed scheduling buyback appointments!

To add insult to injury, they're going to recoup half their costs by just selling them in neighboring countries. So I have my car either taken from me, or severely devaluated, and at the end of the day I'm still breathing the same pollution!

If they were stupid enough to agree to "run under its own power" with no qualifications, then they don't deserve any more consideration than they've given the American public, which is essentially nothing at all.

Aka par for the course for an automaker. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Buddy of mine is doing the buyout...his offer was a couple grand more than he paid for the car. :rockon:

Tave

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 22, 2016, 12:11:01 AM
Buddy of mine is doing the buyout...his offer was a couple grand more than he paid for the car. :rockon:

He must've got 20-30% off the sticker then, because I can see everyone's offer range and all of them undercut VW's MSRP by a healthy margin. I bought mine for +10% off list and am still only just barely getting that back (it's actually short $500-$1000). They were absolutely flying off the lots at the time too.

Tave

I haven't called the Fiat dealership back since scheduling my buyback, think it's a sign I'm set on the Miata.

Any good argument that the Multiair will be more robust than the Skyactive? Any DI carbon buildup horror stories? I've heard Mazda's new mills are actually noticeably better on that front than a lot of others.

MrH

Lol, no, I would definitely be more worried about the Multiair than the Skyactive.  That turd of an engine is the main reason I'd go Miata over the Fiat.

I'm still blown away at 22 psi required to be slower than the NA miata.  If the Miata is too slow for you, Edelbrock is making a supercharger for it with warranty :rockon:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: Tave on December 22, 2016, 06:04:20 AM
He must've got 20-30% off the sticker then, because I can see everyone's offer range and all of them undercut VW's MSRP by a healthy margin. I bought mine for +10% off list and am still only just barely getting that back (it's actually short $500-$1000). They were absolutely flying off the lots at the time too.

He got it used.  Paid around 11.5 and his offer was about 13.5.

MX793

Quote from: MrH on December 22, 2016, 10:22:18 AM
Lol, no, I would definitely be more worried about the Multiair than the Skyactive.  That turd of an engine is the main reason I'd go Miata over the Fiat.

I'm still blown away at 22 psi required to be slower than the NA miata.  If the Miata is too slow for you, Edelbrock is making a supercharger for it with warranty :rockon:

The Edelbrock warranty won't cover your shredded transmission.  Until Mazda beefs up the trans on the ND, I wouldn't be looking to add any significant power to it.  Unless a transmission swap is also part of the build.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

Quote from: MX793 on December 22, 2016, 10:25:46 AM
The Edelbrock warranty won't cover your shredded transmission.  Until Mazda beefs up the trans on the ND, I wouldn't be looking to add any significant power to it.  Unless a transmission swap is also part of the build.

Yeah, there's been a whole string of failed transmissions on the NDs. Mazda released a TSB. New part numbers for multiple things in the transmission, and there's been no failures since.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

How much more power does one need anyway? A couple of N/A bolt ons and this is flirting with a 13 second quarter mile. That's plenty fast for the street.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Tave

Are they all cycled in or are you still rolling the dice on models on the lot right now?

Fiata has the previous gen's trans which is more robust...

Tave

I'm not worried about the power in either at all, I'm not looking to do any engine alterations.

Cookie Monster

190 whp from bolt ons and a tune. That Skyactiv is fucking magical.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MrH

Quote from: Tave on December 22, 2016, 10:41:04 AM
Are they all cycled in or are you still rolling the dice on models on the lot right now?

Fiata has the previous gen's trans which is more robust...

There's a ton of them on the lots still.  They're holding model year 2017 miatas at the port because there's such a huge surplus of 2016s.  There's a build date change over point, so you could look at the VIN and determine if it has the new transmission or not.

There were also problems with the top early on too. Straps were failing, and weird wear parts.  Some people have had an entire new top installed via warranty.  Not sure if anyone has had both issues, but that would be brutal for Mazda.  Talking like $12k+ in warranty work on a <$30k car is crazy.

Keep in mind, the actual incident rates for these is really really small.  If it were me, I probably work out the best possible deal for a leftover 2016 miata that I could.  If transmission or top fails, that's what the warranty is for.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

Quote from: Cookie Monster on December 22, 2016, 10:51:13 AM
190 whp from bolt ons and a tune. That Skyactiv is fucking magical.

That's not consistent.  One dynoed there once I think.  They're having a hard time duplicating these numbers.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Tave

Quote from: MrH on December 22, 2016, 11:37:52 AM
There's a ton of them on the lots still.  They're holding model year 2017 miatas at the port because there's such a huge surplus of 2016s.  There's a build date change over point, so you could look at the VIN and determine if it has the new transmission or not.

There were also problems with the top early on too. Straps were failing, and weird wear parts.  Some people have had an entire new top installed via warranty.  Not sure if anyone has had both issues, but that would be brutal for Mazda.  Talking like $12k+ in warranty work on a <$30k car is crazy.

Keep in mind, the actual incident rates for these is really really small.  If it were me, I probably work out the best possible deal for a leftover 2016 miata that I could.  If transmission or top fails, that's what the warranty is for.

Gracias for the information.

I did some digging, it appears all the Miatas on the local lot are pre-changeover. :thumbsup: Ah well like you said it's warrantied and only occurs on a small number of cars.

Still might check the surrounding city lots though.

MrH

Quote from: Tave on December 22, 2016, 12:26:50 PM
Gracias for the information.

I did some digging, it appears all the Miatas on the local lot are pre-changeover. :thumbsup: Ah well like you said it's warrantied and only occurs on a small number of cars.

Still might check the surrounding city lots though.

Yeah, the transmission issue looks to be an alignment problem on gears two and three, and that causes some sort of uneven load on the gear teeth, and they're actually sheering off.  Looks to be a tolerance stackup problem. They probably had a batch or two of a part come in that was at the edge of the allowable spec.

There's 7 club Miatas with a manual at my local dealer.  They've all been there since May or so.  I check to see what they have them listed for every so often.  Come February or so, they're going to be so desperate, I may test drive and see what they're like.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on December 21, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

VW doesn't salvage and recycle the parts themselves though (do they? It would be weird). They'll sell them to somebody who does though.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

Quote from: MX793 on December 21, 2016, 06:02:41 PM
If they can meet regulations in some other country as is, they don't need to be updated to pass US regs to be sold in that other country.

Negative.  The judgement clearly states that no VW diesel TDI which does not meet current U.S. regulations can be sold in another country regardless of that countries regulations.  The EPA made a specific point about that because they didn't want the same cars being returned to be sold in Mexico a month later.  The cars have to be made completely inoperable (the judgement/agreement mandated a hole being made in the engine block and the chassis sawed in half, or something to that effect.  I forget the exact wording but it was darn specific.)

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 22, 2016, 12:41:56 PM
VW doesn't salvage and recycle the parts themselves though (do they? It would be weird). They'll sell them to somebody who does though.

:huh: