TDI fades into regulatory oblivion; Enter Miata

Started by Tave, February 24, 2013, 02:15:38 PM

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Laconian on January 20, 2017, 07:29:04 PM
I wonder how well the adaptive cruise control works with stick shifts. I fucking love adaptive cruise but I've only used it in AT cars.

It cannot change gears (obviously) but it works OK on my car. FWIW I can change gears myself while the ACC is on. Throttle stops as soon as I depress the clutch and then starts again when I let off the clutch.

There is also a minimum speed (I think 35 mph) on the 6MT while the auto can go all the way down to a stop and then start again. Other cars may vary of course.

12,000 RPM

I still miss the speed limit feature... seems like standard fare in Europe. You set a speed and the car won't go faster than that. Good for people like me with lead feet
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 23, 2017, 05:51:07 AM
Nice, looks great. Will be funny for folks to see a 6' 6" dude hopping out of that tiny thing :lol:

It looks impossibly tiny from the outside, like no one should be able to get in it.

Inside it fits like a glove. I was a little nervous I wouldn't be comfortable on long drives but the trip to DC turned out to be a great litmus test. I have all the legroom I need but no room to recline. As a result it forces me to maintain good posture. That combined with the narrow side bolsters, webbed seat design, and the seatback heating element had me feeling like a million bucks at the end of the road trip. Usually anything longer than ~3hrs means guaranteed back pain.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MrH

:rockon:  Congrats.  Good call on the black interior instead of beige too.

Yeah, any comments on the adaptive cruise control?  I find it to be a real hit or miss on cars.  Some are great, some are terrible.  My buddy's Mazda6 works really well, but my old Genesis was pretty rough with it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 23, 2017, 06:56:19 AM
It cannot change gears (obviously) but it works OK on my car. FWIW I can change gears myself while the ACC is on. Throttle stops as soon as I depress the clutch and then starts again when I let off the clutch.

There is also a minimum speed (I think 35 mph) on the 6MT while the auto can go all the way down to a stop and then start again. Other cars may vary of course.

I looked at the manual. It has front facing cameras, but it's just for stupid shit: lane departure warnings and automatic high beam control. No adaptive cruise. BOO!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Quote from: Tave on January 23, 2017, 08:11:55 AM
It looks impossibly tiny from the outside, like no one should be able to get in it.

Inside it fits like a glove. I was a little nervous I wouldn't be comfortable on long drives but the trip to DC turned out to be a great litmus test. I have all the legroom I need but no room to recline. As a result it forces me to maintain good posture. That combined with the narrow side bolsters, webbed seat design, and the seatback heating element had me feeling like a million bucks at the end of the road trip. Usually anything longer than ~3hrs means guaranteed back pain.

So good to hear. Mmmmmm

cawimmer430

Noooooooooooooo! Not ANOTHER Miata owner on MiataSpin!  :shakesfist:  :facepalm:

Just kidding!  :lol:

Congrats! We expect some drift videos soon!  :cheers:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 23, 2017, 07:03:42 AM
I still miss the speed limit feature... seems like standard fare in Europe. You set a speed and the car won't go faster than that. Good for people like me with lead feet

That's the worst thing about driving my friend's cars in the UAE.  They have a warning at 120kph and it beeps and the gauge surround flashes orange.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 23, 2017, 07:03:42 AM
I have that feature on our Discovery, but I'm a bit leery of activating it in case I need some extra speed to get out of a situation.  However, there is another feature that invokes a flashing symbol in the cluster when exceeding a predetermined speed above the limit...it always captures the latest speed limit by reading speed limit signs.  I have it set to 20 kph about the speed limit.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Tave

The manual said not to drive at a constant speed for the first 600 miles so I've barely touched cruise control. I took back roads too so I wouldn't have used it anyways.

When you flip it on, the digital gauge cluster (normally engine temp + fuel) displays your mph and then you've got toggles on the wheel to adjust it up or down in 1mph increments. Pretty standard but about all you need and they packaged it nicely.

Really like the active headlights--I always forget to turn my brights back on after passing people.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

The digital cluster is pretty schweet itself. Very clean and it integrates nicely with the analog tach/speedo. That temp gauge comes with a little blue hold light on startup that flicks off when the engine warms up and the needle appears.

It lets you know when to rev the snot out of it.

AutobahnSHO

Will

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Laconian

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Tave

Quote from: MrH on January 23, 2017, 08:19:36 AM
:rockon:  Congrats.  Good call on the black interior instead of beige too.

I didn't see the red/beige combo anywhere near me. I would've preferred it being an easier color to live with in the summer.

They had to go a few shades too light on it to match the dark red and other colors though, the black pairs better with mine. I like the grey and blue with the beige a lot.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on January 23, 2017, 10:21:29 PM
I didn't see the red/beige combo anywhere near me. I would've preferred it being an easier color to live with in the summer.

They had to go a few shades too light on it to match the dark red and other colors though, the black pairs better with mine. I like the grey and blue with the beige a lot.

Blue and beige is a classic combination.  With gray, I think I'd go black though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza  on January 23, 2017, 06:49:44 PM
Congratulations!  What color is it?

Looks sort of greenish/purple in those pics, but it could just be the angle.

Rich

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 24, 2017, 07:05:37 AM

I think more purple than green.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 24, 2017, 10:11:57 AM
Can't see the pics. What color did you get?

I think we are still figuring that out.

I am almost positive the interior is a sort of tan(ish) grey though.

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 24, 2017, 07:05:37 AM
What pics are you looking at? :confused:

giant_mtb

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 24, 2017, 01:38:36 PM
What pics are you looking at? :confused:

Try looking at it with your left eye closed.

If that doesn't work try again with both eyes closed...

FoMoJo

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

FoMoJo