First Drive: 2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6

Started by BMWDave, November 05, 2005, 08:22:15 PM

BMWDave

Link

Adult Fun for the Over-Evo Crowd
By Kelly Toepke
Date posted: 11-03-2005

Grown-ups no longer need to be embarrassed by the wing on their Mitsubishi Evolution. Instead of wheels that scream "boy racer," Mazda is offering adults a less conspicuous way to express their need for speed with the new all-wheel-drive 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 sedan.

Mazdaspeed, the Japanese automaker's performance arm, had already worked over the small Proteg? sedan and Miata MX-5 roadster. Now it's time for the Mazda 6 to get a performance upgrade as well.

Adult Toy Box
Unlike the all-wheel-drive Evo and Subaru WRX STi, the turbocharged Mazdaspeed 6 doesn't announce itself with large spoilers and aggressive hood scoops. Instead, this $28,000 sleeper sedan is "intentionally understated," says Shiro Yoshioka, vice president of research and development for Mazda's North American Operations. "It's an adult's car, not an extroverted toy with wings or scoops everywhere. We could have chosen to install a large hood scoop, but that wouldn't be as elegant or well-suited to the theme of the car."

Instead of sporting a seriously showy exterior, the Mazdaspeed 6's front bumper and lower grille simply allude to performance. The upper grille keeps the standard 6's five-point look, while discreetly breathing air to the intercooler. Wider front fenders crown the standard 18-inch aluminum wheels and tires, and side skirts have been added for improved aerodynamics. In the rear, dual tailpipes resonate with a throaty exhaust note below the conservative rear lip spoiler.

Motorsports Technology
But, don't let the low-key look fool you. Underneath the Mazdaspeed 6's sedate hood line beats an all-aluminum turbocharged 2.3-liter, inline four-cylinder engine with direct injection rated at 274 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 280 pound-feet of torque at 3,000 rpm. These figures make this stealthy four-door the most powerful sedan Mazda has ever built.

Mazda describes this new low-emission (LEV-II) engine as Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI), a power plant that's keen on performance. "A lot of technology we learned in racing we transferred back to the Mazdaspeed 6, and the DISI engine is a prime example," says Todd Kaneko, manager of Mazdaspeed. With DISI, torque is increased by injecting fuel directly into the combustion chamber. As a result, the turbocharger delivers much of its 15.6 psi of boost from approximately 2,500 rpm, making the small engine feel like one twice its size, while still earning impressive EPA ratings of 20 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway. Kaneko says the DISI engine is likely to carry over to future Mazda vehicles as well.

Unlike the standard Mazda 6 which offers the choice of a manual five-speed or an automatic six-speed transmission for its V6 units, the Mazdaspeed 6 only comes with a short-throw six-speed manual shifter. Expect to make quick work of gears two and three on the way to 60 mph, but that's no cause for concern. Even in 4th gear there's still plenty of power lying in wait.

So It Moves, but How Does It Handle?
If you've already experienced the Mazda 6's precise rack and pinion steering, then you'll know just what to expect from the Mazdaspeed version. The same quick, crisp response that makes the 6 such a pleasure to drive is readily apparent in the performance version, and a firm brake pedal combines with ventilated front discs and solid rear discs to confidently distribute stopping power as needed. Antilock brakes with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution are standard, as are traction control and Dynamic Stability Control for added security.

Keeping the Mazdaspeed brand's performance promise, overall rigidity has been improved by 50 percent over the naturally aspirated 6 with upgrades including additional steel in the front and rear bumper areas, and extra reinforcement at the suspension mounting points. Additionally, the front double-wishbone and rear multilink suspension has been retuned to handle the added torque from the Mazdaspeed car's turbocharged engine.

An all-new active-torque-split all-wheel-drive system also plays a part. The system incorporates real-time input data to determine road surface and driving conditions, then selects between Normal, Sport and Snow modes to provide the most power and traction. In Normal mode, power is applied to all wheels, with the majority of the power headed to the front. During heavy acceleration, Sport mode takes over, transferring 50 percent of the torque to the rear. In Snow mode, traction to all wheels is maximized.

A torque-sensing limited-slip differential (also used on the Mazda RX-8) optimizes torque and ensures power delivery when cornering or driving on slippery surfaces. The result is a sedan that remains stable in the corners allowing the driver to push the fun envelope, yet still providing a comfortable, smooth ride for its occupants.

Nothing Bare-Bones About It
Inside, the Mazdaspeed 6 keeps all of the creature comforts found in the Mazda 6 with the exception of the 6's fold-down rear seat. Engineers had to let that one go in favor of a large rear brace for added stiffness.

Available in two trim levels, Sport or Grand Touring, the Mazdaspeed 6 offers a level of luxury that competes more with an Audi A4 2.0T quattro or a BMW 330xi than the Subie or Mitsu. Tight-fitting power sport seats wrapped in black fabric, a Bose in-dash six-disc CD changer and automatic climate control come standard on the Sport.

Move up to the Grand Touring for another $1,930 and you'll add leather seats in a choice of two color combinations, xenon headlamps and Mazda's advanced keyless entry and start system, which doesn't require you to insert the key into the ignition. A DVD-based navigation system can be added to either model, and a power sunroof is only available on the Grand Touring version.

No matter which Mazdaspeed 6 model you choose, you'll find a roomy, sporty interior with plenty of red illumination on the dash and center stack. Quality brushed aluminum bezels surround the gauges, and an alloy pedal set reminds the driver that the Mazdaspeed 6 is both show and go. The door handles are chrome-plated and the power window switches are silver to complete the look.

Put It on Your Performance List
Although the standard Mazda 6 is built in Flat Rock, Michigan, due to its complexity, the Mazdaspeed 6 comes from Hofu, Japan. Five thousand cars per year are expected to ship to the United States, keeping sales volume relatively low. While this polished sedan has more luxury features than the STi and Evo and is priced lower than the A4 2.0T quattro and 330xi, Mazda isn't expecting to revolutionize the performance sedan industry. But if Hiroshima's new sleeper sedan can coax a few shoppers away from Audi and BMW showrooms, and allow a few boys to grow up and graduate from their winged wonders, the 2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 will have accomplished its mission.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Run Away

I don't like the ugly hood, reminds me of the aftermarket cowl hood on RS200's brother's car.

TBR

MX793

I don't think it's quite as good looking as the regular 6 sedan, but it's not too bad.  I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen in it.  Sounds like the performance is there.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

I like it, but is it as good or fast as the Volvo S60R or Subaru Legacy 2.5GT?  With only 274bhp it won't be prying the keys from Evo or STi drivers--it doesn't offer anywhere near the same driving experience (I am assuming here, that it will be more polished, not necessarily something Evo drivers are looking for), but they might be able to snag marketshare from the Legacy 2.5GT and Audi A4 2.0T.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

QuoteI like it, but is it as good or fast as the Volvo S60R or Subaru Legacy 2.5GT?  With only 274bhp it won't be prying the keys from Evo or STi drivers--it doesn't offer anywhere near the same driving experience (I am assuming here, that it will be more polished, not necessarily something Evo drivers are looking for), but they might be able to snag marketshare from the Legacy 2.5GT and Audi A4 2.0T.
The article title: "Adult Fun for the Over-Evo Crowd"

It's not trying to out-Evo an Evo, it will probably be going after the Jetta GLI, Altima SE-R, the Legacy GT, and maybe some low-end entry-lux cars like the base A4, 9-3, or TSX.  

Raza

QuoteI like it, but is it as good or fast as the Volvo S60R or Subaru Legacy 2.5GT?  With only 274bhp it won't be prying the keys from Evo or STi drivers--it doesn't offer anywhere near the same driving experience (I am assuming here, that it will be more polished, not necessarily something Evo drivers are looking for), but they might be able to snag marketshare from the Legacy 2.5GT and Audi A4 2.0T.
The article title: "Adult Fun for the Over-Evo Crowd"

It's not trying to out-Evo an Evo, it will probably be going after the Jetta GLI, Altima SE-R, the Legacy GT, and maybe some low-end entry-lux cars like the base A4, 9-3, or TSX.

Grown-ups no longer need to be embarrassed by the wing on their Mitsubishi Evolution. Instead of wheels that scream "boy racer," Mazda is offering adults a less conspicuous way to express their need for speed with the new all-wheel-drive 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 sedan.

They continually compare it to those two cars, the Evo and STi, as if they were competitors in anything but price.  Just because it's a Japanese sedan with four cylinder and a turbo is automatically an Evo fighter.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

It's for people who want an Evo, but don't want a stiff-riding $30,000 compact with a $15,000-level interior. Essentially it's a softer Evo, which would not put the two cars as true competitors.  

Secret Chimp

I wish the review didn't read like a press release.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Catman

I would have liked to see the hatch used for this model but I understand why they didn't use it.  The hatch looks nicer.

footoflead

QuoteI don't like the ugly hood, reminds me of the aftermarket cowl hood on RS200's brother's car.
I agree...it looks kinda funky...other than that not bad...change the hood and i wouldnt mind driving it B)  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

MX793

QuoteI don't like the ugly hood, reminds me of the aftermarket cowl hood on RS200's brother's car.
I agree...it looks kinda funky...other than that not bad...change the hood and i wouldnt mind driving it B)
The hood is raise to accomodate the top mounted intercooler.  It wasn't an aesthetic choice.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Run Away

What's wrong with a front-mount?

More efficient too...

footoflead

QuoteWhat's wrong with a front-mount?

More efficient too...
What is mazda thinkin
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

MX793

QuoteWhat's wrong with a front-mount?

More efficient too...
What is mazda thinkin
The top mount reduces the car's moment of inertia and helps with weight distribution.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Run Away

Intercoolers weigh less than 20lbs typically, especially the smaller units found on stock cars.

IMO, it's worth moving that weight 1-2 feet forward and lower in exchange for  the stock hood.

MX793

QuoteIntercoolers weigh less than 20lbs typically, especially the smaller units found on stock cars.

IMO, it's worth moving that weight 1-2 feet forward and lower in exchange for  the stock hood.
A liquid-air IC weighing less than 20 lbs?  The heat exchanger itself probably weighs 20 lbs, then add about 10 lbs per gallon for the coolant.  The impact on the yawing polar moment of inertia by moving the IC forward to the lower bumper region will be much greater than the impact on the CG height by moving from above the engine to down in the bumper.  The car is already front heavy, why make it any worse?
Needs more Jiggawatts

Run Away

No, an air-air is less than 20lbs.
I didn't know it had a liquid to air.

If it's that much of a hassle, relocate the battery.

Or maybe add water injection.

Raza

QuoteI would have liked to see the hatch used for this model but I understand why they didn't use it.  The hatch looks nicer.
I did the sedan, but I'd love the hatch!  Damn.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i