Audi #5 now in my driveway

Started by saxonyron, April 02, 2013, 10:47:33 PM

dazzleman

Nice!  I can't wait to see it on Friday.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TurboDan

Looks beautiful! Congrats!

My dad still has his '02 A6 going strong at approx 130K and has pledged not to replace it for a couple more years. :lol: (No big issues with his either, by the way, so your girls should be safe!)

He's a bit enamored by the CLA at the moment, by the way, likely to the horror of CarSPIN.  :thumbsup:

SJ_GTI

Quote from: saxonyron on April 03, 2013, 05:47:58 PM
Well well well...  :devil:  Thanks for the link. This has gotten dangerous thoughts going in my head.   Although, I guess I should wait a couple years when I'm out of the  100k warranty.  Chipping things tends to void warranties on very expensive repairs.  Unless the hackers have figured that out too.

I haven't really looked at mods in a long time, but isn't the deal with superchargers that changing the pulley or something is what can increase HP?

I actually have 55k on my S4 now. I should probably look in to some mods to see what's out there...

cawimmer430

You know, you could have gotten a sleek and smooth 6-speed sport manual transmission on a 4-cylinder Camry!  :evildude:

Congrats!  :mrcool:

To bad you guys don't get the Avant versions in the US. But wait, there's always the 3 mpg Q7!!!  :devil:  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: TurboDan on April 04, 2013, 12:08:50 AM
He's a bit enamored by the CLA at the moment, by the way, likely to the horror of CarSPIN.  :thumbsup:

I wasn't crazy about the CLA from the press photos, but after seeing it in person it does look quite nice. The proportions appear much better in real life than in the press photos.

Some snapshots I took. More here: http://www.carspin.net/index.php?topic=977.12360

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 04, 2013, 05:56:40 AM
I haven't really looked at mods in a long time, but isn't the deal with superchargers that changing the pulley or something is what can increase HP?

I actually have 55k on my S4 now. I should probably look in to some mods to see what's out there...

Look at the video Cale posted on page one.  It's just an ECU reflash.  There's a computer actuated blow off valve that's limiting the boost.  Apparently a reflash just ups the boost limit and dumps more fuel into it...BAM 70+ hp.  The video was interesting enough I started seeing what slightly used S5's with the V6 were going for :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on April 04, 2013, 07:29:33 AM
Look at the video Cale posted on page one.  It's just an ECU reflash.  There's a computer actuated blow off valve that's limiting the boost.  Apparently a reflash just ups the boost limit and dumps more fuel into it...BAM 70+ hp.  The video was interesting enough I started seeing what slightly used S5's with the V6 were going for :lol:

Can't see it at work, but will check it out once I get home.

Although I have to be honest, one thing I have NEVER thought while driving my S4: "Man I sure wish I had more power..." Would be interesting to see what it feels like. Of course our VP of Engineering has a CTS-V, so maybe then I can challenge him to a race.  :hmm:

MrH

The video:  Chris Harris gets a beat to hell S4 Avant (bought it from a family member?), races it against a brand new RS4 Avant.  He gets spanked.  Flashes it in 5 seconds, does it again, and he's within a half a car length the whole way.  400+ hp, 4.2 or so to 60 mph.

There are 2010 S4s with <15k miles for under $35k.  A chipped S4 is a killer deal.  Serious performance in a German luxury sedan for relatively cheap. 
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

hotrodalex

So ECU reflash + pulley change = 500 hp?  :rockon:

68_427

Quote from: saxonyron on April 03, 2013, 05:00:03 PM
:devil:  Don't tempt me.  Although I'm not sure how easy it is to chip these.  It was easier with the older turbos.

Very easy.  ;)

Audi S4 v Audi RS4. Does Supercharging Rule? - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Just noticed Ro already posted it.  Oh well.  Watch it again.    :devil:
'racecar is die'
no

Atomic

Gorgeous car! Beautiful color combination. One of the nicest shades of brown ever and I think my favorite of all interior colors. Superior choice. Congratulation on you new A6, Sax!

saxonyron

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 04, 2013, 05:56:40 AM

That would work by getting the supercharger to spin faster, just doubt all the electronic engine controls would allow such a simple mod like that any more.  Of course, if you watched the video link that Cale posted, it's as easy as downloading a song on your iPod.  If you're out of warranty, you should seriously consider a mod.  Imagine the fun you'd have with another few dozen horses under your hood.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: TurboDan on April 04, 2013, 12:08:50 AM
Looks beautiful! Congrats!

My dad still has his '02 A6 going strong at approx 130K and has pledged not to replace it for a couple more years. :lol: (No big issues with his either, by the way, so your girls should be safe!)

I wish I didn't put so many miles on my cars - I hate to go through them so quickly, but then again, a new car every 5 years is kind of nice.  And the CLA?  Very nice car.  I'd be tempted too!  Benz was still first at bat with that funky 4 door coupe look with the CLS, so they get the credit in my book.  But, the A7 is where he really should be looking.  :devil:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: 68_427 on April 04, 2013, 10:55:26 AM
Just noticed Ro already posted it.  Oh well.  Watch it again.    :devil:
I did!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: Atomic on April 04, 2013, 12:37:18 PM
Gorgeous car! Beautiful color combination. One of the nicest shades of brown ever and I think my favorite of all interior colors. Superior choice. Congratulation on you new A6, Sax!

Thanks, Atomic!  I'm pretty much in love with it.  Just drove from a meeting near Boston that ran long.  Had to boot it back to the office in time for another one, and somehow turned a Google Maps 40 min. trip into a 30 min. trip.  I might have flouted a couple of speed limits along the way.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Colin

Very nice.

The 3.0 supercharged engine is amazing...... it is what I have in my S5, too, though in Euro spec S4/S5 models get 333bhp, and after they put the Stop/Start system in it that I know all Americans love even more than the thought of diesel fuel (!), the CO2 rating is just 190g/km, which is very impressive (and important in Europe for fiscal reasons). 

68_427

Quote from: Colin on April 04, 2013, 12:55:25 PM
Very nice.

The 3.0 supercharged engine is amazing...... it is what I have in my S5, too, though in Euro spec S4/S5 models get 333bhp, and after they put the Stop/Start system in it that I know all Americans love even more than the thought of diesel fuel (!), the CO2 rating is just 190g/km, which is very impressive (and important in Europe for fiscal reasons). 

We get the same power ratings in the US for S models.
'racecar is die'
no

Colin

Quote from: 68_427 on April 04, 2013, 01:42:11 PM
We get the same power ratings in the US for S models.
...... and yet all the performance figures that are quoted for US models show significantly quicker 0 - 60 times? Must be the high quality fuel that you all use? 

SVT666

Quote from: saxonyron on April 04, 2013, 12:42:53 PM
That would work by getting the supercharger to spin faster, just doubt all the electronic engine controls would allow such a simple mod like that any more.  Of course, if you watched the video link that Cale posted, it's as easy as downloading a song on your iPod.  If you're out of warranty, you should seriously consider a mod.  Imagine the fun you'd have with another few dozen horses under your hood.
Changing the pulley will create more power but you have to reprogram the ECU to really make use of the mod to create monster power.  2007 Shelby GT500s with a pulley and tune were hitting over 600 hp.

MrH

Quote from: saxonyron on April 04, 2013, 12:42:53 PM

The supercharger is already making more boost than it uses.  The ECU reflash just changes the pressure the blow off valve opens up.  70+ hp gains on just an ECU reflash shows the stock pulley system is already enough for some big gains.  APR's stage II doesn't yield all that much more.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

93JC

Quote from: Colin on April 04, 2013, 01:58:02 PM
...... and yet all the performance figures that are quoted for US models show significantly quicker 0 - 60 times? Must be the high quality fuel that you all use? 

Different gear ratios? :huh:

68_427

Your models are usually said to do 0-62mph in XXX amount of seconds, which often times might require another shift.
'racecar is die'
no

saxonyron

Quote from: MrH on April 04, 2013, 03:12:56 PM
The supercharger is already making more boost than it uses.  The ECU reflash just changes the pressure the blow off valve opens up.  70+ hp gains on just an ECU reflash shows the stock pulley system is already enough for some big gains.  APR's stage II doesn't yield all that much more.

Sweet, so all I really need is some decent duct tape to seal up that BOV. No sense spending a grand on a reflash.  I'm on it!  :ohyeah:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

SVT666

Their times might include the 1 foot rollout.

Atomic

Quote from: saxonyron on April 04, 2013, 12:52:57 PM
Thanks, Atomic!  I'm pretty much in love with it.  Just drove from a meeting near Boston that ran long.  Had to boot it back to the office in time for another one, and somehow turned a Google Maps 40 min. trip into a 30 min. trip.  I might have flouted a couple of speed limits along the way.

Well, this means no stop at the Audi display at the show tomorrow, eh?! LMAO!  :evildude:

Somehow, I don't think we will be able to pull you away. No worries, though! I will be there with you. I am an enormous fan.

This buddy and avid Audi owner, Bill I mentioned to you -- perhaps why I accidentally referred to "Joe" as "Bill" buys A8's, S8's and now, the A7 is because money is no object -- no reference to Dan, of course. Bill's a great "do-anything-for-you friend" but he literally loads firewood in the back seat of his cars, never has them detailed and hardy ever washes them. On rare occasions, he will run a car through an automatic car washer. Eek! I cringe whenever I see his filthy cars, especially those scratched by those awful gas station brush cleaning automated washers.

Another must stop for me: Volvo! Right, CJ? Lol. 

Colin

We will be stopping at Audi tomorrow.......... if only because I am sure Hector will want us to see BMW...........

And I will also make sure that Abarth and the F Type Jaguar are on the "must see" stands for us all!

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on April 04, 2013, 07:52:36 AM
The video:  Chris Harris gets a beat to hell S4 Avant (bought it from a family member?), races it against a brand new RS4 Avant.  He gets spanked.  Flashes it in 5 seconds, does it again, and he's within a half a car length the whole way.  400+ hp, 4.2 or so to 60 mph.

There are 2010 S4s with <15k miles for under $35k.  A chipped S4 is a killer deal.  Serious performance in a German luxury sedan for relatively cheap. 

Playing w/boost = risking engine longevity (esp. as it pertains to piston-killing detonation), and in particular for the S4 if it has the DSG, risking a $10,000 tranny...

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 05, 2013, 08:33:10 AM
Playing w/boost = risking engine longevity (esp. as it pertains to piston-killing detonation), and in particular for the S4 if it has the DSG, risking a $10,000 tranny...
:rolleyes:

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on April 05, 2013, 08:33:10 AM

Yeah, I agree.  I'd be more concerned about the transmission than the engine though.

Looks like for the stock tune, it cuts boost pretty dramatically at the upper revs.  This just allows it to mostly maintain boost in the upper revs.

But I'd prefer want a 6-speed with it.  Grenading a conventional clutch isn't that big of a deal.  Blowing up a DSG is a costly repair.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited